Why Turf?

Guest L212

Why are all the new / renovated high school stadiums in the area going to artificial turf?  Aren't most of the colleges and NFL teams going the other way, from artificial turf to natural grass - at least in the warm-weather areas?

Since I first asked this question this morning, I've done some unscientific research and found out a few things.  I repeat my research was very unscientific but here's what I found.

First, there is no question that synthetic turf costs substantially more to install than a natural grass surface.  And these is no guarantee that these extra costs will be made up over the 8 to 15 year useful lifetime of the synthetic turf.  Also, there ARE maintenance costs with the synthetic turf although these costs are sometimes overlooked when considering the entire cost of the new surface.

Second, it is generally agreed that the surface temperature of synthetic turf is noticeably higher than that of natural grass.  This could be a big issue in southeast Texas in August and September. 

As for injuries, I found articles citing studies indicating there are less injuries on the new synthetic turf and I found articles saying there were more.

The one clear advantage to synthetic turf that I found was it's ability to handle more play especially during or just after bad weather. 

To be clear, I'm not necessarily against synthetic turf.  I just find it strange that our local high schools (BISD, PN-G, and Nederland??) seem to believe that synthetic turf is a "must-have" when, like I said in my initial post, colleges, and MLB and NFL teams are playing on grass instead.  Why do our area stadiums need synthetic turf when grass is preferred by UT, A&M, LSU, Texans, Astros, etc?  I realize that the Texans and Astros have retractable roofs but don't A&M and LSU get as much rain as we do?

As for making our teams more competitive, didn't PN-G, French, West Orange, West Brook, Newton, and Nederland (and some other local schools that I can't remember off the top of my head) all win state championships with natural grass in their home stadiums?

Just my thoughts.

Real football is on grass!  Turf is for wimps!   ;D ;D ;D ;D .  How does SFA85 say it?  'Sissy' football.

those wimpy broncos like it!!   ;)

;D Horses run better on turf.  They are the exception!  ;D

I'll definitely miss watching the broncos and the Jags go at it next year, the jags were fast on turf!!

Real football is on grass!  Turf is for wimps!   ;D ;D ;D ;D .  How does SFA85 say it?  'Sissy' football.

those wimpy broncos like it!!   ;)

;D Horses run better on turf.  They are the exception!  ;D

I'll definitely miss watching the broncos and the Jags go at it next year, the jags were fast on turf!!

Yea, and we don't get a chance to play on it much.  But when we do, look out!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43