Neumann to interview at La Marque

Neumann to interview at La Marque

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND — Larry Neumann told the Port Arthur News Monday that he would talk with La Marque ISD representatives about the Cougars’ head football coaching position later this week.

The winningest head football coach in Nederland High School history, Neumann acknowledged that he submitted an application for the position “about a month ago.†Chris Jones resigned after one season at La Marque on Feb. 15.

“I think they are definitely in a very preliminary stage of their selection process,†the 56-year-old Neumann said, denying rumors which circulated on Monday that Larry was a finalist for La Marque’s head coaching job.

“If I am a finalist in La Marque’s selection process at this point, I am not aware of it,†the Pasadena native said.

The Galveston Daily News reported in Sunday’s edition that Neumann was included among 34 head coaching applicants which also included Port Arthur Memorial assistant and former La Marque assistant Phillip Mattingly as well as current Nimitz head coach David Suggs, the former head football coach at both Lincoln and Beaumont Central.

A hiring firm of individuals was contracted by La Marque’s school district to contact prospects for the position, according to Neumann.

“I haven’t been interviewed yet by anybody,†Neumann said Monday night. “I got a phone call by a committee member who has been asked to be involved in the screening process. They’re supposed to interview me sometime this week in the Houston area. That’s what I know about the whole situation.â€

Neumann has guided the Bulldogs to a Southeast Texas record 11 straight bidistrict appearances and 10 straight bidistrict victories. His annual salary is listed at $78,000 after 15 seasons. It is believed La Marque greatly would increase that amount but nothing of a financial nature has been discussed with Neumann and La Marque officials as of Monday.

“It’s really unique to my knowledge but a group of men have been contracted by the La Marque ISD to be involved in the search and to talk with various coaching prospects,†Neumann explained.

“When you reach the stage I’m at, you get pretty selective about the positions which even contain any appeal at all. There are three things about this situation that interest me. Obviously, this is an opportunity that could benefit you financially.

“Two other things about it are first, it’s on the Upper Texas Gulf Coast which is where we are and which is where I want to stay. Second, it’s a place where you have a great chance to be successful. We’ve looked into it and we will see what develops.â€

A graduate of Lamar University, Neumann was most enthusiastic a few months ago when 79 percent of Lamar’s students voted in favor of an activity fee to support the likely return of Lamar football. Neumann talked in casual conversations as if he would be very interested in the opportunity to coach at Lamar.

Neumann expected to speak to a committee of at least four people from the hiringfirm later this week.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can the man mess up when he is fifty six years old and wants to peak out before he retires? He makes seventy eight thousand and with the track record is a joke. Yea that is good money for the GT but is nothing compared to what he can make west of the Trinity. He prolly wants to max out for the next four or five yeas and then go to the house. Sorry for Nederland but have to do what is best for his family.

Guest ECBucFan

I believe money is not the #1 factor in a persons happiness. I personally have declined "better" jobs, with more pay and benefits, to continue working for an employer who I am comfortable with. What if, and I stress IF, Neumann is not a good fit, and some of the loud LM fans soon turn on him. At best, Larry would have a continuing headache...at worst, that great money ends if he ends up getting tossed after a year or two.

If he does leave NHS, I would much prefer that it would be for the HC job at Lamar. 

I think what Coach Neumann was referring to about coaching at Lamar was that he wouldn't mind being an assistant there. I think he knows that Lamar will not hire a high school coach to be their head coach and start the program up.

I think Larry Newman is a class act. He has been a great coach at Nederland for a long time. He has been good for sports in the golden triangle area. I'm sure the fans in Nederland will feel bad if he does leave. Like I sad he is a class act. He has always been gracious in winning or loosing. He has never rubbed it in if he beat you. If he does leave he will be successfull no mater where he coaches. I think he would be an asset at Lamar if he chooses to go there. I think he could possibly win a state championship if he goes to LM.

Guest 87CRU79

If Coach Neumann wants to win him a state championship at La Marque, by all means, I wish him the best. Just the timing of the matter is what throws me for a loop. If he decides to take the job at LM, it doesn't leave the Bulldogs with a lot of time to hire a new AD, HC, or an AD/HC. They would have to appoint Monte Barrow or a Bryan Spell to the HC position, and as stated earlier, hiring from within does not always pan out.

I wish Neumann the best in his endeavors and the Dogs good luck if they have to go on their first HC search in 15 years!

Guest Penny

Jake, you know as well as I, that our inability to play defense has not been coaching over the past couple of years.  You are a sharp football mind, I've read your posts, and I have a hard time thinking you truly believe that. 

NEDERLDAND IS NOT PHYSICAL ON DEFENSE... my thoughts are that players can change that.

Jake, you know as well as I, that our inability to play defense has not been coaching over the past couple of years.  You are a sharp football mind, I've read your posts, and I have a hard time thinking you truly believe that. 

NEDERLDAND IS NOT PHYSICAL ON DEFENSE... my thoughts are that players can change that.

I agree Penny. I do not want to lose Neumann at all. I was just saying that if we were to lose him that I hope we get a guy who can bring back the physical style Bulldog defenses from years past. I want Neumann to stay here until he retires!

Honestly, I think Newmann wants a ring before he retires. Let's face it, he's probably not gonna get one where he's at. Yes, Nederland has a fine tradition and he's been a big part of it. But, Nederland doesn't have near the talent base that he would have to pick from at a place like LaMarque. If it's a state title he wants, he definitely would find the tools there!

Guest Penny

Babe, here's what you'd probably hear on Newton street after watching film.

Man you need more athletes out there who can run to the ball.  Go get bigger and faster and then come talk to me and I'll tell you what we do here on Newton street. 

It's that simple, that's how long the brain picking would last.

There was a big knock down, drag out fight last time the HC/AD job was open in LM and the loser went on to win 4A Div1 chapionship.  I doubt they pass up Suggs, who is also a strong disciplinarian(for those who may have forgotten) plus he's a defensive mastermind and Nuemann is cotton soft when it comes to defense.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43

• Bye Week beat Beaumont United by double digits so not all is bad 😁
    • He made the comment as a business man he hated overtime. He never said or implied he wanted to do away with it. He has said overtime should not be taxed. That will benefit the refinery workers in our area big time…..as well as nurses. Not only would you not pay taxes and see the benefit immediately on your paycheck, my guess that at the end of the year, you would subtract all the overtime from your total wages, thus lowering your taxable imcome.
    • Well I thought it would be a better matchup for us more so than us versus yall and we got whooped 🤷🏾‍♂️ we'll see, long time before Ball High meets Lufkin though. 
    • Very critical win for Crosby last night. At no point has the current regime given me any reason to think Crosby should be able to pencil in wins but for the sake of discussion I will for FB Kempner who we play two weeks from now and also Porter who we play a couple of weeks after that. That means if Crosby can beat Kingwood Park next week we’ll most likely finish district play 5-2 and in at least 3rd place.    That being, the team could be a lot better if we had a competent offensive coach. Crosby’s offensive philosophy is to give it to Yarbrough and hope he breaks it which is why we lose to team with above average defensive talent. Crosby’s TE Landen Hammer is 6’2” and about 210lbs with crazy ball skills, an absolute mismatch problem and got one target last night. Friendswood realized Crosby had some playmakers on the edges and lots of times gave the receivers a 10 yard cushion. The problem is that Willis doesn’t know that so not once did we just raise up, throw it out to the receiver and give them an opportunity to be an athlete and make a play. So now that we’ve averaged 8 completions per game through our first four contest because 50% of the time Willis chooses to swap out 50% of the offense we look like we “don’t have the receiving talent that we used to.” Yarbrough probably had close to 300 rushing yards last night but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 35 carries. I like our backup RB but there are several kids who could help Crosby more at that position and Willis chooses not to play them there and feed Yarbrough to the point he couldn’t even finish the game last night. He continues to display an inability to efficiently use his personnel which is why we get blow out by any team with at least equal talent. Maybe something changes but Willis being 6-19 his last two and a half years on the sideline and his inability to shake the Cedar Park model don’t give much hope, which is unfortunate for the kids. 
    • Big girl is trying to make Oprah sound like Bam Morris, who was busted with 220# of weed in the trunk of his car. When the cops opened the truck and found the weed, Bam said,”That’s not mine”. Give me a break.
  • Topics