'Flutie Effect'

"Report says success on fields, courts means more applications" Interesing article in the Bmt. Enterprise that says there is some validity to a belief among college admission officials that the better their schools' teams do in high profile sporting venues, the more applicants apply.

I remember back in my dy poor Texas A&M was a fledging little prairie school. After a Cotton Bowl or two, the enrollment went up. Maybe LU can repeat the same 8)

Guest coachacola

I'm not a big believer in the Flutie Effect.  Having a successful, high-profile athletic department helps, but I think the location and quality of the school is more important.  Just look at UTSA, UTA, and Texas State, these are large universities mainly due to them being good schools in fast growing metro areas. 

Lamar's enrollment has historically followed the population of SETX, so if the area can start growing again then so will Lamar's enrollment.  But with the improvements Dr. Simmons has made at Lamar I can see more students from around the state attending school here.

I'm not a big believer in the Flutie Effect.  Having a successful, high-profile athletic department helps, but I think the location and quality of the school is more important.  Just look at UTSA, UTA, and Texas State, these are large universities mainly due to them being good schools in fast growing metro areas. 

Lamar's enrollment has historically followed the population of SETX, so if the area can start growing again then so will Lamar's enrollment.  But with the improvements Dr. Simmons has made at Lamar I can see more students from around the state attending school here.

Already...

Actually, LU's enrollment has improved because of quality dorms. Once they were built, the enrollment from Houston and the surrounding areas increased. Not taking anything from Simmons, but a ot of things were already in the making (Master Plan) before he took office.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo