Coach Roc on Bob West radio tonight

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Stated all three early signees at this time are still headed to Lamar and doesn't forsee that changing.

1. Skyler Williams who red-shirted this season at Chipola College due to injury was already back practicing with the team and looks good. Strong 6-2 combo who was a highly recruited QB in HS. Coach said he can play the 1, 2 or 3. I've seen video of him on the football field by rivals and a clip of him dunking in basketball. Looks to be real athletic just hope he is 100% once he gets to Lamar.

2. Brandon Moton, Beaumont's own coming home after two years at Angelina College. Coach Roc stated he finished the season strong putting up some impressive numbers.

3. Charlie Harper 6-6 wing from San Antonio who played in the class 5A state tournament. Didn't really go into detail about Charlie but I've heard other times when he mentioned some very positive things about Mr. Harper.

4. Question about Matt Barrow came up and Coach Roc didn't sound real comfortable talking about it because it involves not only his health but his academic work too.

5. Doesn't appear at this point Coach Roc will sign more than two players from the way he talked he is real happy with the guys he has coming back. Did state they would keep recruiting and could "possibility" add another guard and big man. Then Coach Roc stated something I personally was glad to hear. He wants to run even more in the future as the only reason why he "walked the ball up the court" the first season was for James Davis. He mentioned he enjoys coaching a running style of play and the fan's seem to enjoy a running style more. He said for that type of team "you can't have enough good guards" and "if we do sign a big man he'll have to be able to play that style of ball." Then he stated what that would be, he would have to able to put the ball on the floor, run, pass, play solid defense and be able to hit shots from not only the paint but step out and hit shots from the perimeter.

Did not quote him directly there because he mentioned quite a few things and I honestly couldn't remember what he said word for word.

6. His contract came up for conversation and he stated he feels he has always been done fairly by the administration here and he doesn't forsee any reason why he wouldn't be coaching Lamar for a long time.

The he again told of his love for Lamar and the sense of pride he feels being able to coach the school be grew up watching. I think this pretty much sums up his feelings, "My three sisters graduated from Lamar, I graduated from Lamar. I love Lamar, period."

He was on with Bob from 8:30-10:00PM so these are just the main points I thought I'd share for those who did not hear the show tonight.

When will Bob West get AD Tubbs on the show?

I would like Tubbs to get 1 pre-season Rockets game here per year and maybe a pre-season Texans game, plus

the PV/Southern game. If Lamar is building and renovating these facilities, lets put them to use.

Guest abovetherim

Great question, I guess we'll find out next season. I think a lot of people thought Lamar was doomed for failure after a 1-5 start and James Davis did not return and decided to play professionally. I think Lamar did not reach all their goals but the season was great IMO.

Welcome to the Lamar Forum.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo