This is a high school stadium

UNLV

Pizza Hut Park is actually a MLS soccer stadium where the FC Dallas team plays.  I don't think they play any HS football there.

Correct -- it's an SSS. Soccer specific stadium. For all you Univ of Houston fans on this board, it's known as Robertson North since the Dynamo dominate FC Dallas there!  ;)

UNLV, if you are going to attempt to compare apples to apples, check out Berry Center in Houston. ;)

Guest coachacola

Why does a 11,000 seat stadium need an upper deck?  It's a nice HS football stadium but smaller than most stadiums in the SLC. 

Their basketball arena is actually quite nice and fairly large at 8200 seats.  Maybe the SLC should hold their basketball tourney there instead of the Merrill Center.

Guest abovetherim

Berry Stadium is part of a $75 million facility. Cardinal Stadium at present holds almost 18,000. I like the ideas you guys have regarding the renovation of Cardinal Stadium. But I'm not saying if it is similar or not. I will say Berry Stadium is really nice.

Pizza Hut Park is actually a MLS soccer stadium where the FC Dallas team plays.   I don't think they play any HS football there.

Correct -- it's an SSS. Soccer specific stadium. For all you Univ of Houston fans on this board, it's known as Robertson North since the Dynamo dominate FC Dallas there!  ;)

UNLV, if you are going to attempt to compare apples to apples, check out Berry Center in Houston. ;)

It says 4 high schools use the stadium for home football. Besides, are you not ashame that the Berry Center, high school, is better than

SHSU....You should be...

It says 4 high schools use the stadium for home football. Besides, are you not ashame that the Berry Center, high school, is better than SHSU....You should be...

I'm surprised PHP is used for HS football games...still have not confirmed it out of that page you provided.

SHSU continues to upgrade their facility as it's much more cost efficient for our institution and is not needed (like our new baseball/softball complex was) to be build a new one.

In the last few years, we've added a video/scoreboard, some suites and constant upgrades to the track and field facility, which unlike Lamar, allows it to be suitable for conference track championships. A new sound system is on way as is a press box elevator and they will continue to spruce up the stadium. I think they could easily expand it if need be (we do not need it yet) and can continue to add amenities (like suites on the opposite side of the press box or increase the size of the pressbox while putting a second desk on the visitor side)...

It says 4 high schools use the stadium for home football. Besides, are you not ashame that the Berry Center, high school, is better than SHSU....You should be...

I'm surprised PHP is used for HS football games...still have not confirmed it out of that page you provided.

SHSU continues to upgrade their facility as it's much more cost efficient for our institution and is not needed (like our new baseball/softball complex was) to be build a new one.

In the last few years, we've added a video/scoreboard, some suites and constant upgrades to the track and field facility, which unlike Lamar, allows it to be suitable for conference track championships. A new sound system is on way as is a press box elevator and they will continue to spruce up the stadium. I think they could easily expand it if need be (we do not need it yet) and can continue to add amenities (like suites on the opposite side of the press box or increase the size of the pressbox while putting a second desk on the visitor side)...

Still SHSU fall short to high school. I'm not surprised.

UNLV, give us a breakdown of SLC stadiums since you like talking Southland stadiums...where does SHSU stand as far as conference stadiums? What do you think of Strawberry Stadium? Turpin? "The Hole"?

Also, what do you think of other FCS stadiums around the nation? Have you seen New Hampshire's in comparison to Kidd Brewer Stadium at Appalachian State? Or what about Wash-Griz Stadium in Montana with the old New York Times Square video board in comparison to Texas Southern? There's a wide, wide range...but you wouldn't know about that...

UNLV, give us a breakdown of SLC stadiums since you like talking Southland stadiums...where does SHSU stand as far as conference stadiums? What do you think of Strawberry Stadium? Turpin? "The Hole"?

Also, what do you think of other FCS stadiums around the nation? Have you seen New Hampshire's in comparison to Kidd Brewer Stadium at Appalachian State? Or what about Wash-Griz Stadium in Montana with the old New York Times Square video board in comparison to Texas Southern? There's a wide, wide range...but you wouldn't know about that...

SHSU stadium is less than a high school stadium and you have no problem with it. Thats find with me. I care about LU plans, not other FCS or SLC stadiums.

Guest coachacola

SHSU stadium is less than a high school stadium and you have no problem with it. Thats find with me. I care about LU plans, not other FCS or SLC stadiums.

I was at SHSU's stadium back in November for a HS playoff game and it's not a bad stadium.  It seats about 14,000 and has a nice turf and video scoreboard.  I know you like to give Texas Terror a hard time UNLV but their stadium is better than 99.9% of the HS stadiums out there.  The Berry Center might be nicer but I haven't been there.  The new Round Rock ISD stadium is also a nice stadium with a big video scoreboard and field turf.

Pizza Hut park in Frisco is used by Frisco ISD.  All Frisco HS use it, Frisco HS, Centennial HS, can't remember the other two cause thier new. Very nice place, I seen it in December and it's top notch. Berry Center is nicer I think because at Pizza Hut Park they have a stage at one end of the stadium and doesn't look as much of a stadium like the Berry Center.

I was at SHSU's stadium back in November for a HS playoff game and it's not a bad stadium.  It seats about 14,000 and has a nice turf and video scoreboard.  I know you like to give Texas Terror a hard time UNLV but their stadium is better than 99.9% of the HS stadiums out there.  The Berry Center might be nicer but I haven't been there.  The new Round Rock ISD stadium is also a nice stadium with a big video scoreboard and field turf.

It's a DI college, it should be better than 100% of high school. SHSU needs to keep up with other DI schools.

It's a DI college, it should be better than 100% of high school. SHSU needs to keep up with other DI schools.

SHSU is above and beyond many Div I schools at the FCS level -- Lamar is truly not going to have a better facility than 100% of HS stadiums in the state of Texas by any stretch of the imagination. SHSU has continued to upgrade the facility. What will Lamar do when they show their hand? They may upgrade to one of the best in the conference (doubt they will be #1), but even then, it will be behind someone somewhere in Texas...

SHSU is above and beyond many Div I schools at the FCS level -- Lamar is truly not going to have a better facility than 100% of HS stadiums in the state of Texas by any stretch of the imagination. SHSU has continued to upgrade the facility. What will Lamar do when they show their hand? They may upgrade to one of the best in the conference (doubt they will be #1), but even then, it will be behind someone somewhere in Texas...

All speculation. We will see when the plans are released. Do you like your Crow fried or steamed...

Guest coachacola
SHSU is above and beyond many Div I schools at the FCS level

That's true...there's a lot of small and rundown stadiums at the FCS level!!

Guest abovetherim

Texas Terror, I promise you it will be the finest facility in the SLC. That is all I'm saying until Lamar releases the architectural drawings. Think about it for a second, this is the same group that built Reliant Stadium.

You think they are going to put their name to something that isn't 1st class?

Texas Terror, I promise you it will be the finest facility in the SLC. That is all I'm saying until Lamar releases the architectural drawings. Think about it for a second, this is the same group that built Reliant Stadium.

You think they are going to put their name to something that isn't 1st class?

I am fired up baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest abovetherim

DP, I knew you would be. Wait til you see the new football complex. It is unbelievable! I can't wait until you all see what I had the opportunity to see. I'll put it this way, the only thing that rocked my world more was seeing my wife for the first time. BTW, I have to say that as she reads this stuff from time to time.  ;D

Don't want to be sleeping on the couch.  8)

Why does a 11,000 seat stadium need an upper deck?  It's a nice HS football stadium but smaller than most stadiums in the SLC. 

Their basketball arena is actually quite nice and fairly large at 8200 seats.  Maybe the SLC should hold their basketball tourney there instead of the Merrill Center.

Berry Center was designed to be a mini Rice Stadium.

All the stadium is between the 10 yard lines, eliminating the goal line seats.

The double deck is added to offer a better view point from the top rows.

This is by far the best high school football facility in this part of the state.

Stallworth is nice, and it seats more, but the double deck gives Berry Center a little more of an edge.

Lamar's stadium is at an automatic disadvantage with the largest sulfuric acid plant in the world located right across the railroad tracks from the stadium.  No matter how nice they design the stadium, the refinery just doesn't add to the "scenery".

Having said this...

I did enjoy the home games at Lamar (back when they had football).

The overall design of the stadium is nice.  The Montagne Center was a good fill in for the north endzone and does block a north wind on that side of the field.  If they are going to add on, it would be nice to add an endzone section on the south end so you would  have a tunnel for the teams to go out on the field.  When Lamar did play football there, the field was in excellent shape.  Will be interesting to see how they redo the stadium.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo