Former coach Kennan among 11 applicants to be LU football coach

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

After reading the article it really sounds like Coach Stump would like the job. Les Koenning Jr is a great coach. Maybe, I'm wrong about Coach Stump. Perhaps it is the guy who really wants the job that will do the best job. I just don't want a guy here for 3 years and jump to a better job. At least Coach Stump is well grounded in the area. I think if he did get the job, he'd stay for a long time.

Glad I don't have to make the decision!

Guest coachacola

I found this interesting bit from the article:

Just last month, he took over as offensive coordinator at South Alabama - another start-up program with designs on moving to Division I-A.

"From what I've gathered, that's the direction Lamar eventually wants to go," Koen-ning said. "Here at USA (South Alabama), we've learned a lot about what to do and what not to do when it comes to that stuff. So you a really unique perspective on that when you look at it."

Sounds like Billy Tubbs is looking to take Lamar to the next level, but that could mean 5 years or 15 years.  We'll have to wait and see how things work out.

Guest abovetherim

Yeah, I saw that too coachacola but wasn't going to say anything because Texas Terror will be posting it all over the internet that Lamar's Billy Tubbs is stating they are moving to a FBS conference.

We'll see what happens.

After reading the article it really sounds like Coach Stump would like the job. Les Koenning Jr is a great coach. Maybe, I'm wrong about Coach Stump. Perhaps it is the guy who really wants the job that will do the best job. I just don't want a guy here for 3 years and jump to a better job. At least Coach Stump is well grounded in the area. I think if he did get the job, he'd stay for a long time.

Glad I don't have to make the decision!

I'm telling you Stump would do a good job!

Guest abovetherim

I think you are right but would he get the "big-time" donors to pull out their check books? I'm not talking about people like me who will give $1,000-$2,000 a year. They are looking at people who have pledged a certain amount. Can Coach Stump get them excited enough to write checks in excess of $1,000,000?

Coaching isn't the question. We all know he can coach! Can he bring in the $$$$$.

Sounds like Billy Tubbs is looking to take Lamar to the next level, but that could mean 5 years or 15 years.  We'll have to wait and see how things work out.

It's a bad, bad comparison...

South Alabama already has a spot waiting for them in the Sun Belt Conference. Lamar on the other side of the spectrum does not. The moratorium does not impact a squad like USA, while Lamar will have to deal with whatever comes from the results of the moratorium.

If Billy Tubbs is set on moving to an FBS conference here in the short-term, it'd be nice if he gave up whatever power he is yielding over the rest of the conference. He hasn't had the chance to mess with the football-side yet, but if anything is certain, he has not been friendly to the conference in basketball...

Terror, the Sunbelt would welcome Lamar back today or in 5 years or whenever.

I like Stump too. He has the football brain, hungry, and he is young. However he don't have the name.

I like to see a big name start the program with Stump as OC, then pass Stump the Head Coach job for the 2014

season. I want to see a repeat of the Tubbs/Roc  in football. In 2 years Roc has LU Co-champs.

Today? You again show how much you do not know.

All future members of the SBC must play FBS football. Lamar does not. Simple as that. Five years from now, Lamar still will not have FBS. South Alabama will not be FBS til 2013. That's five years from now. Lamar starts their playing a year after South Alabama. The earliest for Lamar would be 2014, six years from now. The earliest Lamar could be accepted into the SBC was 2014 unless because Lamar is committed to FBS football (again, we won't know much there based on the moratorium), that they would accept them.

I'm afraid Billy Tubbs does not run the NCAA...

Okay UNLV, your turn again to put some more bad information out there...

Guest coachacola

South Alabama's coach was hired in mid-February.  Next Billy Tubbs announces the hiring of Lamar's coach has been moved up from August to May 1st.  Now we hear that Lamar eventually wants to go FBS.  If Lamar hires a head coach just a couple of months after South Alabama does then why can't Lamar be playing just as soon as them?

www.usajaguars.com/fls/8300/Football/Timeline.pdf

Guest roberthollister

This really has nothing to do with it, but Franchione was rumored to have interviewed for the South Alabama job.  And why would Les Koenning jump ship so soon?  I guess some coaches feel no sense of loyalty whatsoever when they sign a contract.

Guest tigersvoice

This really has nothing to do with it, but Franchione was rumored to have interviewed for the South Alabama job.  And why would Les Koenning jump ship so soon?  I guess some coaches feel no sense of loyalty whatsoever when they sign a contract.

Didn't Koenning grow up down at East Chambers?  I can see where a person who is off in Alabama might want to come "Home" hoping that this is the last position that he will have before retiring.

Guest abovetherim

Yep, I would understand the loyalty question if he "jumps ship" from USA to LU for the OC position but not the Head Coach position.

I would love to see somebody besides Stump get the job, but I'm a bit of a homer. ::) I think Stump would do a phenominal job at Lamar, but I REALLY dont want to see him leave a West Brook program that is heading in the direction to be a state powerhouse in a few years. Maybe I'm being a little too selfish. Yes, Stump is a great candidate for the Cardinal HC job, I'd just like to see him win a state title at Brook before he goes back to college ball.

Guest roberthollister

What I said earlier about Koenning "jumping ship" was taken out of context.  If Koenning was offered the Lamar job, he'd be foolish not to take it.  Bobby Petrino leaving the Atlanta Falcons for Arkansas after one year constitutes "jumping ship."  When Franchione left Alabama in 2002 he basically left in the middle of the night.  But past is past.  We are all human and prone to mistakes.  BTW - What's new on this Fran thing?  I'm pumped!

Guest abovetherim

Heard from people I trust he was infact here in Beaumont and spent several hours at the Montagne Center.

I'm really surprised this has been kept kind of quite. May not be a great sign of us being able to land him. However, if he was willing to take the Lamar job for let's say $200,000 and still get $3.8 from Texas A&M. That is still $4 million and if he was able to turn Lamar University into a winner by the 4th year he could be up for another big job. If he stays out of coaching or picks the wrong program he may never coach at a high major conference school again.

Some may say Lamar would be the wrong job, well that might be true but he would have the support of the administration here and if he was able to do something no one else was able to do that would be a great statement for his resume'.

Now, he isn't my favorite guy but he can coach. He has won everywhere he as been. I just won't answer the phone when my buddy from Alabama calls if Coach Fran does agree to coach Lamar.  ;D

Guest roberthollister

Heard from people I trust he was infact here in Beaumont and spent several hours at the Montagne Center.

I'm really surprised this has been kept kind of quite. May not be a great sign of us being able to land him. However, if he was willing to take the Lamar job for let's say $200,000 and still get $3.8 from Texas A&M. That is still $4 million and if he was able to turn Lamar University into a winner by the 4th year he could be up for another big job. If he stays out of coaching or picks the wrong program he may never coach at a high major conference school again.

Some may say Lamar would be the wrong job, well that might be true but he would have the support of the administration here and if he was able to do something no one else was able to do that would be a great statement for his resume'.

Now, he isn't my favorite guy but he can coach. He has won everywhere he as been. I just won't answer the phone when my buddy from Alabama calls if Coach Fran does agree to coach Lamar.  ;D

Probably won't happen, but it's fun to speculate.

Today? You again show how much you do not know.

All future members of the SBC must play FBS football. Lamar does not. Simple as that. Five years from now, Lamar still will not have FBS. South Alabama will not be FBS til 2013. That's five years from now. Lamar starts their playing a year after South Alabama. The earliest for Lamar would be 2014, six years from now. The earliest Lamar could be accepted into the SBC was 2014 unless because Lamar is committed to FBS football (again, we won't know much there based on the moratorium), that they would accept them.

I'm afraid Billy Tubbs does not run the NCAA...

Okay UNLV, your turn again to put some more bad information out there...

First, you don't know where will be in 5 years. We might go FBS in year 3 of football, while SHSU remain FCS.

Second, I could careless if you think the Sunbelt is not willing to take Lamar back because the Sunbelt is probably not Lamar's

target conference.

First, you don't know where will be in 5 years. We might go FBS in year 3 of football, while SHSU remain FCS.

So, Billy Tubbs is going to change NCAA rules now, is he? FBS in year three of football?

You are just trying to get rattle me, but you once again prove, that even your attempts do not match reality. You are the most unrealistic person in the bunch on this board and the others acknowledge it (as I've seen on two other boards comments re: your logic). Your beginning to remind me of Pat from KatFans.com, who hasn't been a sports fan for very long and even though he comes across as fairly knowledgeable, he's not...

So, Billy Tubbs is going to change NCAA rules now, is he? FBS in year three of football?

You are just trying to get rattle me, but you once again prove, that even your attempts do not match reality. You are the most unrealistic person in the bunch on this board and the others acknowledge it (as I've seen on two other boards comments re: your logic). Your beginning to remind me of Pat from KatFans.com, who hasn't been a sports fan for very long and even though he comes across as fairly knowledgeable, he's not...

Please show me 1 rule that says Lamar can't move up to FBS in the 3rd year of football.

Guest coachacola

What I've read is that a school must play two years of FCS football before they can announce their intentions to move up to FBS.  Once they do that there's a two year transitional period before they're a full blown FBS school.  Lamar could announce their intentions to go FBS in 2012, but won't unless they have an invite to a FBS conference already lined up.  2014 is the earliest Lamar could be eligible to play in a bowl game, which is 6 years from now.

What I've read is that a school must play two years of FCS football before they can announce their intentions to move up to FBS.  Once they do that there's a two year transitional period before they're a full blown FBS school.  Lamar could announce their intentions to go FBS in 2012, but won't unless they have an invite to a FBS conference already lined up.  2014 is the earliest Lamar could be eligible to play in a bowl game, which is 6 years from now.

Is that not what I said, 3rd year follows 1st year and 2nd year. Maybe someone needs to explain that to terror.

Any news on UTSA coaching search?

Please show me 1 rule that says Lamar can't move up to FBS in the 3rd year of football.

The moratorium will say as much... :)

It will be over by the time Lamar would announce their intentions (I hope they do so on the day they announced their head coach for reasons related to protecting the membership, read the SLC by-laws if you want more info there), but I really think Lamar is going to have a much tougher time to make the move.

We'll see you in the SLC in 2012...

Is that not what I said, 3rd year follows 1st year and 2nd year. Maybe someone needs to explain that to terror.

Any news on UTSA coaching search?

Actually UNLV, Terror is right on this one. You say we could be FBS in year 3, that is wrong. Our first year will be 2010 right? 2nd year 2011, third 2012. We aren't eligible for FBS till 2014, like coachacola said.

I believe your fondness for big dreams clouds your logic. Let's keep it real, let's get the football program back first before we declare then national title contenders. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo