SLC kicking out Texas st.

As strong as the MVC is in basketball, football could break up that conference. Privates vs public is

breaking up that conference. If it did break up, UALR will get the call to join basketball schools and

I am sure Denver is watching.

Bradley

Creighton

Evansville

Drake

Denver

UALR

Eastern Illinois

Oral Roberts

North Dakota

South Dakota

Western Illinois

--------------------

Wichita st and Southern Illinois would join UTSA, La tech, and New Mexico st in the new SWC. I'm sure UNT would

join. So that leaves the Sunbelt with 2 open spots.

UNLV -- you are getting into a favorite conversation of mine, conference re-alignment. If Denver and UALR were to leave the SBC, they would have 11 schools, which equals just one spot. Way to move away from the original conversation, but I guess this does have some to do with it!

Oral Roberts has a quality athletic program and I'd be interested to see where they went. They are at a disadvantage due to a lack of football team, as that would make them even more attractive for a conference.

North Dakota and South Dakota? Are you referring to UND and USD or NDSU and SDSU? I'd love to see the old NCC (North Central Conference), a Div II conference -- get their act back together. That was a strong Div II conference across many sports and I think, especially with how these schools should be able to compete in football (or have), a helluva Div I conference. The xDSUs have already moved to the Gateway for football, so that may keep the Dakota schools seperate for awhile...

Another question, will the MVC add football anytime soon?

Drake is a non-scholarship. They could move up into full-scholly Div I.

Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois all have football at the FCS level.

Wichita State could add (you seem to believe they will) and Eastern Illinois is an affiliate member, they have an FCS team, perhaps they could move in as a full member?

Five current FCS full-scholly members.

One non-scholly FCS member.

Add EIU and Wichita St, you can have something there.

I Think I'll jump into this fray! It is one of my favorite subjects. Lamar will stay right where they are for many more years to come. No FBS conference EVER! Football will never be that successful. Just won't! And, if it ever does, the program will be no different that La-Lafayette, or Monroe, or Ark State. Not gonna happen! Lamar, like those schools, cannot compete with the big state schools for the quality athletes they would need. Plus, the market is too small. Same for Texas State. can't compete with Texas-Austin or any other FBS school in the state.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!!! Now, Texas State should eventually make it into the Sun Belt. So what?!? Southland schools consistantly beat SBC schools on the football field. You get to go to the New Orleans Bowl. So what!?!?! Lamar ran away once before and came back. Where can they possibly go? Football at UTSA is a long way from reality. 5 years, at least! They might have a better chance at surviving at the FBS level than Texas State simply because of their location. And certainly better chances than Lamar. There won't better a 30K stadium at Lamar. Why build something that won't fill up?

The money ain't there to support a FBS athletic department. What are you gonna pull money from? Baseball? The beloved basketball program? Women's sports?

Let the bashing begin.....

Guest abovetherim

No need to bash, you spoke your opinion. It is not like God said it. If he did, it would be fact. You saying this, it is just an opinion. Thanks for posting. You are welcome to post again at any time.

Guest roberthollister

Everyone's arguing and making projections about stadium plans, revenue, future FBS plans, etc.  Newsflash: Lamar hasn't even named a head coach yet.  Football is not even on the Lamar athletics page.  It's fun to speculate, but to a certain degree, it's pretty silly. 

Guest abovetherim

Now, there is a intelligent post. Thank you. Come again.

I'm still trying to figure out how the topic changed from the SLC kicking Texas State-San Marcos out of the conference turned into talk about Lamar.

Really, it is kind of funny how that always happens.  :D

Everyone's arguing and making projections about stadium plans, revenue, future FBS plans, etc.  Newsflash: Lamar hasn't even named a head coach yet.  Football is not even on the Lamar athletics page.  It's fun to speculate, but to a certain degree, it's pretty silly. 

I enjoy the forum more when we talk and give our opinion on news not yet released versus not chatting at all...

It's probably already been said, but Tx St. has like 30,000 students and they are probably wanting to go to a bigger conference. I don't know their attendance numbers for football and all that, but I would expect that they want to make a push and could end up being another Baylor, although Baylor only has like 5,000 students. Let them leave, but kicking them out is a little extreme.

I still say that liked when LU was in the Sunbelt conference. Look what their basketball teams did this year.

Guest coachacola

Now, there is a intelligent post. Thank you. Come again.

This is the Lamar sports forum, intelligent posts aren't allowed here!  ;D

Guest abovetherim

I was being sarcastic coachacola.  ;D Everyone is intelligent on this board. Even the posters I disagree with. Heck Texas Terror, I probably disagree with him more than anyone and it is pretty obviously that dude is pretty smart. Along with having some great typing skills; has anyone ever noticed how fast he can post a really detailed and long reply? Amazing! 

I was being sarcastic coachacola.  ;D Everyone is intelligent on this board. Even the posters I disagree with. Heck Texas Terror, I probably disagree with him more than anyone and it is pretty obviously that dude is pretty smart. Along with having some great typing skills; has anyone ever noticed how fast he can post a really detailed and long reply? Amazing! 

Thanks... :)

I tend to post longer posts instead of those one-liners. If I am going to post something, I prefer to post something with substance.

The fact of the matter remains and the word has been passed along is that the SLC is giving a serious look into what it needs to do in the short term and long term across many fronts from the SLC basketball tournament to the membership-related issues (which includes possibly following the by-laws and booting San Marcos)...

I'm curious to know what the results of the formal poll around the SLC was as it relates to the BKB tournament.

ABR3, UNLV and coachacola...would you be inclined to allow the WBB season to wrap up a week before so they could do their own tournament separate from the men? We already have mirror scheduling, so it's not like this would be anything to impact that -- heck, we may end up with a few doubleheaders, which wouldn't be a bad thing...

Guest abovetherim

You know I don't like a postseason tournament in the SLC but if they are going to have one I agree moving the ladies up a week would be for the better. Just my two cents there.

Guest coachacola

Since women's basketball draws less than fans than men's basketball I think they should definitely have their own tournament on the home court of the conference winner.  But as I've said before (and a few others too), they should reduce the tourney (both men's and women's) down to the 4 top teams and play at the higher seeds home court.

The SLC shouldn't get mad at San Marcos for wanting out, it should look at itself and decide if it wants to be a bottom rung conference forever or a quality conference.  If it wants to be the best FCS conference in the country then they should work towards that.  Right now it's not.

The NCAA tourney is a cash cow but the SLC doesn't seem to care.  Baseball is strong in the SLC but I just don't see the SLC promoting it very well.  The Southland could be what the Sunbelt is but instead keeps losing it's best members every so often.  It's probably going to happen again real soon.

Now some say the Sunbelt isn't much of a step up from the SLC, but I disagree.  I saw some Sunbelt football and basketball games on ESPN last year, zero for the SLC.  That's money and publicity every school in the conference could use.  The Sunbelt had 3 teams in the NCAA baseball playoffs last year, the SLC 1 auto bid.  This year the Sunbelt had 2 teams in the NCAA basketball tourney with WKU making to the sweet 16.  That's 4 units compared to 1 unit for the SLC, with each unit worth around $200,000 or more (rough guess).

The bottom line is that it's all about money and being in the SLC just doesn't cut it.

Since women's basketball draws less than fans than men's basketball I think they should definitely have their own tournament on the home court of the conference winner.  But as I've said before (and a few others too), they should reduce the tourney (both men's and women's) down to the 4 top teams and play at the higher seeds home court.

The SLC shouldn't get mad at San Marcos for wanting out, it should look at itself and decide if it wants to be a bottom rung conference forever or a quality conference.  If it wants to be the best FCS conference in the country then they should work towards that.  Right now it's not.

The NCAA tourney is a cash cow but the SLC doesn't seem to care.  Baseball is strong in the SLC but I just don't see the SLC promoting it very well.  The Southland could be what the Sunbelt is but instead keeps losing it's best members every so often.  It's probably going to happen again real soon.

Now some say the Sunbelt isn't much of a step up from the SLC, but I disagree.  I saw some Sunbelt football and basketball games on ESPN last year, zero for the SLC.  That's money and publicity every school in the conference could use.  The Sunbelt had 3 teams in the NCAA baseball playoffs last year, the SLC 1 auto bid.  This year the Sunbelt had 2 teams in the NCAA basketball tourney with WKU making to the sweet 16.  That's 4 units compared to 1 unit for the SLC, with each unit worth around $200,000 or more (rough guess).

The bottom line is that it's all about money and being in the SLC just doesn't cut it.

Come on now, SLC did have their championship game on ESPN2!

On the football field, the SLC is batting .500 against the SBC with McNeese undefeated against the SBC since the founding of the league...when it comes to being a good FCS league, our teams have scheduled themselves out of the playoffs the last few years, pretty much eliminating everyone from contention in the second week of league play. This year is slightly better as far as scheduling, we'll see if the schools can continue to improve the scheduling. We were at a disadvantage due to the SWAC's nine-game mandate which restricted their OOC to two games. It's now four games, starting this year and we're seeing more SWAC vs SLC. Lots of conferences can bus to OOC foes in FCS outside of the SLC, GWFC and Big Sky. If it was that easy, scheduling would be better. SHSU is playing a Big South foe (Gardner-Webb) this year, which is great...

Baseball, the SBC is a one pony league this year, just like the SLC will be, more than likely. I do not think we are too far behind the SBC when it comes to baseball. Our weaker teams in the league are just much weaker than that of the SBC's...

Baskeball, the SBC has changed their standards and it has increased the conference's chances at getting an at-large team. The SLC is improving in basketball (even you in Beaumont can agree -- we had an RPI of 20 this year), but we need to work as a conference to improve the league...

Terror, Texas st should have 2 years before the SLC could ask them to go. right?

Two years or at the discretion of the ADs per the by-law..

Two years (even if you do not count this year) would leave the Bobcats as an independent with one more year before the moratorium is lifted. It would really hurt their athletic program...

Now, if Lamar plays a full SLC slate in 2010 (as at least one of you want), that would handle that issue. I'm fine with 11 teams across the board in all sports for a year or two until we add another squad...

Terror, Texas st should have 2 years before the SLC could ask them to go. right?

Two years or at the discretion of the ADs per the by-law..

Two years (even if you do not count this year) would leave the Bobcats as an independent with one more year before the moratorium is lifted. It would really hurt their athletic program...

Now, if Lamar plays a full SLC slate in 2010 (as at least one of you want), that would handle that issue. I'm fine with 11 teams across the board in all sports for a year or two until we add another squad...

Texas st will announce their plans to leave next year, giving them 2 years. Texas st did nothing wrong so there will be no kicking.

Texas st will announce their plans to leave next year, giving them 2 years. Texas st did nothing wrong so there will be no kicking.

Texas State - San Marcos already announced their plans to leave by announcing they will move to FBS in job postings, at public meetings on campus and the such. One thing to look into it, another to publicly advertise that you are doing it...

They will leave the SLC a year before the moratorium is lifted and will play around as an Independent for a year. Actually benefits Lamar, or the few of you, who would like to see the Cards play a full SLC slate in year one of football...

Guest coachacola

I just don't see Texas State leaving the SLC and going FBS independent without having a conference to join, but I've been reading their message boards for a while their fans are always complaining about how inept their AD is so I guess it's possible.

I do think the SLC has to be careful about kicking them out or it could cause a rift among some schools and even more schools could leave or get kicked out, especially if there's some big shakeups of other conferences in a few years like UNLV has been predicting.

Texas State - San Marcos already announced their plans to leave by announcing they will move to FBS in job postings, at public meetings on campus and the such. One thing to look into it, another to publicly advertise that you are doing it...

nope, Texas st announce their plans to go FBS. They didn't announce the departure of the slc. Texas st plan could be FBS in 2011.

Just because a team announce FBS plans doesn't mean the school gets kicked out now. The slc still needs time to find a replacement team for Texas st....and UTSA

....and LAMAR  ;D

They will leave the SLC a year before the moratorium is lifted and will play around as an Independent for a year. Actually benefits Lamar, or the few of you, who would like to see the Cards play a full SLC slate in year one of football...

No, I would like Lamar to give the slc the bye bye. Bring back the old slc teams into a new conference and a few new schools.

ULL

La Tech

UNT

Ark st

Lamar

Texas st

UTSA

New Mexico st

Rice

SMU

Tulsa

Tulane

What gets me is that they talk about these DII schools (Tarlenton State, Central Oklahoma, etc.) that would be great additions to the SLC.  You know you're at the bottom of the DI conferences when DII schools are mentioned as great additions to your conference.  When Lamar left the SLC in the mid-80's who did the SLC bring in?  DII schools Texas State, SHSU, etc., and they'll do it again.

Billy Tubbs knows this and I believe his mission won't be complete until he gets Lamar into a FBS conference.  But Lamar's not going to go independent, that would kill basketball and the other sports, like it did in the 80's.  He'll have a conference invite lined up before he announces Lamar's intention to leave the SLC.

Texas State won't get kicked out of the SLC, no matter how much hot air they blow out from katfans.com.  If they kick out Texas State then they'll also have to kick out UTSA because they also announced their intentions to play FBS football.

You need to realize something....

UTSA is in the SLC for all sports BUT Football...

When (or IF) they start up football, there is NOTHING that requires the SLC to allow them to play for the SLC Football Championship.

In fact, the SLC Comish and more than a few Presidents have already stated their reservations about letting a school in for only a few years just to use the SLC as a stepping stone to the land of FBS dreams and losses.

I really doubt that McNeese would be willing to vote for UTSA inclusion in football due to their stated intent to just leave it.  It is NOT in the best interest of the SLC and it's member schools.

TAM-CC has stated it's intention to start-up football, probably 2 years after Lamar does, which will be about the same time TxSU bolts for the land of make believe.

AND, those D-II schools we took in after Lamar (and others left), each have larger enrollments than Lamar's Beaumont Campus did, and still does today.

IF, (BIG IF) the SLC brings in another school to replace TxSU, than I have very little doubt that it will be Centenary, just to keep the East West division thing going for other sports.  NOT that I believe that is all that important anyway.

IF, (BIG IF) the SLC brings in another school to replace TxSU, than I have very little doubt that it will be Centenary, just to keep the East West division thing going for other sports.  NOT that I believe that is all that important anyway.

Saw a recent article about the coaching hire that mentioned Centenary as possibly going to Div III. Have to admit, I had not heard that nor seen that anywhere else, so take it for what it's worth...

Saw a recent article about the coaching hire that mentioned Centenary as possibly going to Div III. Have to admit, I had not heard that nor seen that anywhere else, so take it for what it's worth...

Centenary must be ran by former Lamar administrators.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo