No. 3 BC rallies past No. 5 Jasper, 7-6

No. 3 BC rallies past No. 5 Jasper, 7-6

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

JASPER — This story might hit the papers on Sunday morning yet it was late Friday night when the No. 3 Bridge City Cardinals and No. 5 Jasper Bulldogs put on another show for baseball fans.

In another classic game, the Cardinals battled and battled some more to overcome a 5-0 first inning deficit to beat the defending state champions a second time this year, 7-6.

Bridge City senior catcher Casey Jackson erased ghosts of the past with a three-run homer in the top of the fourth to tie the score at six and Blake Snyder then provided more heroics in the fifth with a solo shot for the eventual game-winning run off Jasper starter Justin Parsons.

While the Bridge City (19-3, 9-0) offense was scratching its way back into the contest, sophomore pitcher Matt Hicks was in a battle of his own against the Jasper (18-4, 7-2) offense.

Hicks was not his normal self in the first inning giving up two home runs, one to Malcolm Bronson and another to Ty Parker, and also throwing three wild pitches. It took 34 pitches for Hicks to get out of the first and Bridge City Coach Billy Bryant made two mound visits.

“I just reminded him to keep doing the things he has always done,†Bryant said. “It is all part of baseball. You have to fight when things are not going your way."

Jackson and Hicks teamed up against Jasper’s Taylor Hart in the bottom of the sixth in a very key part of the game with Bridge City up 7-6.

With one down, Hart singled to center field.

Hart was on first and Hicks and Jackson obviously took notice with several pick off moves and another pitch out while Tyler Ernest at bat.

The attention the pitcher and catcher gave to Hart paid off when Ernest struck out and Jackson fired second to catch Hart on the run for the inning’s final out.

“I’ve played against that guy so many times and I’ve always wanted to throw him out,†Jackson said. “I have never done it because Taylor is so fast. Matt was doing a great job holding him on and I was able to make the throw.â€

Actually the late hour and excitement of the victory might have caused Jackson to forget he threw Hart out trying to steal in the first game against Jasper earlier this season when Hart took off to steal third.

Hicks would get the Bulldogs out in order in the bottom of the seventh, facing Nos. 3-5 hitters in the Jasper lineup.

Jackson’s homer was also a key moment in the game and the left-handed batter picked the perfect time to step up to the plate when the wind started blowing hard out of right field.

“We definitely needed that one,†Jackson said. “When the ball was in the air I remembered Coach Bryant telling us the scoreboard in right was in play. When my hit went right to the right of the board I was thrilled. It certainly pumped us all up.â€

The Cardinals were able to pick up three runs in the top of the second to climb back into business as it was Dustin Breaux and Jason Clark coming up with the team’s first two clutch hits.

Breaux delivered with a RBI double to left to score Snyder who had reached on an infield single.

With Breaux on second and Jaden Dillon on third, Clark blasted a two-run double to right center to make it 5-3 Bulldogs.

Jasper got one of the runs back in the bottom of the second as Bronson walked and advanced to third on an error and a wild pitch.

Bronson would score to make it 6-3 when Parsons hit a RBI single to left.

The Cardinals never wavered as Bryant watched his team claw back into the game with Jackson and Snyder’s bombs and Hicks pitching.

“This win is a credit to our players,†Bryant said. “They kept pushing and kept battling. We got some clutch long balls from Jackson and Snyder at key moments. It was a great win. To spot a team like Jasper five runs and battle back is tremendous for our kids.â€

Battling back is certainly what Hicks did on the mound as the sophomore threw 128 pitches, gave up six hits and four walks while striking out 10 batters.

Still Hicks complimented the Bulldogs after picking up the win on the mound.

“They are an amazing hitting team, one through nine,†Hicks said. “One through nine that team can smash the ball. The first inning was the worst inning I have ever thrown. Parker hit one against me in Bridge City and I left him one up again and he hit a bomb. We all wanted this season to be fighting to get our district title back. It feels great to get closer to getting it back.â€

Jackson said he was never worried about Hicks on the mound, even when the Bulldogs seemed to be gaining a decisive edge at the plate.

“I just told him to keep pitching because I have total faith in Matt,†Jackson said of his battery mate. “He came through in the clutch for us tonight. I knew Matt would come through because he competes like I have never seen anyone do before.

“This win just feels great. After last year we knew what he had to do and what we wanted to do and that’s win the district championship again. It really feels great to come out on top against Jasper twice this season because they are a great team.â€

Bridge City defeated Jasper 4-3 in the first round of district play.

Parsons also threw exactly 128 pitches and gave up 10 hits and two walks while striking out eight batters.

Bridge City stranded nine runners in the game while Jasper left five runners on base.

The Cardinals will look to remain perfect in District 21-3A play Tuesday when they travel to face their rival Orangefield

This was a big deal ballgame!  To win 21-3A is a paramount experience for any team, good chance both of these teams have accomplished it in the last two years.

This is almost a fairy tale story when a team comes back from a 5-0 score in the first quarter to rally and win.  This feat will be used for an example as the years go by: to point out what "staying focused" is all about.

Jadon Dillon had quite a week, the Senior stepped in a somewhat alien position to pitch a win over Silsbee Tuesday and then settled in to make astounding catches from his home-- out in left field last night.

The beauty of being the writer is - I fixed the story to have the correct info on here and orangeleader.com and the correct info will hit the paper Sunday.

Thanks for correcting me, I even went back in my book and saw it.

Still, Hart is very hard to throw out no matter how few times he has been caught.

Guest Bulldog

In the first game hart over slid the bag then was taged had he not he would have been safe Jackson's throw didn't beat him there so how is that considered being thrown out?? Last night however he had him out at second and i was thrilled..........BC is fun to watch can't wait to see how far the can run when playoff time starts.......

I understand why Hart as trying to steal as he did last night but the running surface wasn't exactly idea to be stealing bases.  Either way it is a great accomplishment by Clark to throw him out.  After some of the rough throws he had against Jasper last year this game had to be a huge boost to his confidence with the long ball and the throw out.

Guest BC boy 17

I understand why Hart as trying to steal as he did last night but the running surface wasn't exactly idea to be stealing bases.  Either way it is a great accomplishment by Clark to throw him out.  After some of the rough throws he had against Jasper last year this game had to be a huge boost to his confidence with the long ball and the throw out.

Casey Jackson behind the plate and the 3 run HR

Casey Jackson behind the plate and the 3 run HR

Yeah sorry I got my names mixed up..should have just said that big dude behind the plate :)

If I am not mistaken ( and I have every right to say this lol) there was 2 BIG DUDES behind the plate, and the second one didn't throw anybody out and was wearing a black shirt and a hat that said TASO  lol  It was the best seat in the house !!!!!!!

If I am not mistaken ( and I have every right to say this lol) there was 2 BIG DUDES behind the plate, and the second one didn't throw anybody out and was wearing a black shirt and a hat that said TASO  lol  It was the best seat in the house !!!!!!!

Yeah....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43