Good Opponent for LU Football

Lamar should contact Georgia State about getting a home-and-home together as both schools will be starting football in 2010. Perhaps the two schools can play a "scrimmage" in 2009. Not sure how a game in the Georgia Dome in 2010 would not be attractive for recruits looking at coming to Lamar...

------------------

GSU plans first football game for 2010

Student athletic fees raised to fund gridiron program

By ANDREA JONES

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/15/08

Georgia State University's long planned football team is becoming a reality and its students will foot part of the bill.

The Board of Regents on Tuesday approved an $85 increase in Georgia State's athletic fee for fall semester, paving the way for university to play its first game in 2010.

A football team has long been the dream of retiring GSU president Carl Patton, who has overseen dramatic changes at the former-commuter school in his 16 years at the helm.

Still, Patton and other GSU officials declined to comment on Tuesday, preferring to wait until Thursday, when they said an official announcement will be made.

Regents approved tuition and fees for all 35 public colleges and universities at a meeting in Columbus.

Georgia State University's overall fees will go from $494 to $600 in the fall, the largest hike among schools. Georgia Tech's fees will increase by $19, to $592 in the fall. UGA students will pay $24 more, to $587. A committee of Georgia State students approved the proposed jump earlier in 2007.

For several years, the school has been morphing from a commuter-based community into a more traditional university.

By 2015, Patton has said, GSU plans to house 20 percent of its 50,000 full- and part-time students on campus, a sea change for the institution.

Georgia State has raised more than $1 million dollars in pledges toward the football program. The team will likely play its first season in the Georgia Dome.

This is the hidden content, please

I would schedule as many schools with in about a 300-400 mile radius.  That way recruits would be more likely to pick LU because parents wouldn't have to travel over 5-6 hours to see thier youngsters play. That would be from Alabama to Dallas to San Antonio to Corpus Christi. I think you could find enough colleges and recruits in that radius.

I would schedule as many schools with in about a 300-400 mile radius.  That way recruits would be more likely to pick LU because parents wouldn't have to travel over 5-6 hours to see thier youngsters play. That would be from Alabama to Dallas to San Antonio to Corpus Christi. I think you could find enough colleges and recruits in that radius.

The Southland schedule would provide that -- would have to get a few SWAC schools, a Samford or Jacksonville State perhaps and eventually, when you are eligible to do so as a counter, an FBS school in the region. Not so many FCS squads in this region as we'd like -- so it will not be as easy as you think if you put those parameters over things, though the SWAC has lifted the mandate, so it may not be so bad...

Fantasy Schedule

South Alabama            Away

Louisiana Tech            Home

Southern Mississippi    Away

Louisiana Lafayette      Home

SFA                          Away    *

SHSU                        Home    *

SE Louisiana              Home    *

Central Arkansas        Away    *

Nicholls St                  Away    *

Northwestern St        Home    *

Texas St                  Home    *

McNeese St              Away    *

This gives you a 12 game schedule with one big team Southern Miss and a conference. Possibly 9-3? That would be great for a first year program ;D

I'm thinking the schedule will look more like this for a 12 game schedule. More likely 11 games without N. Texas:

North Texas              Away

Texas Southern          Home

Rice                          Away

Prairie View A&M        Home

SFA                          Away    *

SHSU                        Home    *

SE La.                      Home    *

Central Arkansas        Away    *

Nicholls St                  Away    *

Northwestern St        Home    *

Texas St                  Home    *

McNeese St              Away    *

Any DII cupcake  Home

Any DII cupcake  Home

Praire view          AWAY 

Alcorn                AWAY

UTSA                Home

USA                  AWAY

Georgia st          AWAY

Texas st            AWAY

Texas Southern    Home  homecoming

Charlotte            Home 

Mcneese            Away 

We can home/home this schedule for the first 2 years. Except for cupcake games.

Any DII cupcake   Home

Any DII cupcake   Home

UTSA                 Home

USA                   AWAY

Georgia st           AWAY

Texas st             AWAY

Charlotte             Home 

Mcneese             Away   

So you would go Independent without a conference or would we be in the SWAC?

Guest coachacola

UNLV's schedule is more realistic the first year or two, although I'd guess Lamar would be playing more SLC games, especially year two.  Lamar won't go independent, but would either ease into a full a SLC schedule by the third year or be transitioning into a FBS conference.

Any DII cupcake   Home

Any DII cupcake   Home

Mcneese             Away   

So you would go Independent without a conference or would we be in the SWAC?

I'm not 100% sure we will play full slc in year 1 and 2. I'm not 100% we will be in the slc

for year 3.

Scalp'em...

Trust me -- you will not be playing an FBS team (i.e North Texas, Southern Miss, etc) in year one. Those schools won't play you because you will not count as a "counter". You need to offer 53 scholarships a year for two years to count as a "counter" which means you count towards their six wins needed for bowl eligibility. So, in year two you can do it. UCA played La Tech last year in their second year...

If you can get South Alabama and Georgia State in home-and-homes, that'd be great for your program. Old Dominion is starting up football in 2009, so that may be a good one as well. Charlotte is not going to be a football school just yet. I do expect two sub-Div I opponents, if not more in year one.

What I feel would be the best schedule...

Home: Georgia State, Texas Southern, Arkansas-Monticello, Alcorn State, Nicholls State, Henderson State

Away: South Alabama, Prairie View A&M, McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana, Mississippi Valley State

That's two games against new FCS programs (Ga State and South Alabama), four SWAC games (TxSo, PVA&M, Valley and Alcorn), two regional sub-Div Is with a history of play the SLC (Arkansas-Monticello and Henderson State), three SLC squads (nearby foe McNeese and the two 'Cajun Corner' schools -- SLU and Nicholls -- that have trouble with scheduling).

Lamar will have to be an independent for two years, SLC in year three...no specific rules, but that's what Southeastern La. did. SLC will help with scheduling, year two -- expect a near full Southland slate -- some schools already are going to have problems getting Lamar in to the schedule in 2010 and even in 2011 (it's why UCA and Northwestern State played in early September for an SLC game this past year).

Any DII cupcake   Home

Any DII cupcake   Home

Mcneese             Away   

This is a realistic schedule. Good job.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92

• Well I’d say the Bobcats looked a lot more talented tonight, not taking anything away from Anahuac, but physically this was not a competitive game. Gotta give the Bobcats their flowers lol absolutely no one gave them a chance in this game.
    • I can’t help but feel for Anahuac in this game. A lot of buzz and excitement around the team this year, and there is not a more talented team in the district.  But it looks like they still have some issues with discipline and consistency. They keep getting in their own way.    They have an amazing coaching staff and good athletes who are also great young men. I hope they find a way to get over whatever hill is blocking them from being the program they’re capable of being
    • Worst week of the season. Glad it happened earlier than usual. 
    • Season        This         Total        Week        Player 119        18        @wo-s#1 118        16        Mr. Buddy Garrity 116        18        KF89 115        18        WOSdrummer99 112        19        Coaching4Christ 112        18        AshlyHasBeen 112        17        navydawg31 111        20        @fatthead 111        18        AggiesAreWe 111        18        RaiderGirl22 111        16        workbootz 110        20        @Matt Dillon 110        19        Guitar Man 110        19        J-Mike 110        17        Austin1985 110        17        The Lake 109        18        Cat22 108        19        bp141103 108        17        TXHORN_ET 107        16        Sledge 106        20        @BBfan061 106        18        texaslonghorn14 106        17        Longhorn62 104        20        @NewEra 100        19        bullets13 99        17        VPfan2017 99        16        RETIREDFAN1 99        15        19Bulldog99 98        15        Lamar1996 98        15        PINETREE 97        15        expirate20 94        18        Reagan 93        19        One4All 91                RealTalkRob 85        19        Broncos2447 85                DW28 83        19        Rez 83        14        ThaGhost 78        19        BigRed5 73                Stangfan#1 69        16        59n Sports 52                prepballfan 51                H-STING 49                ace2335 49                LCMAlumtiger32 47                HarryDoyle 37                3rdandGreen 36                Tiger33 30                pdawg119 29                uknowit2 20        20        @spidersal 17        17        RVLife  
    • Good question. Maybe just one of those years where not alot of football players? Im surprised aswell because usually vidor has a good # of players suited
  • Topics