Baseball team loses again

Guest coachacola

No way they'll get an at-large. Boyd's has them ranked 118 right now and strength of schedule is 183.

This is the hidden content, please

How is LU #5 in strength of schedule in the SLC. LU always turns out strong baseball teams, but yeat not in the top 75 RPI? Can somebody explain this to me? There's no doubt with a stonger RPI and not that great of a record you have a better chance of an at large bid for  the NCAA tournament  than a lower RPI. Maybe I'm missing something.

How is LU #5 in strength of schedule in the SLC. LU always turns out strong baseball teams, but yeat not in the top 75 RPI? Can somebody explain this to me? There's no doubt with a stonger RPI and not that great of a record you have a better chance of an at large bid for  the NCAA tournament  than a lower RPI. Maybe I'm missing something.

Lamar SOS according to Boyd's World is 182.

The Southland Conference as a whole ranks 17th in RPI.

Not sure how you are thinking that Lamar will be top 75 in RPI.

Scalp'em -- your OOC schedule was not that impressive. Best team was Kansas State. When your best win is 150+ OOC, do not expect to be RPI top 75.

Monroe. 62.

Kansas State. 74

La-Lafayette. 114.

Illinois. 115.

Michigan State. 165.

And do not worry -- SHSU is not much better by any means. We do have a win over Rice which is very high up there, but not much else impressive.

Lamar SOS according to Boyd's World is 182.

The Southland Conference as a whole ranks 17th in RPI.

Not sure how you are thinking that Lamar will be top 75 in RPI.

Scalp'em -- your OOC schedule was not that impressive. Best team was Kansas State. When your best win is 150+ OOC, do not expect to be RPI top 75.

Monroe. 62.

Kansas State. 74

La-Lafayette. 114.

Illinois. 115.

Michigan State. 165.

And do not worry -- SHSU is not much better by any means. We do have a win over Rice which is very high up there, but not much else impressive.

You misunderstood what I was saying.  I don't know why LU didn't make a schedule that would put them in the top 75 RPI. I'm not knocking the stats putting them where they're at because about the only strong team they played this year is Rice and U of H. They didn't win those. This has to be one of the worst seasons for LU baseball in a while.

lamar is a little down this year.it happens to every program.weve had a ton of players drafted and its hurt our talent pool.gilligan was counting on needham,walker and a few others to step up and be the man but it hasnt worked out.he will find the arms in the offseason.as for now,we have a good of a chance as any to win the slc tourney.i dont see a dominate team in the league.very similar to basketball,where anyone can get the bid.

You misunderstood what I was saying.  I don't know why LU didn't make a schedule that would put them in the top 75 RPI. I'm not knocking the stats putting them where they're at because about the only strong team they played this year is Rice and U of H. They didn't win those. This has to be one of the worst seasons for LU baseball in a while.

Intended OOC SOS

2008 - Not available

2007 - 74

2006 - 84

2005 - 89

2004 - 68

2003 - 70

Lamar has floated within reach of that top 75 number as far as intended OOC strength of schedule goes. Guess the teams were not producing and the SOS went higher.

Intended OOC SOS

2008 - Not available

2007 - 74

2006 - 84

2005 - 89

2004 - 68

2003 - 70

Lamar has floated within reach of that top 75 number as far as intended OOC strength of schedule goes. Guess the teams were not producing and the SOS went higher.

lamar sos is the best it can be playing in the slc.this years sos is a little higher because some of the teams we play are down.in most years our sos and 40 wins gets lamar an at-large.

Intended OOC SOS

2008 - Not available

2007 - 74

2006 - 84

2005 - 89

2004 - 68

2003 - 70

lamar sos is the best it can be playing in the slc.this years sos is a little higher because some of the teams we play are down.in most years our sos and 40 wins gets lamar an at-large.

Exactly, LU didn't get an at large bid in 05 or 06 and they had a decent record. 05 they went 38-23 and still no NCAA Regional. The last time LU had 40 wins and got an at-large bid was the 1987 season 40-19. Usually they win the conference tourney with 40 wins and don't have to worry to see if their selected. You have to schedule teams like Rice, UT, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Florida year in and year out with a couple of quality wins and I think 35 wins would get you an at-large.

Guest coachacola

Like the other sports, the SLC doesn't get any respect.  Last year SHSU got the auto-bid and did well in the tourney.  UTSA was 36-22 and had a higher ranking than SHSU, but they didn't get an at-large bid.  Instead both Troy and UNO from the Sunbelt got one, despite both having a worse records and lower rankings the UTSA.

See: 2007 ISR

Like the other sports, the SLC doesn't get any respect.  Last year SHSU got the auto-bid and did well in the tourney.  UTSA was 36-22 and had a higher ranking than SHSU, but they didn't get an at-large bid.  Instead both Troy and UNO from the Sunbelt got one, despite both having a worse records and lower rankings the UTSA.

UNO won the SBC tournament...

As far as the SBC and baseball goes, per the weekly release...

The Sun Belt Conference has sent multiple teams to the NCAA baseball tournament each year since 1988. The 19-year streak of having two or more teams reach NCAA play is matched by only four other conferences (ACC, Big West, SEC, Pac-10). More impressively, the Sun Belt Conference has also posted at least one post-season win in 18 of the 19 seasons (1992 was only season without post-season win since 1988).

Consistent top 10 conference in RPI too...

The Sun Belt Conference has had a top 10 league RPI in six of the last seven seasons. In both 2006 and 2007, the Sun

Belt RPI among the 31 NCAA baseball conferences was 7.

Intended OOC SOS

2008 - Not available

2007 - 74

2006 - 84

2005 - 89

2004 - 68

2003 - 70

Exactly, LU didn't get an at large bid in 05 or 06 and they had a decent record. 05 they went 38-23 and still no NCAA Regional. The last time LU had 40 wins and got an at-large bid was the 1987 season 40-19. Usually they win the conference tourney with 40 wins and don't have to worry to see if their selected. You have to schedule teams like Rice, UT, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Florida year in and year out with a couple of quality wins and I think 35 wins would get you an at-large.

didnt lamar get an at-large in '04 or '05.

I think this is accurate.

2002 - Lamar won the Southland no at-large from Southland.

2003 - Lamar had the at-large bid / McNeese won the tourney.

2004 - Lamar won the Southland no at-large from Southland.

2005 - UTSA won the Southland no at-large.

2006 - UT Arlington won the Southland no at-large from Southland.

2007 - SHSU won the Southland no at-large from Southland.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92

• Well I’d say the Bobcats looked a lot more talented tonight, not taking anything away from Anahuac, but physically this was not a competitive game. Gotta give the Bobcats their flowers lol absolutely no one gave them a chance in this game.
    • I can’t help but feel for Anahuac in this game. A lot of buzz and excitement around the team this year, and there is not a more talented team in the district.  But it looks like they still have some issues with discipline and consistency. They keep getting in their own way.    They have an amazing coaching staff and good athletes who are also great young men. I hope they find a way to get over whatever hill is blocking them from being the program they’re capable of being
    • Worst week of the season. Glad it happened earlier than usual. 
    • Season        This         Total        Week        Player 119        18        @wo-s#1 118        16        Mr. Buddy Garrity 116        18        KF89 115        18        WOSdrummer99 112        19        Coaching4Christ 112        18        AshlyHasBeen 112        17        navydawg31 111        20        @fatthead 111        18        AggiesAreWe 111        18        RaiderGirl22 111        16        workbootz 110        20        @Matt Dillon 110        19        Guitar Man 110        19        J-Mike 110        17        Austin1985 110        17        The Lake 109        18        Cat22 108        19        bp141103 108        17        TXHORN_ET 107        16        Sledge 106        20        @BBfan061 106        18        texaslonghorn14 106        17        Longhorn62 104        20        @NewEra 100        19        bullets13 99        17        VPfan2017 99        16        RETIREDFAN1 99        15        19Bulldog99 98        15        Lamar1996 98        15        PINETREE 97        15        expirate20 94        18        Reagan 93        19        One4All 91                RealTalkRob 85        19        Broncos2447 85                DW28 83        19        Rez 83        14        ThaGhost 78        19        BigRed5 73                Stangfan#1 69        16        59n Sports 52                prepballfan 51                H-STING 49                ace2335 49                LCMAlumtiger32 47                HarryDoyle 37                3rdandGreen 36                Tiger33 30                pdawg119 29                uknowit2 20        20        @spidersal 17        17        RVLife  
    • Good question. Maybe just one of those years where not alot of football players? Im surprised aswell because usually vidor has a good # of players suited
  • Topics