PERRYN KEYS: All's quiet on the LU football front; but for how long?

Guest coachacola

Bob West says they should ask him who to hire:

Lamar University athletic director Billy Tubbs is so secretive about the school’s search for a football coach you would think it’s a clandestine CIA operation. Tubbs, however, did respond to Tom Halliburton’s grilling Thursday with an in-jest remark that, “Hey, you know the Port Arthur News and Beaumont Enterprise will name the coach anyway.†To which I say that might not be a bad idea. If Lamar had taken my recommendation to hire Ronnie Thompson instead of Ray Alborn in the early 1980s, the football program probably would not have had to be shut down. And if LU had hired Tim Floyd to succeed Tom Abatemarco in 1988, as suggested here, the basketball program wouldn’t have endured such a lengthy swoon. The seed for bringing Tubbs back as basketball coach was also planted in this space several years ago, Bottom line, Billy, the Port Arthur News has made better choices than Lamar has, so if you need help I've got the name of the guy who should be the next coachwritten on a sheet of paper in my desk.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_110214642.html?keyword=topstory

i dont normally agree with bob west, but i have to agree that Ronnie Thompson would have been a better hire than Ray Alborn. 

You might be right, but if they had given Alborn one more year, they probably wouldn't have been able to kill the program. That last year, they were very competitive and just about to turn the corner.

i dont normally agree with bob west, but i have to agree that Ronnie Thompson would have been a better hire than Ray Alborn. 

You might be right, but if they had given Alborn one more year, they probably wouldn't have been able to kill the program. That last year, they were very competitive and just about to turn the corner.

yeah, that's what a lot of LU fans say,  i wish LU would have never got rid of their football program.  :( 

You gotta admit LU had a good team that year in colege football

Guest coachacola

The LU administration was dead set on killing football back then, no matter what.  It really had little to do with attendance or won/loss records.

It's called GREED!!!!!!!

That the money and run. I wonder where they went and how thier lives played out. Some time you get your just deserts.

The University has not been the same since.  Grant it with the current leadership things are and should be even better then it has ever been.

The current leadership I suppose is trying to get all their ducks in a row and be ready for a GRAND ANNOUCEMENT to maximize the renewed excitment of getting a new coach and stadium plans.

"GO BIG RED"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham