Stewart enthused about joining Bronco program

Stewart enthused about joining Bronco program

by Roy Besch, Sports editor

sports11_thumb.jpg

Former Liberty AD, football leader receives welcome to veteran DHS staff. After nearly 20 years of coaching Liberty Panther athletic teams, Jeff Stewart will cross the Trinity next July and become a Dayton Bronco.

The action came about recently when the Dayton ISD trustees approved the hiring of the former Liberty athletic director and head football coach to assume duties as head baseball coach and football assistant on Coach Jerry Stewart's staff.

The Bronco headmaster welcomes Jeff Stewart and the wealth of experience that he brings to an already solid coaching staff.

"I've known Jeff for several years and in coaching circles he is highly respected for the kind of coach that he is," said Jerry Stewart. "He is going to be an asset to our program as our new head baseball coach and will be in charge of the outside linebackers in football. Good coaches are hard to find and we're glad to have him.

"I'm sorry things didn't work out in Liberty, but that's their loss and our gain."

The Bronco AD explained that with the addition of Jeff Stewart, the Bronco varsity coaching staff swells to 10, which, by most Class 4A standards, is well below the size of an average staff.

"Most schools our size have twice the number we carry" said Stewart. "But our staff works multiple sports and we are able to keep our number lower. We have a total of 28 coaches for our entire system as compared to 41 that most school districts of this size employ."

When contacted about his new job, Jeff Stewart stated that he was excited for the opportunity given him by Coach Stewart, and a chance to return to his alma mater.

"I look forward to coming to Dayton and getting to work with a program that has been outstanding over the past few years. As far as my coaching baseball, its been 12 years since I coached on the varsity level but I feel that things will fall in place and we are enthused about coaching again and becoming a part of a quality program."

A 1981 graduate of Dayton High School, Stewart excelled in both football and baseball, where he achieved all-district status for playing six different positions.

"In football, I was all-district two years," explained the father of two. "And I made all-district four years in baseball playing first base, third base, catcher and for two seasons as utility infielder."

Following graduation, Stewart played one year of college baseball at Ranger JC and moved on under scholarship to St. Mary's of the Plains College in Dodge City, Kan., the institution where he earned his undergraduate degree.

After guiding the Liberty football fortunes for the past 12 seasons in which his teams reached the playoffs 10 times, Stewart admitted he is content to assume an assistant's role.

"I told Coach Stewart that I am not actively pursuing a head job," said Jeff. "My son is entering the seventh grade next year and my daughter will be in the fifth grade and I want to be able to be with my family more.

"As a head coach I was unable to be with them as much and I look forward to geting to watch them in school events and be more of a part of their lives."

Stewart will take over a Bronco baseball program that has endured a couple of second division finishes.

Current head coach Bobby Little, who was serving on an interim basis after Brandon Craus relinquished head duties earlier this season, will be retained by Stewart as one of his assistants.

Also helping in the program will be Armando Ramirez and Richard Ressler, who are also serving on the current staff with Little.

Stewart and his wife, Laura, are the parents of two children, Lex, 13, and 10-year old Cara.

Jeff Stewart is busy at the present time acquainting himself with the offensive and defensive system that the Broncos use. His contract begins in July, at which time he will be a full-time employee at Dayton ISD.

This is the hidden content, please

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    risinger62
    Newest Member
    risinger62