Lamar stadium wish list tops $18 million

UNLV

After looking as what I've seen, I think they've got the right idea here. What they're talking about will give them a nice, reasonable facility and should allow for expansion should the need arise in the future for it.

UNLV, man, I just can't agree with ya. FCS is the way to go. Beaumont likes teams that WIN and a Lamar FCS team is going to be competitive a lot faster than an FBS team.

I think Lamar is approaching this the right way.  Lamar's goal is to be the best in FCS as soon as possible.  They should aspire to be the next Appalacian State, Georgia Southern, Delaware State, Montana, etc.  Speaking of Montana Univ, anyone look at their FCS stadium?  They just about sell it out for every game!  Sure, probably the only game in town up there in the frozen tundra.  The Grizzlies have a very successful program.

montana.jpg

UNT has not won more than 3 games in football the last 3 years. Do you think UNT should drop down to FCS until UNT can compete in FBS?

Actually 7 games in three years. :'(  That's why NT fired Darrell Dickey and brought in Todd Dodge.  Prior to those three years, NT won 4 conference championships and made 4 trips to the New Orleans Bowl; not the Sugar Bowl, that's for sure, be NT fans got a taste of what a bowl game is all about. 

To answer your question,  the day NT drops "back" down to FCS is the day I quit sending them money for athletics!  NT did that from the very early '80's until 1994.  That period about killed football at North Texas.  Why?  Because our "leadership" was too cheap to add 10,000 seats to the stadium to meet the NCAA's new stadium requirements to stay in 1A football.  Remember, in those days there was only one football division- 1A.  They then created 1AA.  It was football purgatory at that time.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys this is my first time posting but have been reading this forum since Lamar began talk of bringing football back. Obviously I am a student at McNeese State and I am also very excited about the regenerated rivalry game that will sellout every year no matter where it is played. I believe Lamar is taking the necessary steps in bringing back football. It is unrealistic to make Cardinal Field (guessing the name) any bigger than it already is and to try to play FBS as soon as possible. There is no stadium in the SLC that has a bowl and I don't get the feel of being in a high school stadium when I am in them. I believe some, not all just some, people here believe that Lamar will be very successful fast. I believe it will take at LEAST 10-15 years for Lamar to become a CONSISTENT FCS powerhouse, although my POKES won't allow that ha ha. Even if that did happen and Lamar is having great crowds why would you want to make that move to FBS? For example ULL has had only 1 winning season(if you count 6-5 a winning season) in the 7 years it has been part of the Sun Belt Conference. I, and I think most people, would rather donate to and watch a winning FCS team than a FBS team that is garbage. ULM has not had a winning season since joining the Sun Belt in 2001. North Texas has had 1 winning season in the past 12 years. The numbers don't lie so unless you are playing in a major FBS conference, which realistically Lamar nor any other SLC team will ever have the chance of doing, your best bet is FCS. There are multiple FCS football programs that draw big crowds, yes I know there is only a few but that comes with winning. Just my 2 cents.

After looking as what I've seen, I think they've got the right idea here. What they're talking about will give them a nice, reasonable facility and should allow for expansion should the need arise in the future for it.

UNLV, man, I just can't agree with ya. FCS is the way to go. Beaumont likes teams that WIN and a Lamar FCS team is going to be competitive a lot faster than an FBS team.

I think Lamar is approaching this the right way.  Lamar's goal is to be the best in FCS as soon as possible.  They should aspire to be the next Appalacian State, Georgia Southern, Delaware State, Montana, etc.  Speaking of Montana Univ, anyone look at their FCS stadium?  They just about sell it out for every game!  Sure, probably the only game in town up there in the frozen tundra.  The Grizzlies have a very successful program.

montana.jpg

UNT has not won more than 3 games in football the last 3 years. Do you think UNT should drop down to FCS until UNT can compete in FBS?

Actually 7 games in three years. :'(  That's why NT fired Darrell Dickey and brought in Todd Dodge.  Prior to those three years, NT won 4 conference championships and made 4 trips to the New Orleans Bowl; not the Sugar Bowl, that's for sure, be NT fans got a taste of what a bowl game is all about. 

To answer your question,  the day NT drops "back" down to FCS is the day I quit sending them money for athletics!  NT did that from the very early '80's until 1994.  That period about killed football at North Texas.  Why?  Because our "leadership" was too cheap to add 10,000 seats to the stadium to meet the NCAA's new stadium requirements to stay in 1A football.  Remember, in those days there was only one football division- 1A.  They then created 1AA.  It was football purgatory at that time.

I agree, it would be an insane move for UNT. So why would you advocate Lamar being another NT of that era.

Lamar too would not get money from fans similar to yourself (the day NT drops "back" down to FCS is the day I quit sending them money for athletics! )

why would you too want Lamar in football purgatory?

Hey guys this is my first time posting but have been reading this forum since Lamar began talk of bringing football back. Obviously I am a student at McNeese State and I am also very excited about the regenerated rivalry game that will sellout every year no matter where it is played. I believe Lamar is taking the necessary steps in bringing back football. It is unrealistic to make Cardinal Field (guessing the name) any bigger than it already is and to try to play FBS as soon as possible. There is no stadium in the SLC that has a bowl and I don't get the feel of being in a high school stadium when I am in them. I believe some, not all just some, people here believe that Lamar will be very successful fast. I believe it will take at LEAST 10-15 years for Lamar to become a CONSISTENT FCS powerhouse, although my POKES won't allow that ha ha. Even if that did happen and Lamar is having great crowds why would you want to make that move to FBS? For example ULL has had only 1 winning season(if you count 6-5 a winning season) in the 7 years it has been part of the Sun Belt Conference. I, and I think most people, would rather donate to and watch a winning FCS team than a FBS team that is garbage. ULM has not had a winning season since joining the Sun Belt in 2001. North Texas has had 1 winning season in the past 12 years. The numbers don't lie so unless you are playing in a major FBS conference, which realistically Lamar nor any other SLC team will ever have the chance of doing, your best bet is FCS. There are multiple FCS football programs that draw big crowds, yes I know there is only a few but that comes with winning. Just my 2 cents.

Don't leave us Lamar, stay down here with us. FBS at Lamar will hurt Mcneese recruiting. Terror said the samething and when SHSU starting raking steps

towards FBS. Terror was like a kid in a candy store. If Mcneese announced the samething Mcneesestudent would be celebrating and laughing at Lamar.

Guest abovetherim

That $30M that is being thrown around...is that about the capital campaign you guys are unleashing (where not all the $$$ is going to athletics)?

Or is that directly for athletics? What about the capital campaign? I'd assume the capital campaign would not go directly to athletics, unless your institution did not realize the importance of academics.

Guess you haven't paid attention to all the large donations going to academics?

Don't leave us Lamar, stay down here with us. FBS at Lamar will hurt Mcneese recruiting. Terror said the samething and when SHSU starting raking steps

towards FBS. Terror was like a kid in a candy store. If Mcneese announced the samething Mcneesestudent would be celebrating and laughing at Lamar.

Wow do you not know about how McNeese recruits the Lafayette area better than UL does? and has been for a while now. Like I said it would take Lamar at LEAST 10-15 years to be a CONSISTENT winning FCS team and only then should they think of going FBS. Lets say Lamar does go to FBS before they are a great FCS team and McNeese winning more times than not (b/c I think McNeese can be considered a great FCS team), do you honestly think that would put a sore to McNeese recruiting? Lamar would either turn down a game with McNeese because of risk of loosing or they would play the game and risk a little FCS team beating them. I'm just saying I've seen it happen before and I think Lamar's best bet is to stay FCS (either way it is bad for Lamar recruiting). I can't wait to see some great classy Lamar McNeese football games. McNeese recruiting never once went through my mind after hearing talk of Lamar getting football and then wanting to go FBS.

Guest abovetherim

Good to see you posting again Rim.  And UNLV, I know you want the best for Lamar and SETX.  I think Lamar is on the right track and you've just got to have some patience.  The '90s were hard on Lamar and you can't fix it all at once.  But with $20 to $30 million coming to Lamar athletics, in 5 years Lamar will be in a great position to move up.

A nice cold beer would be nice too!

Thanks, I'm going through a bad time in my life but I missed the forum and thought it might help my spirits posting some information.

Wow do you not know about how McNeese recruits the Lafayette area better than UL does? and has been for a while now. Like I said it would take Lamar at LEAST 10-15 years to be a CONSISTENT winning FCS team and only then should they think of going FBS. Lets say Lamar does go to FBS before they are a great FCS team and McNeese winning more times than not (b/c I think McNeese can be considered a great FCS team), do you honestly think that would put a sore to McNeese recruiting???? Lamar would either turn down a game with McNeese because they know they would not win or they would play the game and risk a little FCS team beating them. I'm just saying I've seen it happen before and I think Lamar's best bet is to stay FCS. I can't wait to see some great classy Lamar McNeese football games. McNeese recruiting never once went through my mind after hearing talk of Lamar getting football and then wanting to go FBS.

Welcome to the site!!

Guest abovetherim

Wow do you not know about how McNeese recruits the Lafayette area better than UL does? and has been for a while now. Like I said it would take Lamar at LEAST 10-15 years to be a CONSISTENT winning FCS team and only then should they think of going FBS. Lets say Lamar does go to FBS before they are a great FCS team and McNeese winning more times than not (b/c I think McNeese can be considered a great FCS team), do you honestly think that would put a sore to McNeese recruiting???? Lamar would either turn down a game with McNeese because they know they would not win or they would play the game and risk a little FCS team beating them. I'm just saying I've seen it happen before and I think Lamar's best bet is to stay FCS. I can't wait to see some great classy Lamar McNeese football games. McNeese recruiting never once went through my mind after hearing talk of Lamar getting football and then wanting to go FBS.

Welcome to the site!!

Sorry, Lamar will eventually go FBS. It probably will be 5-10 years but Lamar has some MAJOR financial advantages over McNeese State. That is why the Cowboys will never go FBS. I'm friends with several alumnus and they will tell you the same thing.

McNeese is happy being the big fish in a small pond.

Mark my words, Lamar will not be in the SLC in 10 years.

montana.jpg

I agree, it would be an insane move for UNT. So why would you advocate Lamar being another NT of that era.

Lamar too would not get money from fans similar to yourself (the day NT drops "back" down to FCS is the day I quit sending them money for athletics! )

why would you too want Lamar in football purgatory?

Yeh, it did sound like some double talk.  I guess the difference is that NT did not drop football like Lamar did.  And it's a whole new ballgame.  Maybe in 10 years, when Lamar's athletic deparment budget is sitting at around $25 million and they sell 10-15,000 season tickets each year, they could push for FBS membership.  To do it sooner, Tubbs/Simmons needs to put Lamar's goal at being FBS in 5 years.  Period.  It can be done, but you really have to have the big money folks.  And a lot of them to take up the slack in those down years when you only sell 2,000 season tickets.  It takes a lot of money to run an FBS program.

Like I've said before, I'll support Lamar football regardless what division they play in.  I like college football.

Welcome to the site!!

Sorry, Lamar will eventually go FBS. It probably will be 5-10 years but Lamar has some MAJOR financial advantages over McNeese State. That is why the Cowboys will never go FBS. I'm friends with several alumnus and they will tell you the same thing.

Yes I know that Lamar has some financial advantages over us and I obviously wish that was not the case. I understand that Lamar will make the move I just do not think it is logical to make a huge decision like that when Lamar hasnt even played a game. I would think the best thing to do is to wait and see how everything goes and THEN make that decission when they know they could consistently compete at the FBS level.

Guest abovetherim

I found this old thread by abovetherim talking about Old Dominion's plan to renovate their 20K seat stadium for $24.8 million.  Here's their end zone facility with luxury seats:

0925formana500x250.jpg

Hopefully Lamar can get their VIP suites and Club Room built and having something similar to what they have.

Link: http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=25269.0

Coachacola, the pics I saw of the fieldhouse and the stadium are nicer than ODU. The project Tulsa has is nicer. I'd say a fair comparison is what McDonald Gym looked like prior to the major renovation. The same difference would apply to the football complex before and after renovation. It is going to be awesome.

Guest abovetherim

Welcome to the site!!

Yes I know that Lamar has some financial advantages over us and I obviously wish that was not the case. I understand that Lamar will make the move I just do not think it is logical to make a huge decision like that when Lamar hasnt even played a game. I would think the best thing to do is to wait and see how everything goes and THEN make that decission when they know they could consistently compete at the FBS level.

Thanks for your input but it is kind of like going to college. Do you wait till you are a senior to declare a major? Do you wait until you have a 3.0 GPA? Or do you have a plan once you start your college career? Work toward your dream and make it a reality. Like being a student if you fail your classes it may be time to change you major, join the armed forces or some other profession without the need of a degree.

Welcome to the site!!

Thanks for your input but it is kind of like going to college. Do you wait till you are a senior to declare a major? Do you wait until you have a 3.0 GPA? Or do you have a plan once you start your college career? Work toward your dream and make it a reality. Like being a student if you fail your classes it may be time to change you major, join the armed forces or some other profession without the need of a degree.

You are exactly right. I think that if any university has goals of becoming FBS that is great and they should do whatever it takes to get there but why set yourself to a certain timeline to do so? With doing this you force yourself to enter FBS even if your program is not fully ready. Doing this will definately bring many years of disappointment and possibley back to where you once were. But if you don't have that "timeline" and go when the program in all aspects is completely ready then you are allowing yourself less room for error and happier fans. But hey I'm not saying my opinion is right or that someone else's opinion is wrong. There's a reason why me and everyone else on this board is not a university president or AD.

Guest abovetherim

Just my opinion here, if Lamar isn't ready for FBS football in 5-10 years they should stay in the SLC. Hopefully this will clear up where I stand on the issue.

10 years is plenty of time to build tradition, a fan base and a winning program. I'm not saying Lamar will go FBS next year or within the next 4 years for that matter.

You guys are not paying attention. I hate to disagree with you above, but Lamar needs to go FBS soon or never.

I ask the question nobody answered. If Lamar wanted to go FBS right now, what FBS conference would Lamar join?

ANSWER:Maybe the Sunbelt however unlikely because the Sunbelt would go with Georgia Southern, USA, UTSA, Texas st, and even SHSU before start-up

Lamar. However there is a window of opportunity coming in 2010 when the BE contract  runs out. You will see the biggest conference

team musical chair ever. Some conferences will fold, others will be born. Lamar will need to find that FBS seat because after everyone is seated, there

will be no more slots to move up. Why do you think lots of schools are starting football or planning to move up now?  TO GET A SEAT.

Why do you think the moratorium was put in place now?  So current FBS schools can have first pick of the seats.

After that, its over for the next 30 years. So Lamar needs to go FBS soon, or wait 30 years. Now what part am I not

making clear.

You guys are not paying attention. I hate to disagree with you above, but Lamar needs to go FBS soon or never. I ask the question nobody answered. If Lamar wanted to go FBS right now, what FBS conference would Lamar join?

ANSWER:Maybe the Sunbelt however unlikely because the Sunbelt would go with Georgia Southern, USA, UTSA, Texas st, and even SHSU before start-up Lamar.

UNLV -- you do realize that USA is already a Sun Belt member in all other sports? Their addition to football is going to happen without question and I do not believe the moratorium impacts them at all, even if it is extended.

SBC already has 13 schools now, though only 10 will play football by the time USA gets there...you would think like any league, they'd want to get to 12 football schools for purposes of a championship game. Time will tell..

Guess you haven't paid attention to all the large donations going to academics?

ABR, I've seen the donations going to academics. My questions are pertaining to the $30M figure you threw around. Is that a) part of the capital campaign or B) money that is going specifically towards athletics? It has to be one or the other and you are not being clear nor was your answer.

Guest coachacola

UNLV, you're not paying attention either.  Lamar cannot go FBS right away, no matter what happens with all the conferences.  As we've said before, it takes a lot of money and time to go from no fooball to FBS football.  You think Lamar can just magically build a 30K stadium and triple it's athletic budget overnight and presto, they're suddenly in the Sunbelt or CUSA?  Abovetherim has it right, Lamar will be ready in 5 to 10 years, and my guess is 5 years.  Nobody knows what will the conferences will do in 2010 or any other year, so there will always be opportunities out there for Lamar to move.

TexasTerror, my guess is that the $30 million is just for athletics, but I can't say for sure.  If Lamar has a capital campaign going on they must be doing it quietly because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.  I just know they've been receiving some big donations the last couple of years and Lamar's endowment has gone from around $10 million in 2004 to over $42 million now.

You guys are not paying attention. I hate to disagree with you above, but Lamar needs to go FBS soon or never.

I ask the question nobody answered. If Lamar wanted to go FBS right now, what FBS conference would Lamar join?

ANSWER:Maybe the Sunbelt however unlikely because the Sunbelt would go with Georgia Southern, USA, UTSA, Texas st, and even SHSU before start-up

Lamar. However there is a window of opportunity coming in 2010 when the BE contract  runs out. You will see the biggest conference

team musical chair ever. Some conferences will fold, others will be born. Lamar will need to find that FBS seat because after everyone is seated, there

will be no more slots to move up. Why do you think lots of schools are starting football or planning to move up now?  TO GET A SEAT.

Why do you think the moratorium was put in place now?  So current FBS schools can have first pick of the seats.

After that, its over for the next 30 years. So Lamar needs to go FBS soon, or wait 30 years. Now what part am I not

making clear.

The part where you are going to help fund the move to FBS.

Really, it's pretty simple, even you should understand. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO GO FBS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! It will take some time like coachacola has said. GET IT.

You guys are not paying attention. I hate to disagree with you above, but Lamar needs to go FBS soon or never. I ask the question nobody answered. If Lamar wanted to go FBS right now, what FBS conference would Lamar join?

ANSWER:Maybe the Sunbelt however unlikely because the Sunbelt would go with Georgia Southern, USA, UTSA, Texas st, and even SHSU before start-up Lamar.

UNLV -- you do realize that USA is already a Sun Belt member in all other sports? Their addition to football is going to happen without question and I do not believe the moratorium impacts them at all, even if it is extended.

SBC already has 13 schools now, though only 10 will play football by the time USA gets there...you would think like any league, they'd want to get to 12 football schools for purposes of a championship game. Time will tell..

Yeah, but the Sunbelt will lose 1 maybe 2 non-football teams. This will leave 2 FBS spots open. I doubt Lamar would lead the list.

UNLV, you're not paying attention either.  Lamar cannot go FBS right away, no matter what happens with all the conferences.  As we've said before, it takes a lot of money and time to go from no fooball to FBS football.  You think Lamar can just magically build a 30K stadium and triple it's athletic budget overnight and presto, they're suddenly in the Sunbelt or CUSA?  Abovetherim has it right, Lamar will be ready in 5 to 10 years, and my guess is 5 years.  Nobody knows what will the conferences will do in 2010 or any other year, so there will always be opportunities out there for Lamar to move.

TexasTerror, my guess is that the $30 million is just for athletics, but I can't say for sure.  If Lamar has a capital campaign going on they must be doing it quietly because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.  I just know they've been receiving some big donations the last couple of years and Lamar's endowment has gone from around $10 million in 2004 to over $42 million now.

First, I said the 3rd year which is 2013 for FBS. I did not say the first year. You are seeing what you want to see just like you are closing your eyes to

the conference breakup. If you really think there will be opportunity to move up in 10 years, then I have property to sale you on the Moon. It's a good thing Tubbs

is running things because I doubt he would allow Lamar to be stuck out side looking in. Try looking at the big picture. Do some research on conference realignment.

Here is a website, almost everyday there is an article on possible moves by the big schools.

This is the hidden content, please

after you read it, come back tell me if you think opportunity will be available. There is already attempts to block more schools from joining FBS and yet

you think Lamar could get the red carpet to FBS in 10 years. No way, after this round in 2010 that door will be shut for a long time.

Guest coachacola

First, I said the 3rd year which is 2013 for FBS. I did not say the first year. You are seeing what you want to see just like you are closing your eyes to

the conference breakup. If you really think there will be opportunity to move up in 10 years, then I have property to sale you on the Moon. It's a good thing Tubbs

is running things because I doubt he would allow Lamar to be stuck out side looking in. Try looking at the big picture. Do some research on conference realignment.

Here is a website, almost everyday there is an article on possible moves by the big schools.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference-realignment-grid/

after you read it, come back tell me if you think opportunity will be available. There is already attempts to block more schools from joining FBS and yet

you think Lamar could get the red carpet to FBS in 10 years. No way, after this round in 2010 that door will be shut for a long time.

I've been to that site many times.  A lot of posts from people like you speculating on what's going to happen or what they want to happen, but no facts about what will happen.

I have never said Lamar shouldn't move up to FBS as soon as they can.  I've been saying that Lamar is making the right moves and will be in great position to move up in about 5 years.  It looks like we agree on when Lamar will be ready to move up.

I don't think Lamar needs a 30K stadium now but instead needs to spend it's limited resources on the whole athletic department.  There's several FBS teams with smaller stadium that what Lamar has.  In 5 years Lamar will have the facilities that will rival the Sunbelt schools and be better than the other SLC schools, so Lamar will not get left behind.

Most reasonable post on here. The big thing, that you and I have discussed before is the college athletic landscape. No telling what the next few years will bring. I'm expecting some major changes -- as it relates to the "moving up process", conference alignment and similar major issues impacting the state of the NCAA's highest level...

From what I've gathered, the typical rules for a capital campaign are that you do not publicly announce it until you really got some nice $$$ in your pockets (or at the very least, committed). Does not make much sense to me, does a little perhaps -- but that's how SHSU did it and they were using a firm familiar with capital campaigns.

Sorry about the sloppy illustration, but it makes my point. The stadium needs to be made into

a complete bowl. The ends do not need to be as large as the sides, as illustrated. This would

give a college feel, instead of high school. It'll make the endzones louder, advantage Lamar.

Larger crowds, larger exposer, smaller number jumping off the bandwagon after the first season.

The stadium will look and feel different from the 1980's.

Cost; using concrete stands $3 - $5 million. Aluminum; half that.  This would not break the bank.

Leaving the stadium as is with a few upgrades including VIP's for the rich, will not put fans

in the stadium. Lamar football will fail again.

CardinalStadium.jpg

i LOVE this idea. i'd go with aluminum seats at first though, just because it's cheaper.. but it'll get the job done for the first few years. but to me, the FIRST step to this process.. TURF! Screw all the VIP seats for the rich, make it look better (field wise) then do the bleachers, THEN VIP boxes.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo