Fishing Spots for Young Kids

If you have the freshwater license already, the stamp is $10 for saltwater. If you buy them as a package deal, the "All Water Package" is $38 total. I think it is up for renewal August 31st.

Now you can get them to last a year from the day you bought them for $5 or somthin

???? I'm thinking you would be hard pressed trying to convince a GW (or judge) you were a spectator only...

I would never attempt it.....so far game wardens and I have been OK other than.  I was ticketed for no anchor light one night fishing in sabine lake (was fishing around a sunken shrimp boat) and my girl and I were wake boarding on Toledo and I didn't have a rear view mirror and it was just the two of us. I have never received a ticket for illegally catching or possessing fish.

I do have a question.......I think I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

If your kids are to young for a fishing license, you bring them crabbing and do not participate......do you as the adult need a license (or stamp)??

P.S.  I have one...just curious

I am just guessing from the way other laws are proven, if you take absolutely no part in the fishing or crabbing then you won't need a license. That means, you don't bait the hook, you don't help them with the net, etc. In other words, if you are just the taxi, it would probably be okay. The first time you touched a fishing pole, crab line or net, you would be fishing.

This is the law on the requirement to have a license:

Sec. 46.001.  PROHIBITED ACTS.  No person may fish in the public water of this state, or unload in this state fish or other aquatic life taken for sporting purposes from waters managed by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council established under the Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976 (16 U.S.C. Section 1801 et seq.), unless he has acquired a fishing license issued under this subchapter, except as provided by Sections 46.0012 and 46.002. The commission by rule may prescribe requirements relating to possessing a license required by this subchapter.

bucof, i know my post sounds "silly" but its true.      Can someone tell me if i need fishing lic. to fish in my brothers back yard.  (this is not a joke).

TVC would be better to answer this than me....but here goes........... I think on private property you do not need a fishing license.  The code does say public waters. However, if you transport those fish on a public road and happen to get pulled over by game warden, then you might end up in a bind.........

bucof, i know my post sounds "silly" but its true.      Can someone tell me if i need fishing lic. to fish in my brothers back yard.  (this is not a joke).

TVC would be better to answer this than me....but here goes........... I think on private property you do not need a fishing license.  The code does say public waters. However, if you transport those fish on a public road and happen to get pulled over by game warden, then you might end up in a bind.........

That is correct. If the water is completely private, then no license needed. That means that it has to be completely surrounded by private property. Any contact with public property (like maybe one side of the pond runs along a public roadway) and a license is needed, even if the water is on private property. There are also no rules on size and bag limits on private property. There is a caveat to that law. If the completely private property pond is subject to flooding from a river or stream in the state, then the water is not considered private because fish from the public waterway can get into the pond. Any fish in the pond then belong to the people of the state and it requires a license. That does not apply to a majority of cases.

Just a note, hunting on private property (including property that you live on) does require a license, unlike fishing. 

It's my understanding (according to the people in Austin [but it was several yrs. ago]) that you do not have to have a license to "possess fish".  "You only need a license to FISH", was their exact words.  It's your right, as a Texan, to possess a legal limit of fish.  Which is why they don't normally check your license at the dock.  Therefore, if you fish in a private pond, and transport them on state roads, you should noat have to produce a license, but you might get busted for having undersized, or too many, fish.

It's my understanding (according to the people in Austin [but it was several yrs. ago]) that you do not have to have a license to "possess fish".   "You only need a license to FISH", was their exact words.  It's your right, as a Texan, to possess a legal limit of fish.  Which is why they don't normally check your license at the dock.  Therefore, if you fish in a private pond, and transport them on state roads, you should noat have to produce a license, but you might get busted for having undersized, or too many, fish.

You are definitely correct about the possession limits and not having a license. If you have fish then you either need a license with no more than the possession limit OR a note from the person that caught the fish listing the person's name, fishing license number (I think), the number of fish and the date they were caught.

I know at least for saltwater fish, you need a fishing license to even arrive at a dock with fish or other aquatic life on board whether you were seen fishing or not. That even applies to freshwater that is used as an estuary for spawning of saltwater species. This would be the Neches River up toward Beaumont and Bessie Heights, etc.

well guys this visit to my brothers backyard pond is not as simple as i once thought.  i dont want to break any laws.  "ignorance is no defense"  going fishing is not as simple as it was in the 1950`s.  (the last time i went fishing)  i guess the only safe thing to do is buy my fish at Wal Mart.  one more question.  what is the limit, size and number for "catfish"? 

well guys this visit to my brothers backyard pond is not as simple as i once thought.  i dont want to break any laws.  "ignorance is no defense"  going fishing is not as simple as it was in the 1950`s.  (the last time i went fishing)  i guess the only safe thing to do is buy my fish at Wal Mart.  one more question.  what is the limit, size and number for "catfish"? 

If your brother's pond is completely on private property, fish away.

For catfish in public waters the daily bag limit is:

Blue and Channel Cats - 12 inches and 25 total between the two.

For Flathead Cats (Opelousas or just Op) - 18 inches and five total.

tvc, i guess its back to the drawing board for me. the catfish in my brothers pond are over 2 ft. long. but thanks for your help.  i am 67 years old. i just retired and planned to take up fishing for something to do.  it looks more complicated than i  originally thought. 

tvc, i guess its back to the drawing board for me. the catfish in my brothers pond are over 2 ft. long. but thanks for your help.  i am 67 years old. i just retired and planned to take up fishing for something to do.  it looks more complicated than i  originally thought. 

I am not understanding the problem. The minimum length is 12 inches. If they are over two feet long, so much the better. If the pond is on private property, you don't need a license or have to worry about the regulations anyway as they don't apply. Even if they did, you are safe with fish that long. The length requirement is a minimum length not a maximum.

I am not understanding the problem. The minimum length is 12 inches. If they are over two feet long, so much the better. If the pond is on private property, you don't need a license or have to worry about the regulations anyway as they don't apply. Even if they did, you are safe with fish that long. The length requirement is a minimum length not a maximum.

At 67 he qualifies for the $7 license doesn't he?

At 67 he qualifies for the $7 license doesn't he?

Yes, something like that. I thought that it was $11 but that might be for the saltwater/freshwater combo.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham