A little ol' Golf Competition in Silsbee

Guest tigersvoice

Guest tigersvoice

The Silsbee Men's Golf Assn. stages a three day Golf Tournament in Silsbee on Fathers Day week end.  It's an individual tournament; you have no partner to hide behind.  It's YOUR score - so you can let it all, I mean everything, hang out.  Most players will be in our 2nd thru 8th Flights depending on your handicap.  These flights play two rounds (Friday and Saturday) of match play elimination.  After the smoke clears on that part of the competition these flights play one round of medal play on Sunday to see who wins what.  Entry fee here is $130.00 - CARTS ARE NOT INCLUDED.  This fee includes five meals for the player and a guest along with other entertainment on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.  If you have never played the Silsbee MGA Invitational, you owe yourself that treat at least once before you pass on.  In addition to these flights there are two "Prima Donna" flights:  The Championship and the Presidential.  These two flights play 3 rounds of medal play.  The Championship Flight consists of some local (and some not so local) Professional Golfers and some of the top amateurs in all of Texas paying $250.00 to play and then going head to head for bragging rights and a $3,000

first prize.  I'll tell you these guys CAN PLAY: remember Dawie Van Der Walt at Lamar - he won here in 2007 and 2008.  We isolate sixteen of these "Golf Behemoths" in the Championship Flight and then we gather sixteen of those deemed not quite on that level to play in the Presidential Flight.  These guys will shoot your eyes out - they just don't go low as often as they used to.  If you have the balls (golf, that is) to bring your wimpy game to Silsbee, then contact Wayne Brasher at 409 . 656 . 5858 (cell) and we'll see if we can get you in.  I'm telling ya' we feed you $130.00 worth - so that makes the golf free.  Call me or PM me with your address and I'll see that you get an invitation.  We fill the tournament every year but if you note on your entry SETXSports.com I'll do my best to get you in.  It's a great time; ask anyone that has played here.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest tigersvoice

I am going to try to make it this year.  I have always wanted to play in this event, but have always had conflicts.

You should just give me the $3K now if I show up!!!!!! :D :D :D

Well, you know on this side of the ocean we don't pay appearance money, but we will be glad to have you in the field.  PM me your permanent address and watch for your invitation in the mail in early may.  (And work on your brother-in-law, too.)

• 3 months later...

This year's tourney is coming up fast. Dates are June 18-21. You can pm me or Tigersvoice if you are interested.

Our pro flight is really a treat with several up and coming pros playing the last few years along with a few guys that have played the PGA Tour along with several of the Adams Tour professionals teeing it up here. Just a great tournament to play and/or attend.

No doubt a great tourney.........I wish that SE Texas would get another great Four Ball tournament going like the Neches River Four Ball at Beaumont CC.

Idylwild back in the day had a great tournament in the Idylwild Invitational.  SE Texas needs more individual and 2 man tournaments.

No doubt a great tourney.........I wish that SE Texas would get another great Four Ball tournament going like the Neches River Four Ball at Beaumont CC.

Idylwild back in the day had a great tournament in the Idylwild Invitational.  SE Texas needs more individual and 2 man tournaments.

No doubt. Enough of these 4 man things. I really like the two man tournaments.

How many good regular players does Silsbee have???  Does "Country" play up there??? 

Silsbee put the "country" in country club. Don't let that run you away.

I would say we have about 5-8 single digit handicap players in our club. We have a skins game every Saturday morning at 10am and one on Sunday at 1pm. We also have a 1pm Friday game. Most of these games have all kinds of handicaps involved. Usually we have about 10-20 players but we have had as many as 35.

A couple of Friday's ago I came out the big skin winner. I shot a -2 70 that day. One of the members just this past Saturday won big in the Saturday skins. There were only two good skins and he had one of them. He pocketed $280 for that skin. He is a 14 handicap.

If you shot 70 then it is time for you to get a job because you are spending way too much time at the golf course!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

What do you mean, IF?  ;D

I had an excellant round that day, from tee to green. I just wish it would have been a bigger game, we only had 11 playing that day.

Contrary to what you might think, I haven't been on the course as much as I would like. But, I have been at the poker tables a little too much.  ;) ;D

You are right about one thing, I need a job!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    333tba
    Newest Member
    333tba