*Bridge City vs. Needville Game 2 Playoff/BC Wins Game 2!!*

Final was 8-1.

Clark had 1 hit, 12 Ks, not a single walk, one HBP and 83 pitches.

The Cards had 12 hits. The big ones were the homer by Hicks, a triple by guess who (Clark) and a double by Dillon.

The Cards should see better pitching Saturday afternoon so the bats need to stay hot.

Clark's dominance forces Game 3 for Cards

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

HUMBLE — It is now very safe to say Bridge City senior Jason Clark could never run for mayor in the city of Needville.

Clark, who eliminated the Blue Jays a season ago, forced a Game 3 Friday night with a complete game, one-hitter as the Cardinals evened the series with a 8-1 victory. Game 3 will be back at Humble High School at 2 p.m. today.

The story of Clark's day goes way beyond his 12 strike outs and just one actual base runner besides a first inning home run.

Clark arrived at Humble High School without a very crucial part of his baseball uniform – his usual No. 6 jersey.

Bridge City Assistant Coach Chris Moore offered up his jersey with a very peculiar number on the back – No. 13.

It worked out to be a charm as Clark also had a two-RBI triple in the third inning.

"No clue really where my jersey is," Clark said. "I think it's in the back of my truck or between my truck and where the bus was. Coach Moore isn't getting this one back."

Which is fine with Moore who said he wouldn't take it back anyways even if Clark offered.

The Cardinals, who lost 2-1 Thursday to the Blue Jays, jumped on Needville early with two runs in the first.

Matt Hicks, who has been without a hit since playing Kirbyille late in district, came alive with a two-run homer to left field off Needville (21-6) starter Rikky Salazar.

It was sweet redemption for Hicks who lost Game 1 after giving up two homers on Thursday while striking out nine Blue Jays.

"That felt great," Hicks said. "I am finally able to start over so it's a good feeling."

Hicks was almost at a loss for words on how Clark throws against Needville in such crucial times.

"I couldn't tell you where it comes from," Hicks added. "Joe (Robertson) and I were talking in the infield and he just dominates this team. It really proves again we have three strong pitchers who can come in at anytime.

Clark credited his ability to throw off-speed to the Blue Jay hitters.

"I don't what it is about facing them," Clark said. "I knew when Joe got on to lead the game off it would be a total different ball game. I was not going to go out this early. Right when Coach (Billy) Bryant said I was pitching I said the series would not end with me."

With the score 2-1 in the top of the third, Bridge City (25-6) was able to scratch across four runs on four hits.

Blake Hubbard and Blake Snyder led off the inning with back-to-back singles and Hubbard put Bridge City up 2-1 when Jaden Dillon hit his third double of the series.

It was then Clark's turn to get in the fun as he tripled down the right field line to score both Snyder and Dillon.

Clark would score when Luke Rhodes hit a sacrifice fly and the Cardinals led 6-1 after three.

Robertson scored again in the fourth inning after reaching first on an infield single.

The sophomore third baseman then moved all the way to third on a Needville throwing error and Hicks made it 7-1 with a sacrifice fly to score Robertson.

Rhodes scored the Cardinals final run of the night when he led off the top of the sixth with a double to center.

Rhodes took third on an Eric Matthews single and scored when Robertson hit a sacrifice fly to make the final, 7-1, score.

"Thirteen hits is what our guys can do," Bryant said. "Our kids can hit the ball. We just have to be smart and take good cuts."

Bryant could only laugh when asked about the magic Clark has over the Blue Jays.

"He's able to throw three pitches for strikes and that is his cuverball, fastball and change-up," Bryant said. "When he does that he is able to keep batters off balance. It was a clutch win for us."

Clark knows the outing would have been nothing if not for a Cardinals' defense which committed just one error in the game.

"Joe and Eric helped pull this one out," Clark said. "They made a lot of plays behind me tonight."

Clark only complained once he said to a fellow teammate.

"I had to tell Jaden to stop hitting all those doubles in front of me," Clark joked. "I can't get anybody in if he is driving everyone in. It felt good after his double though to bring him and Blake in."

Salazar went six innings for the Blue Jays giving up 12 hits with one walk and two strike outs.

Dillon could be expected to start Game 3 for the Cardinals.

Hicks added he would be able to come in the game in relief if the situation called for it.

"If they need me to pitch, I want to do it," Hicks said. "There is nothing wrong with my arm and I'm ready to go at anytime."

Bryant knows his Cardinals are in for a good game today with Needville not wanting to be eliminated the exact same way it was last season.

"We have to play the way we are able to play, like tonight," Bryant said. "We are going to need a few clutch performances from some players. This is what playoff baseball is all about. There are two good teams on this field and it should be a great game."

Guest BC boy 17

These '08 BC Cards are a very impressive group of young men. On more than one occasion we have heard comments about the "Team" atmosphere in the dugout. They are all friends and ready to pick each other up when needed. The article by Gabe here has several examples of what these guys are about. Hicks ready and willing to take the ball on 2 days rest if that is what is needed. Not for personal gains but the good of the team. Clark pitches a heck of a game and points to the aide of the defense behind him (of course he didn't need any help on 12 of the 21 outs).

Great game tonight guys, but you know it's not over yet. You have set very high goals for yourselves this year. Enjoy this one tonight, put it behind you on Saturday and good luck tomorrow. 

Guest Orangeboy

How bout ol' Jaden Dillon with 6 hits in the series so far, 3 of 'em doubles. Keep it up Cards!  Great game Clark.

Guest Orangeboy

I think Hajdik would be going. I think I remember him pitching last season and have not seen him yet in this series.

Expect a good one though Saturday from the Jays

Hajdik was their #1 last year as a freshman, he is the one who beat Stringer in game 1. I would expect him to get the call for game 3. Nothing the Cards haven't seen before. Low to Mid 80's.

I think Hajdik would be going. I think I remember him pitching last season and have not seen him yet in this series.

Expect a good one though Saturday from the Jays

Hajdik was their #1 last year as a freshman, he is the one who beat Stringer in game 1. I would expect him to get the call for game 3. Nothing the Cards haven't seen before. Low to Mid 80's.

Thanks C-CHANGE

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Eyleo
    Newest Member
    Eyleo