Memorial Fills Holes In Spring Football/Spring Game Tue. 5PM

Titans fill holes in spring drills

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

Muhammad Ali used to say his fights were always won long before he "danced under the lights."

Basically meaning that his fights were won in the weight room, running or in practice. Barring the outcome of the 2008 football season, the Memorial Titans may look back on the spring just as Ali did with his preparation.

Despite a 4-6 overall record and a 3-4 District 21-5A slate, the Titans were 3-3 heading into the last week of the season and still had a chance to make the playoffs.

Memorial fell hard to Humble in the finale, however, and the Titans season was over.

Now in his third year with Memorial, head coach Ronnie Thompson says the idea for spring workouts is to check the status of the program.

"Our conditioning is great," Thompson said. "That's always very exciting to know. We're very excited about what we're doing this spring and the effort we're getting from the players."

Thompson added that the most important thing in spring workouts is to find the players who can fill open positions.

Offensively, the biggest concerns are offensive line and receiver. The Titans top receiver, quarterback and running back from last year were all seniors but offensive coordinator Kenny Harrison says the future quarterback and running back are already in place.

Jareal Alexander, who threw for 182 yards on 14-of-20 passing in limited time last season, will be the Titans next quarterback.

He is replacing Harry Brown. Brown led the district with 1,985 yards last year. The Titans were second to West Brook in total offense.

Alexander spent a portion of the season sidelined from an ankle sprain and a thumb injury. The soon to be senior also ran for 385 yards on 80 carries and scored three touchdowns. Against Baytown Lee, Alexander had a break out game, as he rushed for 199 yards on 30 attempts.

DaLeon Sinette is the top choice for running back. He carried the ball 20 times last season, gaining 100 yards and scored two touchdowns.

Solomon Jones is the most productive receiver returning for the upcoming season. Jones caught 17 passes for 218 yards and one touchdown.

Memorial's offense also needs to replace four lineman from the starting roster and will need to replace four receivers as well. Overall, the offense is losing nine of 11 starters.

Harrison added that there is also the task of finding backup players in the spring.

Defensively, the Titans have several key players coming back. For a team that ranked second from last in total yards allowed last year, defensive coordinator Curtis Viola says it's nice to have familiar faces on the field.

Memorial returns six starters to its defense and has one other player who played a number of minutes last season.

The catch, however, is that Viola is sculpting the defense. Memorial used shades of a 3-3-5 last year but rarely stayed in that alignment.

"We're going to that defense 100 percent this year," he said. "I know it works and with the speed we have, this defense is perfect for us."

Viola said the bad news is that a couple of his starters will have to learn new positions.

"The good news is that we have several players with a lot of Friday night experience."

In the defensive line, Memorial returns Raderman Scypion who had 89 tackles and three sacks.

Earl Hines, Terry Coleman and Cody Hebert are all returning from seasons at linebacker. Coleman led that trio with 133 tackles and five sacks.

And Desmond Gardner accumulated 42 tackles and four interceptions, including two picks that were brought back for touchdowns, at cornerback last year.

Gardner and Hines are both returning as all-district selections from last year. Gardner made first team while Scypion and Coleman both received honorable mention.

Memorial's spring game is scheduled for Tuesday at 5 p.m.

Another football season approaches, but the same ole garbage emminates from the so-called Spread O guru which is Ronnie the Great.  Here's what a true great Hall of Fame coach thinks about the Spread O....

From Boob West column today 11May08:

Don’t think I’ve ever had a better telephone interview that the one with Florida Atlantic’s Howard Schnellenberger last week. I was hoping for five or 10 minutes of discussion on what it’s like to start a football program from scratch and wound up getting 55. What I really enjoyed was that he’s not political, that he just comes out and says what he thinks. Like, for instance, he can’t understand why schools able to recruit the way Texas, Michigan and Alabama can are fooling around running spread offenses. Beyond not liking the offensive philosophy, he said it’s difficult to develop defensive toughness practicing against the spread.....

I wonder if Boob West would relay this information to his buddy RTG....

Another football season approaches, but the same ole garbage emminates from the so-called Spread O guru which is Ronnie the Great.  Here's what a true great Hall of Fame coach thinks about the Spread O....

Don’t think I’ve ever had a better telephone interview that the one with Florida Atlantic’s Howard Schnellenberger last week. I was hoping for five or 10 minutes of discussion on what it’s like to start a football program from scratch and wound up getting 55. What I really enjoyed was that he’s not political, that he just comes out and says what he thinks. Like, for instance, he can’t understand why schools able to recruit the way Texas, Michigan and Alabama can are fooling around running spread offenses. Beyond not liking the offensive philosophy, he said it’s difficult to develop defensive toughness practicing against the spread.....

I agree with most the bolded statements, but look at all the success of the numerous state champions that run the spread as well as successful NCAA teams that run it. Also, I don't think the choice of offense has that much bearing on what the defense does... good example, Dayton.... Personnel and coaching has more to do with it IMO

I agree with most the bolded statements, but look at all the success of the numerous state champions that run the spread as well as successful NCAA teams that run it. Also, I don't think the choice of offense has that much bearing on what the defense does... good example, Dayton.... Personnel and coaching has more to do with it IMO

I hear ya but more than not, a Spread O makes a soft D.  Even SLC defenses gave up yards and points.  The problem with 90% of the teams they played couldn't stop them.  WO-S and LM had salty defenses eventhough they were/are spread teams but they're the exception rather than the rule.  Schnellenberger knoes his football.  I know he's a dinosour, but he knows his football....

The Spread is a Gimmic offense...  I think Colt McCoy would be GREAT in a pro style!!!  Personnally I canot stand the spread and I wish it would fall into the abyss... Instead it keeps growing and it won't be long before someone finds a variation that works in the Pro's!

I hear ya but more than not, a Spread O makes a soft D.  Even SLC defenses gave up yards and points.  The problem with 90% of the teams they played couldn't stop them.  WO-S and LM had salty defenses eventhough they were/are spread teams but they're the exception rather than the rule.  Schnellenberger knoes his football.  I know he's a dinosour, but he knows his football....

agreed. I just think that PAM most likely has the athletes for a salty defense much like WO-S and LM .... it sounds like the powers that be lack emphasis on D.

The Spread is a Gimmic offense...  I think Colt McCoy would be GREAT in a pro style!!!  Personnally I canot stand the spread and I wish it would fall into the abyss... Instead it keeps growing and it won't be long before someone finds a variation that works in the Pro's!

So... is it a gimmick or is it here to stay???

I like all kinds of offenses. With many teams (like dayton) ... I think the spread suits their personnel well. We rarely have a huge O-line and rb's, so whats the sense in going all out smash mouth?

I like all kinds of offenses. With many teams (like dayton) ... I think the spread suits their personnel well. We rarely have a huge O-line and rb's, so whats the sense in going all out smash mouth?

Teams can run out of the I-formation with a TE which Lumberton just switched back to and look at the results.  I don't think they ever had a RB over 1000 yards let alone 1600 plus.  The Spread is personnel dependent where the more traditional offensive schemes are not.  Also, PAM's running a gimmick D---3-3-5 doesn't work on NCAA '08 and it doesn't work in real life.  To watch a slow team skill person wise in Kingwood just run up and down the field on PAM is sickening.  But just ask a Baytown Lee fan about the Spread and their swiss chees defense going on 10 years now....

Teams can run out of the I-formation with a TE which Lumberton just switched back to and look at the results.  I don't think they ever had a RB over 1000 yards let alone 1600 plus.  The Spread is personnel dependent where the more traditional offensive schemes are not.  Also, PAM's running a gimmick D---3-3-5 doesn't work on NCAA '08 and it doesn't work in real life.  To watch a slow team skill person wise in Kingwood just run up and down the field on PAM is sickening.  But just ask a Baytown Lee fan about the Spread and their swiss chees defense going on 10 years now....

I understand on all fronts.... but I just don't see why a team can't play D because of what O they run. I feel the D  is more on the coaching than anything.... as I'm sure that's why you said what you said about RT.

Yeah and there O-linewas small small!  All you need in highschool is good hard nosed kids that play to the whistle and the pro-style offense works just as well....  I have seen Stephenville, Katie, Southlake Carrol, etc. run the spread but not evry play.  They also could play situational formations too!  I see our schools in the spread on 4th an d 1 and backed-up in the endzone situations!  It is a GIMMIC when it is your only formation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah and there O-linewas small small!  All you need in highschool is good hard nosed kids that play to the whistle and the pro-style offense works just as well....  I have seen Stephenville, Katie, Southlake Carrol, etc. run the spread but not evry play.  They also could play situational formations too!  I see our schools in the spread on 4th an d 1 and backed-up in the endzone situations!  It is a GIMMIC when it is your only formation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see what your saying.... watching LM in particular, they run a ton of formations onto the field. in '06 they really kept folks guessing. In regards to the defensive side of the ball though: the scheme that is run, the scouting that is done before hand and the preparation of the kids has more to do with success than what offense is run.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43