HR removes job listing for football head coach

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Man, there is a real turnover at Lamar right now. I just saw a listing for an assistant golf coach. Lamar also list positions for an assistant women's soccer coach and volleyball coach. We all know Lamar needs two assistant basketball coaches.

Looks like Coach Tubbs is about ready to name his man. I hope he hit a homerun like he did with a few of the other hires he has made. I will say this is probably the most important hire in the history of Lamar University.

I'd like to thank Lamar for joining the FCS.

We've had a hard time getting Texas Southern on the schedule for an easy Division I victory. That worry is no longer a concern, as our schedule has improved, but now it looks like we got a tap-in on our slate in a few years.

By not making the splash that many in the community wanted and the hype provided by the fan base falling far short of expectations, it looks like we don't have much longer til we get the closest thing to the Tigers...the Cardinals.

Texas State - San Marcos is dusting off that hand me down cellar dweller sign you gave them back in the 1980s.

McNeese is licking their chops a the prospect of having a one-sided rivalry which will be a scrimmage for them before their near annual playoff run.

SFA is just tickled to death that they may even win an SLC game, against a Texas team of all things!

And the list goes on...

Just my .02 and yes, UNLV -- I know your expectations just got robbed from you. You are welcome in Huntsville! We got some good BBQ at the church on Montgomery Road for you to share with us. And who knows? We may be FBS someday.

Guest coachacola

He is laughing at us. I liked it better when I laughed at SHSU.

Who cares?  Nobody cares about SHSU football and nobody cares about his comments.  He pisses everybody off on all the message boards he posts on, including katfans, so he gets tuned out.

Lamar hasn't even named a coach and won't be playing football for another year and a half and he's already talking smack.  That's someone who seriously needs to get a life.

Lamar hasn't even named a coach and won't be playing football for another year and a half and he's already talking smack.  That's someone who seriously needs to get a life.

Coachacola, you need to look around. Your friends on this board have been talking a great deal about the kind of team, the program you will have, going right to the top of the SLC, if not to FBS before then. Sure, UNLV is in a class of his own on most things football like that, but others are on board too. If Woodward is your man, you are not going to make a splash in the FCS game and not even register a blip on most FCS radars around the nation.

If you want to see how you go about adding football with a splash, look at Old Dominion or Georgia State. In each case, had well-known individuals involved in the start-up and actively promoting the brand of football. They have done everything the right way and are doing a good job of publicizing. Georgia State is even around the same step in the process as you are and they are getting quite a bit of notoriety...

Guest mffl

Coachacola, you need to look around. Your friends on this board have been talking a great deal about the kind of team, the program you will have, going right to the top of the SLC, if not to FBS before then. Sure, UNLV is in a class of his own on most things football like that, but others are on board too. If Woodward is your man, you are not going to make a splash in the FCS game and not even register a blip on most FCS radars around the nation.

If you want to see how you go about adding football with a splash, look at Old Dominion or Georgia State. In each case, had well-known individuals involved in the start-up and actively promoting the brand of football. They have done everything the right way and are doing a good job of publicizing. Georgia State is even around the same step in the process as you are and they are getting quite a bit of notoriety...

How can you even rip on us before we have played a game on the field?!?

Guest abovetherim

"Coachacola, you need to look around. Your friends on this board have been talking a great deal about the kind of team, the program you will have, going right to the top of the SLC, if not to FBS before then. Sure, UNLV is in a class of his own on most things football like that, but others are on board too. If Woodward is your man, you are not going to make a splash in the FCS game and not even register a blip on most FCS radars around the nation."

Please provide a post where someone else (not UNLV) stated Lamar would rule the SLC from day one and go FBS in the near future.

Now, I was hoping for a big-name coach and I'll still state the renovated Cardinal Stadium will be the best in the SLC. That is my opinion, not a fact.

Guest coachacola

So that will automatically translate into wins on the football field?  And because Lamar hasn't named a high-profile coach (or any coach yet), and is starting football more quietly than these other schools then Lamar won't win?  It'll take about 4 years before we know if things were done the right way or not, but you're more interested in putting down Lamar than actually waiting to see what happens.

You pull this same crap on other boards and it gets tiring for everybody.

Guest abovetherim

We've had a hard time getting Texas Southern on the schedule for an easy Division I victory. That worry is no longer a concern, as our schedule has improved, but now it looks like we got a tap-in on our slate in a few years.

By not making the splash that many in the community wanted and the hype provided by the fan base falling far short of expectations, it looks like we don't have much longer til we get the closest thing to the Tigers...the Cardinals.

Texas State - San Marcos is dusting off that hand me down cellar dweller sign you gave them back in the 1980s.

McNeese is licking their chops a the prospect of having a one-sided rivalry which will be a scrimmage for them before their near annual playoff run.

SFA is just tickled to death that they may even win an SLC game, against a Texas team of all things!

And the list goes on...

Just my .02 and yes, UNLV -- I know your expectations just got robbed from you. You are welcome in Huntsville! We got some good BBQ at the church on Montgomery Road for you to share with us. And who knows? We may be FBS someday.

I don't think Sam Houston made a big splash with the hiring of a former JuCo basketball head coach by the name of Bob Marlin a few years back. SHSU basketball program wasn't much better than our current football program. If our football coaching hire is as good as your basketball hire I'll be extremely pleased. There is no way to judge this hire for at least 3 years.

Here are a few players from SE Texas who played for Coach Woodard this season.

1. 6 BEVIL ANDRE QB 6'2 186 WEST ORANGE STARK

2. 3 CLARK RYAN CB 6'1 185 BEAUMONT OZEN

3. 5 FONTENOT RONNIE WR 5'10 175 BEAUMONT OZEN

4. 31 HARPER WILLIAM QB 5'11 180 SILSBEE

5. 28 McCARTER TERRANCE RB 5'6 145 SILSBEE

6. 11 WILLIAMS BRANDON QB 6'4 215 BEAUMONT CENTRAL

Guest mffl

And the list goes on...

I don't think Sam Houston made a big splash with the hiring of a former JuCo basketball head coach by the name of Bob Marlin a few years back. SHSU basketball program wasn't much better than our current football program. If our football coaching hire is as good as your basketball hire I'll be extremely pleased. There is no way to judge this hire for at least 3 years.

Here are a few players from SE Texas who played for Coach Woodard this season.

1. 6 BEVIL ANDRE QB 6'2 186 WEST ORANGE STARK

2. 3 CLARK RYAN CB 6'1 185 BEAUMONT OZEN

3. 5 FONTENOT RONNIE WR 5'10 175 BEAUMONT OZEN

4. 31 HARPER WILLIAM QB 5'11 180 SILSBEE

5. 28 McCARTER TERRANCE RB 5'6 145 SILSBEE

6. 11 WILLIAMS BRANDON QB 6'4 215 BEAUMONT CENTRAL

Would Brandon like to be our first recruit? We'll take him!  ;D

Marlin was a Div I assistant at Alabama when he came to SHSU, so he was not coming from a JUCO. Yes, he was a JUCO head coach (who won a national championship at that), but he had been a Division I assistant at ULM, Marshall and Houston Baptist having learned from good coaches in Vining and wasn't it Iba at HBU?

Outside of four years in NFLE and a stint with my name sake, your boy has not coached a lick of Division I football nor has he ever started a program. He's been a JUCO guy full and through. I actually with agree that UNLV that this hire is not going to do any extra good for your program as some other names mentioned would have -- even that of lil Franchione, who despite being a JUCO guy, does have the 'name'. I was thinking it would have been best if you hired a guy with SLC experience, if you didn't get the 'name'. Then again, we'll see in year one of the SLC. Will Lamar be up to snuff or can they claim their spot back?

Guest mffl

I don't know about 2 years, but after the program is started up, I think so.

I think it will be alot of HS players who would be DII type players who will have a year to redshirt and by the time we play SLC level their game will hopefully be on that level. It's not that attractive to HS players to come to a new program, of course, we will just have to see how Coach Woodard recruits... hopefully he can bring in some good ones.

Guest abovetherim

Marlin was a Div I assistant at Alabama when he came to SHSU, so he was not coming from a JUCO. Yes, he was a JUCO head coach (who won a national championship at that), but he had been a Division I assistant at ULM, Marshall and Houston Baptist having learned from good coaches in Vining and wasn't it Iba at HBU?

Outside of four years in NFLE and a stint with my name sake, your boy has not coached a lick of Division I football nor has he ever started a program. He's been a JUCO guy full and through. I actually with agree that UNLV that this hire is not going to do any extra good for your program as some other names mentioned would have -- even that of lil Franchione, who despite being a JUCO guy, does have the 'name'. I was thinking it would have been best if you hired a guy with SLC experience, if you didn't get the 'name'. Then again, we'll see in year one of the SLC. Will Lamar be up to snuff or can they claim their spot back?

Well, our new coach played in the NFL. I have yet to see anything stating Marlin played in the NBA. Guess we'll see in 4 years in this was a good hire.

Guest abovetherim

Well, our new coach played in the NFL. I have yet to see anything stating Marlin played in the NBA. Guess we'll see in 4 years in this was a good hire.

Let me relate to something you can understand. Clyde Drexler played in the NBA. Did that equate to a solid coach?

Let me relate something to you that maybe you can understand. Tom Landry played in the NFL and is in the Pro Football HOF.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92