Central's Thomas To A&M To Join Brother?

This is the hidden content, please

When the new Texas A&M coaching staff held on to the pledge of class of 2008 Rivals100 athlete Derrick Hall of Beaumont Central, they may have done more than just keep one top player in the fold. They positioned themselves well with one of the top prospects in the class of 2009 as well.

Charlie Thomas received his first offer from Texas A&M

Hall's younger brother, Charlie Thomas, will be a senior at Central this upcoming season. While he played mostly running back with a little bit of linebacker mixed in a year ago, the 6-foot-1, 194 pound athlete has moved back to his more natural position.

"I'm playing safety all the way," said Thomas. "I haven't been working with the offense at all. I'll probably see some time at tailback but that's not gonna be my main position this year."

Since Thomas did not play safety last year, the Jaguars spring ball has been a popular gathering place for college coaches wanting to see him in action at the position.

"Coach hasn't really told us all who has stopped by the school or anything," said Thomas on Wednesday evening. "I've seen a lot of coaches out there, though. Today I saw coach Malone from A&M.

"I've talked to coach Malone before. He's the one who offered me. He recruits the area but he also coaches my position. I know him better than any of the other schools' coaches."

Thomas is actually just beginning to get into full football mode after competing in this past weekend's state track meet. The results were a slight disappointment but he did team with his brother as well as his cousin Jeffrey Thomas to perform well in the relays.

"I did alright," he said. "We didn't really perform up to what we expected, though. I got DQ'd in the 200, which was really disappointing since I had the top qualifying time coming in. We finished second to Angleton in the 4 by 100 with a 41.29. We got third in the 4 by 200 with a 1:26.26. We beat Angleton in that one."

In football, the Aggies are still Thomas' lone offer but he says a few other schools have been recruiting him quite a bit.

"There's been schools writing all the time but I don't have any other offers so far," he said. "I'm interested in LSU, Oklahoma State and a couple other schools that I can't really think of right now. Those are the ones that are recruiting me the most."

However, in the end, family could win out.

"I'll probably wait a little bit to see who all offers me before committing," said Thomas. A&M's probably where I'll end up going, though."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43