C-USA and UTSA

C-USA board have a thread about UTSA and their "green light" forthcoming on football in June. Some of the other things they mentioned are nothing I've heard...many believe that Texas State - San Marcos is rushing as much as they are with getting their programs to the 'next level' so they can jump with UTSA wherever they go or at least don't get left in a lurch if UTSA goes FBS and forever overshadows their program.

This is the hidden content, please

Three spots in CUSA maybe opening soon. Memphis, ECU, and UCF is nearly certain to be leaving.

The fight for the 3 spots will be between UTSA, TSU, La Tech, UNT, La-Laf, UL-Monroe, Georgia Southern, MTSU, and

maybe(I hate to say it)Sam Houston st....

Top 3 leaders

1. UNT

2. Tech

3. UTSA

Bottom 3

1. La-monroe

2. La-laf

3. Georgia Southern

Mid-chances

1.MTSU

2.TSU

3. SHSU

Three spots in CUSA maybe opening soon. Memphis, ECU, and UCF is nearly certain to be leaving.The fight for the 3 spots will be between UTSA, TSU, La Tech, UNT, La-Laf, UL-Monroe, Georgia Southern, MTSU, and maybe(I hate to say it)Sam Houston st....

No South Alabama? They are one that gets mentioned a lot as does Western Kentucky and Troy. Troy is fixing to get a new basketball arena. There was an article I read today about how WKU has dominated their rivalry against Middle Tennessee (including wins in the SBC basketball finals in both MBB and WBB).

I'd be interested in if the Sun Belt needs teams, where do they look? SoCon? SLC?

Three spots in CUSA maybe opening soon. Memphis, ECU, and UCF is nearly certain to be leaving.The fight for the 3 spots will be between UTSA, TSU, La Tech, UNT, La-Laf, UL-Monroe, Georgia Southern, MTSU, and maybe(I hate to say it)Sam Houston st....

No South Alabama? They are one that gets mentioned a lot as does Western Kentucky and Troy. Troy is fixing to get a new basketball arena. There was an article I read today about how WKU has dominated their rivalry against Middle Tennessee (including wins in the SBC basketball finals in both MBB and WBB).

I'd be interested in if the Sun Belt needs teams, where do they look? SoCon? SLC?

Sunbelt is drifting eastward. This why I left out Troy and USA. The future Sunbelt could include teams like Charlotte, North Florida, Georgia Southern, Georgia st,

App. st, ODU, UT-Chat, etc...

CUSA foot print is drifting West. There is a chance that UH and UTEP could go Big 12, so maybe a 4th and 5th team.

i think TSU is more likely than UTSA

That's incorrect.

Texas Southern, Tarleton State and Texas State - San Marcos are all behind UT-San Antonio when it comes to a move up. If UTSA gets football and does the upgrades through all the $$$ they are working on the city with and lord knows they have a better basketball facility, they will be ahead of all three TSUs.

i think TSU is more likely than UTSA

That's incorrect.

Texas Southern, Tarleton State and Texas State - San Marcos are all behind UT-San Antonio when it comes to a move up. If UTSA gets football and does the upgrades through all the $$$ they are working on the city with and lord knows they have a better basketball facility, they will be ahead of all three TSUs.

I agree. UTSA and Tech is in.

Being the North Texas fan that I am, I'll try to leave out the bias for my school if at all possible.

CUSA, should they find a need to expand, will more than likely look to the larger markets.  Larger markets mean more TV sets and more viewers.  Easy travel; large airport, etc. Let's look at some of the teams mentioned as possible candidates:

La Tech- Very small market but LT has been 1A for a very long time and has decent tradition; good academics

UTSA- Very large maket; large airport for travel; would be the only 1A football team in town; only one pro team to contend with.  Problem is, they don't even have a team yet, nor a commitment to field a team, much less an FBS(1A) team.  No facilities.

UNT- Very large market; large airport only 15-20 minutes from Denton; competes with several professional teams; 3rd largest public university in the state with 33,000 students;  came very close to being added to CUSA during the last expansion/replacement from a few years ago; UTEP beat them out with greater attendance at FB games, plus the Sun Bowl stadium; said no to WAC offer a few years ago when the WAC was trying to create an Eastern Div. for La Tech; good academics.

Troy- Nice stadium; small market; have no knowledge of Troy's size or academics

Western Kentucky- Successful BB program; no knowlege of market size, academics, etc.  A newbie in the world of 1A football.

MTSU- Nice stadium, good FB coach, great bluegrass music in Murfresboro, but I know nothing about their size, market, or academics.

Texas State University-San Marcos- no comment.

In general, I just don't see CUSA taking some of the teams mentioned by other posters, especially those that are not 1A already, and certainly those that have no football.  If CUSA has an immediate opening or two, look for them to take La Tech, UNT or MTSU.  The holes left in the Sun Belt will be filled in by the TSU's and possibly UTSA's of the world.

Bet this is the article that stirred this pot again...

Local Colleges: UTSA seeks 'green light' for football

Web Posted: 05/17/2008 10:54 PM CDT

By John Whisler

[email protected]

UTSA president Ricardo Romo expects approval of a business plan that could lead to the kickoff of Division I football at the school as early as 2011.

If the plan is approved by University of Texas System Board of Regents next month, Romo said UTSA could start interviewing coaching candidates by this fall.

“We could find someone who can't start right away,†Romo said. “Or, we may find a coach who says, ‘I'm there in September.'â€

This is the hidden content, please

Guest coachacola
Equally significant to UTSA athletics upgrades was approval by voters in a Bexar County election last week to extend the venue tax for amateur sports facilities, a proposal that ensured UTSA would receive $15 million in funding for a proposed multi-sport complex.

Having over a million taxpayers help pay for the athletic complex is a nice deal for UTSA.  The SLC needs to step up and grow with these schools instead of letting them leave.

Three spots in CUSA maybe opening soon. Memphis, ECU, and UCF is nearly certain to be leaving.

The fight for the 3 spots will be between UTSA, TSU, La Tech, UNT, La-Laf, UL-Monroe, Georgia Southern, MTSU, and

Top 3 leaders

1. UNT

2. Tech

3. UTSA

Bottom 3

1. La-monroe

2. La-laf

3. Georgia Southern

Mid-chances

1.MTSU

2.TSU

3. SHSU

Hmmm! Would't these moves make the conference weaker like the Southland Conf? I personally don't want to see U of H playing La-Monroe or Texas State.

Top 3 leaders

1. UNT

2. Tech

3. UTSA

Bottom 3

1. La-monroe

2. La-laf

3. Georgia Southern

Mid-chances

1.MTSU

2.TSU

3. SHSU

Hmmm! Would't these moves make the conference weaker like the Southland Conf? I personally don't want to see U of H playing La-Monroe or Texas State.

Just the opposite, a conference makes a team a lot more than a team makes a conference. If La-Monroe gets the SEC invite, lol, would the SEC fall to

Monroe's level or will Monroe rise...

Don't worry, Monroe and UH will never be in the same conference.

Guest coachacola

Top 3 leaders

1. UNT

2. Tech

3. UTSA

Bottom 3

1. La-monroe

2. La-laf

3. Georgia Southern

Mid-chances

1.MTSU

2.TSU

3. SHSU

Just the opposite, a conference makes a team a lot more than a team makes a conference. If La-Monroe gets the SEC invite, lol, would the SEC fall to

That's true if you bring in one weak team to a strong conference, not when you replace 2 or 3 strong teams with weaker teams.  CUSA is a little like the SLC, the top teams keep leaving and they feel the spots with weaker teams.  Over time it brings down the conference, and I'm sure UH, Rice and SMU are beginning to long for the old days back in the SWC.

Top 3 leaders

1. UNT

2. Tech

3. UTSA

Bottom 3

1. La-monroe

2. La-laf

3. Georgia Southern

Mid-chances

1.MTSU

2.TSU

3. SHSU

That's true if you bring in one weak team to a strong conference, not when you replace 2 or 3 strong teams with weaker teams.  CUSA is a little like the SLC, the top teams keep leaving and they feel the spots with weaker teams.  Over time it brings down the conference, and I'm sure UH, Rice and SMU are beginning to long for the old days back in the SWC.

You mean a situation where UT, OU, and AM can drag UH, Rice and SMU along instead of them dragging Monroe.

Rice and SMU keep dreaming, UH might get a shot.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43