Shauna Kelly re-signs with Seahawks softball program

Sophomore pitcher Shauna Kelly, a 2006 graduate of Nederland High School, has re-upped with the Lamar State College-Port Arthur women’s softball team.

Kelly, an all-district first team pick in her senior year at Nederland, signed a letter-of-intent last week to play a second season for the Seahawks.

She joins a mound staff that includes sophomore Alison Heidbreder from Waltrip High School in Houston and freshman Shandi Conner from Bridge City High School.

Kelly and Heidbreder pitched the bulk of Lamar State’s innings in 2008.

Kelly saw 93.1 innings of work and ended the season with a 6.00 earned run average and leading all Seahawk pitchers with 60 strikeouts.

Lamar State head coach Vance Edwards was pleased to see Kelly returning.

“Shauna Kelly is a valuable part of our team,†Edwards said. “She is a leader on the field, and I’m looking forward to her having a successful season for us.â€

Lamar State competes in Region XIV, one of the toughest junior college conferences in the nation.

The Seahawks will play a short exhibition schedule in September and October. Region XIV competition begins in February 2009.

With all the crying about Lamar in Beaumont dragging there feet on softball we have a up coming program in Lamar State College that needs all the support it can get. Most of these Ladies are all local and very good players. Best of luck to the Lady Seahawks and I will watch several games again this year. Also Vance best of luck looks like you will have a very good group to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Local girls have banned together to join this emerging team to help get things rolling.

I would guess that they will have to bring in a lot more stands to seat all the fans when this team starts to roll against the-- Region XIV very stiff competition!

With all the crying about Lamar in Beaumont dragging there feet on softball we have a up coming program in Lamar State College that needs all the support it can get. Most of these Ladies are all local and very good players. Best of luck to the Lady Seahawks and I will watch several games again this year. Also Vance best of luck looks like you will have a very good group to work with.

I'm glad their getting it rolling!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43