What is "Southeast Texas"

This came up a few times last season, and a couple times again lately.

I thought it might be a fun discussion to see what everyone's thoughts are.  This is not a right/wrong thing, nor an attempt to tell anyone where they do or do not belong.  It is intended to be just interesting discussion.

So..what are the geographic borders for what YOU consider "Southeast Texas".

For me it is defined by the 6 counties of Orange, Jefferson, Hardin, Tyler, Jasper, and Newton.

AKA.."the part of Texas where you can climb a pine tree and smell gumbo".

edit: removed Liberty

I did not.  I think of Chambers (BH, Dayton, etc) as Houston. 

I included Dayton in my SETX top 10 lists because it looked like the consensus was to include them.

It is just interesting to me how people have different thoughts.  Some folks seem to define the region by UIL district alignments, some by geography, and some by who knows what.

IMO, The Trinity River separates it from the Greater Houston area out to the West.  Up north, everything north of Jasper and Newton county is not southeast texas.  Should be considered as East Texas.  Of course, The Sabine river separates it on the eastern side.  I think you can go ahead and throw the Bolivar Peninsula in as part of SETX also.  

Guest ECBucFan

E CHAMBERS is 27 miles from Beaumont...70 from Houston. 

Chambers County is adjacent to Jefferson (Beaumont) County, Newton County is not.

IMO, The Trinity River separates it from the Greater Houston area out to the West.  Up north, everything north of Jasper and Newton county is not southeast texas.  Should be considered as East Texas.  Of course, The Sabine river separates it on the eastern side.  I think you can go ahead and throw the Bolivar Peninsula in as part of SETX also.  

I agree....

Trinity River to the east, include Bolivar, and then up north to Jasper.

This website rightly includes the districts that are adjacent to this border.

Don't forget, you may be getting some Livingston fans joining up this summer due to the geographically dense UIL committee that formed the new districts.

E CHAMBERS is 27 miles from Beaumont...70 from Houston. 

Chambers County is adjacent to Jefferson (Beaumont) County, Newton County is not.

Good example of how people think differently.  You place the "center" on Jefferson, I put it on Orange.

After reading the replies above I have to admit though the counties I outlined roughly encompass "my SETX" I agree with the Trinity being the western border.  For example I include Winnie but not Mont Belvieu etc..  So that does include the eastern part of Chambers.  I also agree with the inclusion of Bolivar.

As a reminder to all:

This thread is not intended to be a poll of who should or should not be covered here.  The folks running this site do a great job of that already.  I wholeheartedly agree teams that share district alignments with SETX teams should be covered.  I also think it is silly to exclude SETX teams that get put in districts mostly in other areas. 

Either way the issue is entirely separate from what is your personal opinion of what comprises the geographic region known as "Southeast Texas".  It doesnt even necessarily have anything to do with sports directly.

Here is how I see it......

If you start in the heart of Texas and head due East to the LA border, then turn due South along the Sabine river you will end up in Jefferson County. From there you follow the coast West to the Trinity River. Hang a right and go North up the river to Livingston. From Livingston head East over to Jasper down 190 through Woodville. From there continue East down 63 through Burkeville until your back at the LA border. Everything within and along that boundary is SETX. North of there is the Piney Woods of East Texas and West of that is the Greater Houston area.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from this website.  Heck, BH fans are the reason that I joined this site.  I look forward to Livingston and North Shore fans to start registering.

This thread was made just to get opinions just as Hotrodg have stated.  Carry on... ;)

Chambers County is part of South East Texas you can look it up on most encyclopedia refernces. Folks that live in the area do see the Trinity river as a boundry, but that is there opinon. Chambers county is not part of the Greater Houston Area and is not considerd by those who live in that area. Were used to it by now! We are the FLOATER  ;D ;D

Chambers County is part of South East Texas you can look it up on most encyclopedia refernces. Folks that live in the area do see the Trinity river as a boundry, but that is there opinon. Chambers county is not part of the Greater Houston Area and is not considerd by those who live in that area. Were used to it by now! We are the FLOATER  ;D ;D

me definitely no espanol  :D :D :D :D :D :D ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Guest ECBucFan

Good example of how people think differently.  You place the "center" on Jefferson, I put it on Orange.

Thats certainly fine, but Beaumont is by far known as the "main" point in SETX. Orange is much smaller (and declining, see other thread about WOS-LCM). Also, Orange would be by definition the Easternmost point, so it couldn't really be a central point of an area, since it is the eastern edge. It's all fine however we see it, though. I can gaurantee, that no one in Winnie thinks of themselves as "Houston" people, thats for sure. 

me definitely no espanol  :D :D :D :D :D :D ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh ok  ??? No english either I assume ;D ;D

If you start in the heart of Texas and head due East to the LA border, then turn due South along the Sabine river you will end up in Jefferson County. From there you follow the coast West to the Trinity River. Hang a right and go North up the river to Livingston. From Livingston head East over to Jasper down 190 through Woodville. From there continue East down 63 through Burkeville until your back at the LA border. Everything within and along that boundary is SETX. North of there is the Piney Woods of East Texas and West of that is the Greater Houston area.

That's they way I see it, as well.  I would include Winnie and Chambers County in SETX, too.  Liberty, Dayton, Huffman, and Barbers Hill are "tweeners" in my view, but many people in the Golden Triangle consider those four more of a Baytown/Houston connection.  As someone who lives in the Houston area, I can tell you most people over here see those four towns as more of an outer Houston suburb, and not part of the Beaumont area. 

That's they way I see it, as well.  I would include Winnie and Chambers County in SETX, too.  Liberty, Dayton, Huffman, and Barbers Hill are "tweeners" in my view, but many people in the Golden Triangle consider those four more of a Baytown/Houston connection.  As someone who lives in the Houston area, I can tell you most people over here see those four towns as more of an outer Houston suburb, and not part of the Beaumont area. 

BH is in Chambers County ???

Guest rambleonus

I think the coverage should be by district.  Some of the smaller schools have to travel some far distances to compete with others in their district that are not considered Southeast Texas although looking at a Texas map you would think SET would border somewhere Southeast of Austin.  It doesn't seem right covering 1 or 2 schools and not covering their opponents too.  BTW, I'm in Kingwood. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43