Another new Lamar assistant, Director of Basketball Ops & non-conf sched

www.theexaminer.com

Roccaforte set to announce additions to coaching staff                                                                                       

Non-conference schedule could be toughest to date                                                                                                                               

By Chad Cooper, Sports Editor                                                                                                                                               

Lamar men’s head basketball coach Steve Roccaforte has made some big moves this offseason and will continue to bolster and add to his staff. Roc is also close to announcing his 2008-09 schedule.

After losing assistant coaches Brandon Aldrich (private business) and Don “Bubba†Skelton, who returned to the Junior College ranks to coach at Jones County JC in Ellisville, Miss., Roccaforte named Tic Price to one of two open positions last week. Price has 28 years of coaching experience in the college ranks including 10 years as a head coach at Memphis, New Orleans and McNeese State.

Now, Roc is set to name Silvey Dominguez as another assistant, which would complete his coaching staff joining Price and Kermit Holmes.

Dominguez will come to Beaumont from the University of New Mexico where he severed as the Director of Basketball Operations under head coach Steve Alford for one year. Dominguez, a graduate of the University of New Mexico in 1977, was an assistant at Wyoming for four seasons before returning to his alma mater. He was also an assistant coach at Utah with coach Rick Majerus, Colorado State, Air Force, UTEP and USC. Dominguez was a part of the Trojan staff when they advanced to the Elite Eight in 2001. USC also went to the NCAA Tournament in 1997 and the NIT in 1999 with Dominguez on board.

Coach Roccaforte will name a new Director of Basketball Operations and sources close to the men’s basketball team confirm it will be Dr. Mark Honea, the former girl’s basketball coach at Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson.

The 2008-09 non-conference schedule could also be the toughest to date. According to Roccaforte, the Cardinals will play road games at Memphis, Kentucky, Louisville and Rice and have a home tilt in Beaumont at the Montagne Center with Texas Tech.

The program has also been informed that ESPNU will, more than likely, come to Beaumont and televise a Southland Conference home game.

The ESPNU news is great for the SLC...

As it relates to the schedule, I am surprised Lamar has three $$$ games. In an ideal world, SLC schools would limit to two games, the amount of games that are not returned. Figured Lamar would be the front-runner in that, guess not.

SHSU had two $$$ games last year (San Diego State and Saint Louis). Would hope they'd duplicate that again.

We're keeping tabs on the SLC schedules OOC...

This is the hidden content, please

I think Roc said the Louisville game was in a tourney.

Any idea what tourney? These tourney things are changing by the year. Posted this on KatFans.com, let me post here about how a few teams are getting as many games exempt as possible...

LSU is hosting Centenary, Troy, Alcorn State and Northwestern State two weeks in a row.

Each team will play two games of the round robin one weekend and follow it the next weekend by playing the remaining two teams. Back to back weekends in Baton Rouge for all teams involved.

I think Roc said the Louisville game was in a tourney.

Any idea what tourney? These tourney things are changing by the year. Posted this on KatFans.com, let me post here about how a few teams are getting as many games exempt as possible...

LSU is hosting Centenary, Troy, Alcorn State and Northwestern State two weeks in a row.

Each team will play two games of the round robin one weekend and follow it the next weekend by playing the remaining two teams. Back to back weekends in Baton Rouge for all teams involved.

I think its called the sweet 16 only tourney. Only teams who been to the sweet 16 can get invited. Sorry SHSU.

Guest coachacola

Louisville hosts the Billy Minardi Classic right before Christmas every year.  So If Lamar is playing in it then it'll probably be the weekend after they play Texas Tech.  If Lamar does play Louisville and Memphis, they'll be playing two preseason 10 top teams.

Guest abovetherim

The ESPNU news is great for the SLC...

As it relates to the schedule, I am surprised Lamar has three $$$ games. In an ideal world, SLC schools would limit to two games, the amount of games that are not returned. Figured Lamar would be the front-runner in that, guess not.

SHSU had two $$$ games last year (San Diego State and Saint Louis). Would hope they'd duplicate that again.

We're keeping tabs on the SLC schedules OOC...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8326

If one of the games versus the above mentioned schools is in a tournament it does not count as a $$$ game. IMO, it is better to play a money game instead of a non DI school. So I don't share your opinion of limiting the $$$ games to two. Heck, didn't Nicholls State play five or six a couple years ago?

If one of the games versus the above mentioned schools is in a tournament it does not count as a $$$ game. IMO, it is better to play a money game instead of a non DI school. So I don't share your opinion of limiting the $$$ games to two. Heck, didn't Nicholls State play five or six a couple years ago?

Nicholls plays five or six on an annual basis. They need the money and are in a complete different situation than the rest of the conference...

I come up with my two money game rule as I got it from a conference that is striving to improve their RPI. They say two games against opponents who will not return the game. Obviously, a tournament situation is different and is exempt from that rule, though teams do get guarantees for participating in tournaments...

As it relates to sub-Div I, we should limit those to two games anyway.

The 2008-09 non-conference schedule could also be the toughest to date. According to Roccaforte, the Cardinals will play road games at Memphis, Kentucky, Louisville and Rice and have a home tilt in Beaumont at the Montagne Center with Texas Tech.

If the above is true then Coach Roc is heading the right direction, and if they pull a W against one of those teams that really impress me.

If the above is true then Coach Roc is heading the right direction, and if they pull a W against one of those teams that really impress me.

I think Lamar beats Rice and Texas Tech. Rice will stink this year and Tech will be weaker than this past years team. It'll take Pat at least another year to get his system and players in place.

I think Lamar beats Rice and Texas Tech. Rice will stink this year and Tech will be weaker than this past years team. It'll take Pat at least another year to get his system and players in place.

Rice is a definite. They will be better than last year's team and you guys need to let me know what you think of their facility upgrade...Tech is going to be a close game, but advantage Lamar with the game in Beaumont.

Fellas, this is about credibility for your program and recruiting. It looks good when you present to a recruit that you have Kentucky, Memphis, etc on your schedule. Schools like Lamar can't live off what was done years ago. I think Roc made some great moves with this one.

Fellas, this is about credibility for your program and recruiting. It looks good when you present to a recruit that you have Kentucky, Memphis, etc on your schedule. Schools like Lamar can't live off what was done years ago. I think Roc made some great moves with this one.

Lets just hope Roc make these type of games with big names a every year thing, even if we lose.

Guest coachacola

Losing to these teams can raise your RPI while beating crappy teams can lower your RPI.  Roc needs to schedule these games every year and as LU improves then it increases the possibility of a big name school coming to Beaumont.

So, you guys want a 'body bag' schedule of all big name institutions with pretty much all of those on the road? There's a way to get to 20 wins and have an impressive schedule with some big names.

Can't load up on all those big name schools. That's more of the Nicholls State route as they have budget numbers to meet. SLC needs to limit the numbers to two or three games a season that won't be returned (guarantee games). The coaches are working on ways to improve the conference's RPI to put us in a better position to do this...

So, you guys want a 'body bag' schedule of all big name institutions with pretty much all of those on the road? There's a way to get to 20 wins and have an impressive schedule with some big names.

Can't load up on all those big name schools. That's more of the Nicholls State route as they have budget numbers to meet. SLC needs to limit the numbers to two or three games a season that won't be returned (guarantee games). The coaches are working on ways to improve the conference's RPI to put us in a better position to do this...

Maybe if we drop Sam Houston out of the conference, then maybe the conference will................oh nevermind!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43