Hiring Honea home run for Roccaforte, Lamar basketball

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

New column from Bob West:

The minute he steps on campus, he’ll bring one of the sharpest minds to the entire university. Factor in his proven coaching ability, and his hunger to work again, and there’s nobody who could be as invaluable to Roc for the salary he had available.

Honea’s return to Lamar some 42 years after he received a basketball scholarship from Jack Martin and played on Billy Tubbs’ freshman team is a truly neat story that is endearing on several levels. It’s also another reminder of the strange twists and turns life can take.

“It just came to me in a flash that Mark would be perfect for our Director of Basketball Operations,†said the LU boss. “First of all, I trust him big time. He’s one of the smartest people I know. He won like 75 percent of his games as a coach. I thought for him to be retired and not doing anything is a big time waste of talent.

“We just lost a couple of scholarships because of the APR stuff. Who better could I hire to send a message of how serious I am about the academic side and graduating players? How many coaches have a guy with a Doctorate on their staff? Who could be more perfect to relate to professors?â€

Whole article here: http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_176160033.html?keyword=topstory

Guest abovetherim

He'll make sure they graduate! This way Lamar will not lose scholarships again. Honestly I was surprised by the hire but after reading the article I can see him making a difference in the men basketball program.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43