Christina Jaques signs for second year with Lamar State Seahawks

Lamar State College-Port Arthur head softball coach Vance Edwards put an impressive cap on an extremely productive recruiting season today, when All-Region XIV and All-American shortstop Christina Jaques signed a letter-of-intent to play a second season for the Seahawks.

“This is a huge plus for our program,†Edwards said. “We really are excited that Christina decided to come back. She is a team leader, and her statistics demonstrate the tremendous talent she brings to the field.â€

Jaques, a kinesiology major from Bridge City, had a stellar freshman year as a starter, setting nine team records and leading Region XIV in batting average and triples to earn a berth on the all-conference first team.

Nationally, she was ranked No. 23 in stolen bases and No. 27 in batting average at the end of the 2008 season.

The National Fast-Pitch Coaches Association put Jaques on its All-Midwest Region first team and later selected her for third team All-American honors.

Jaques drew interest from four-year schools after the 2008 season ended, but finally decided to re-up with Lamar State.

“I really enjoy playing here, and I’m excited about the coming year,†Jaques said. “I want to be a contributor to the team, and I hope to have the kind of year that will lead me to play for a university team in my junior and senior years.â€

When the Seahawks take the field in the fall, Jaques will see some familiar faces from her playing days at Bridge City High School. Edwards signed three BC Cardinals this spring – pitcher Shandi Conner and twin sister infielders Jenna and Lauren Angelle.

“I played with Jenna, Lauren and Shandi for three years in high school. We know how each other plays,†Jaques said. “The other players Coach Edwards recruited also are very good. We’re going to have a great team.â€

In addition to the trio from Bridge City, eleven other in-coming freshmen signed with Lamar State this spring, including all-district players from Port Neches-Groves, Hamshire-Fannett, Kirbyville, Warren and Monsignor Kelly Catholic High School in Beaumont.

Edwards also re-signed returning sophomore pitchers Shauna Kelly from Nederland and Alison Heidbreder from Houston Waltrip.

Lamar State will play a short exhibition schedule during the fall semester and will begin a fourth season in Region XIV in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

They signed a great player from 5A LaPorte also(Barnes).  BC played them twice and they know how good she is at SB.

Many folks have forgotten that Christina Jacques was an All State 3A Catcher as a Sophomore.  She will meet you when you are coming hard from third---- like LeRoy Jordon----and I never saw anyone jar her from a ball!

Christina played a couple of games behind the plate for Lamar State near the end of the season, but Coach Edwards would rather have her defensive skills in the field.

He's still looking for a catcher, although there are a couple of recruits who have played the position before.

Edwards most likely will have another open tryout day before the end of the summer. I'm on vacation today, but I'll check with him tomorrow to find out when the tryout will be.

That last-of-summer OPEN tryout opportunity sounds great!  Maybe they can distribute some fliers(with the try-out date and campus diamond location) ready to hand out to the 30+ teams and Coaches of the 18 & U girls at the US OPEN July 18-20 at the Bmt. Municipal Complex.  The Seahawks SB players are the official Hospitality Hostesses for this U S OPEN Tournament.

Out of town visiting parents and girls can also drive by and see this LamarState-PortArthur campus and the softball field, it is only 35 minutes away from the Beaumont US OPEN Tourney fields.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo