Naming of Press Box, Montagne Center Red Room and Stadium Playing Field

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

From a special meeting of the TSUS Board of Regents:

2008-78

LU: Naming of Press Box

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that:

a) The President of Lamar University be authorized to accept and publicly announce a gift of $1,000,000 from The Dan F. and Sandra A. Smith Foundation of Houston, Texas.

B) In appreciation of this most generous gift to the University and the Lamar football program, its students, and the people of Texas – and particularly Southeast Texas – the press box shall be named the Dan F. and Sandra A. Smith Press Box.

2008-79

LU: Naming of Montagne Center Red Room

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Amato, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that:

a)

The President of Lamar University be authorized to accept and publicly announce a gift of $1,000,000 from the Umphrey Family Limited Partnership on behalf of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Umphrey of Beaumont, Texas.

B)

In appreciation of this most generous gift to the University and the Lamar football program, its students, and the people of Texas – and particularly Southeast Texas – the Red Room in the Montagne Center will be named the Walter and Sheila Umphrey Red Room.

2008-80

LU: Naming of Stadium Playing Field

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that:

a)

The President of Lamar University be authorized to accept and publicly announce a gift of $700,000 from an anonymous donor.

B)

In appreciation of this most generous gift to the University and the Lamar football program, its students, and the people of Texas – and particularly Southeast Texas – the stadium playing field will be named the W. S. “Bud†Leonard Field.

President Simmons noted this item is a wonderful gift for a wonderful man. Regent Truncale also stated that it is a wonderful gift for a wonderful man and his wife.

That's $2.7 million so far.  Hopefully there's more money coming for the stadium and athletic complex.  How will they spend $1 million on the Montange Center Red Room?  Will they expand it so it has more windows and a better view of the field, or will a lot of that money be used elsewhere in renovations?

I believe around July 24th is when they'll finalize the plans for the stadium so action should start picking up soon at Cardinal Stadium.  Good times are coming.

Link: http://www.tsus.edu/regents/meeting-minutes.html

Guest mffl

It will look better than it does now... if you went to the meet and greet Coach Woodard they had blow ups of the drawings and the press box looked pretty nice... just give it some time UNLV.

It will look better than it does now... if you went to the meet and greet Coach Woodard they had blow ups of the drawings and the press box looked pretty nice... just give it some time UNLV.

What is pretty nice?  They just completed rebuilding the old press boxes, I cant see them tearing them down.

Did the drawing you saw look better than McNeese press boxes?

he does have a point UNLV. go grab a hammer and some nails, maybe some paint.. if you you wanna help. instead of complaining. lol

I remember Lamar football, I went to the games in the 70's and 80's. I remember why it failed.

Guest coachacola

The press box currently looks like Mel's diner at the top of the stadium.

C'mon Lamar, no football after 20 years and this is the best we can do.

FEMA gave Lamar $1.5 million for the press box so it was smart to use that money to rebuild it.  We've only seen one drawing of how the stadium will look, but that's not the final draft.  Until Lamar shows us the details of what they plan to do then I think it's too early to complain.  They might expand the press box, we don't know yet.

25% of the cost of renovations has to come from private donations.  If Lamar spends only the minimum of $18 million then they'll need $4.5 million in donations, and these three only add up to $2.7 million.  Either they haven't announced all the donations yet or they'll need to cut back even more on renovations.  It's been rumored that Lamar has received over $10 million in donations for the stadium, so we'll see soon enough if that's true.  We should know by the end of this month exactly what they plan to do and how much they'll spend.

he does have a point UNLV. go grab a hammer and some nails, maybe some paint.. if you you wanna help. instead of complaining. lol

I remember Lamar football, I went to the games in the 70's and 80's. I remember why it failed.

please tell us unlv, why did it fail?

please tell us unlv, why did it fail?

One word, "crappy". Everything about Lamar football, except the players, were crappy.

Crappy press box

Crappy stadium

Crappy I-AA

Crappy conference...SLC

Crappy coaches

Crappy schedule... I remember when we lost to Mississippi College

why is that? no fan support? cause of ppl like u..

Let me type in caps. I WENT TO THE GAMES IN THE 70'S AND 80'S. Did you?

i'm sorry i wasn't old enough then?

and you were probably the drunk old dude that sat behind people and annoyed the heck out of everyone around you. maybe you should get your degree and try coaching? or get a renovating business and help? or maybe, buy some tickets and just support the team? quit posting stupid comments like that. just about everyone else is excited about it, why can't you be too?

why is that? no fan support? cause of ppl like u..

Let me type in caps. I WENT TO THE GAMES IN THE 70'S AND 80'S. Did you?

i'm sorry i wasn't old enough then?

and you were probably the drunk old dude that sat behind people and annoyed the heck out of everyone around you. maybe you should get your degree and try coaching? or get a renovating business and help? or maybe, buy some tickets and just support the team? quit posting stupid comments like that. just about everyone else is excited about it, why can't you be too?

Maybe you should listen to someone who was there.

thats 20 years ago? don't you think things COULD be different? what mistakes are they repeating..

FCS is a mistake. Lamar should join FBS after the first 2 years of FCS. Lamar is joining the

SLC which means Lamar has settled for FCS.

UNLV...

Considering a moratorium is in place and there's no way around it -- unless Lamar was already in the Sun Belt, C-USA or what not -- Lamar has to wait and see what comes of the new rules that it will take to FBS. Heck, Lamar may not even be eligible if they have rules such as 20k attendance or 30k stadium....which would be impossible to obtain unless there were large upgrades...

Guest coachacola

Lamar isn't in UTSA's position of being a large school in a large metro area so there's no easy invite to a FBS conference.  And until it's clearer what lies ahead it's prudent for Lamar to join the SLC in football.  That doesn't mean Lamar will be forever in the SLC playing FCS football.  The SLC could go FBS, or there might be a massive shakeup of conferences, who knows.  I think it's going to be about 5 or 6 years from today until Lamar goes FBS.

Lamar isn't in UTSA's position of being a large school in a large metro area so there's no easy invite to a FBS conference.  And until it's clearer what lies ahead it's prudent for Lamar to join the SLC in football.  That doesn't mean Lamar will be forever in the SLC playing FCS football.  The SLC could go FBS, or there might be a massive shakeup of conferences, who knows.  I think it's going to be about 5 or 6 years from today until Lamar goes FBS.

If you go FBS, don't cut your band...Nevada had to do so to save $$$. Bet if they stayed FCS and did not suffer hemorrhaging of the $$$, that they would not have to do this...

2014 is the next wave of massive realignment if you ask me. Will Lamar be ready? Could a San Marcos shake-up in their move to FBS hurt the chances of TSUS sisters SHSU and Lamar?

University officials say cutting the band would save UNR about $200,000 a year. Groth says you can expect music at games, but it may be coming from high school bands instead. "It's just tough times these are tough decision to make... Those youngsters provided us a great service and we'll miss them."

As of June, 2009, UNR is expected to be the only school in the Western Athletic Conference without a marching band.

This is the hidden content, please

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43