Naming of Press Box, Montagne Center Red Room and Stadium Playing Field

Guest coachacola

Lamar will not have a football program without a band, period. You can write that down in stone.

That's so true, abtr. If that were to happen, my wife would be the first to picket the gates at Cardinal Stadium in protest of it. You got to have the band.

Guest abovetherim

AggieAreWe, that is part of the atmosphere missing at Lamar right now and with Dr Simmons as president there is no way Lamar has a football program without cheerleaders, a dance team, twirlers and a marching band. Heck, I'm almost as excited about seeing these young people preform in Cardinal red and white as I am seeing the football team in action.

If Lamar didn't have a band, I'd be protesting with your wife.

UNLV...

Considering a moratorium is in place and there's no way around it -- unless Lamar was already in the Sun Belt, C-USA or what not -- Lamar has to wait and see what comes of the new rules that it will take to FBS. Heck, Lamar may not even be eligible if they have rules such as 20k attendance or 30k stadium....which would be impossible to obtain unless there were large upgrades...

Coming from a guy who would love to see Sam Houston move up while Lamar is stuck in FCS playing Houston Community College. Wouldn't that

give you a life time laugh?

Lamar isn't in UTSA's position of being a large school in a large metro area so there's no easy invite to a FBS conference.  And until it's clearer what lies ahead it's prudent for Lamar to join the SLC in football.  That doesn't mean Lamar will be forever in the SLC playing FCS football.  The SLC could go FBS, or there might be a massive shakeup of conferences, who knows.  I think it's going to be about 5 or 6 years from today until Lamar goes FBS.

La-monroe is much smaller than Lamar with a much smaller metro.

Lamar might surpass La-tech this fall and our metro is bigger.

Lamar isn't in UTSA's position of being a large school in a large metro area so there's no easy invite to a FBS conference.  And until it's clearer what lies ahead it's prudent for Lamar to join the SLC in football.  That doesn't mean Lamar will be forever in the SLC playing FCS football.  The SLC could go FBS, or there might be a massive shakeup of conferences, who knows.  I think it's going to be about 5 or 6 years from today until Lamar goes FBS.

If you go FBS, don't cut your band...Nevada had to do so to save $$$. Bet if they stayed FCS and did not suffer hemorrhaging of the $$$, that they would not have to do this...

2014 is the next wave of massive realignment if you ask me. Will Lamar be ready? Could a San Marcos shake-up in their move to FBS hurt the chances of TSUS sisters SHSU and Lamar?

University officials say cutting the band would save UNR about $200,000 a year. Groth says you can expect music at games, but it may be coming from high school bands instead. "It's just tough times these are tough decision to make... Those youngsters provided us a great service and we'll miss them."

As of June, 2009, UNR is expected to be the only school in the Western Athletic Conference without a marching band.

This is the hidden content, please

Your basing that on ND 5 year contract. Nope, the shake it will happen sooner. ND is not the spark.

La-monroe is much smaller than Lamar with a much smaller metro. Lamar might surpass La-tech this fall and our metro is bigger.

UNLV...you really want Lamar to be the next ULM and LaTech? Two programs who since ULM moved from the SLC to the SBC and La Tech, from the SBC to the WAC...have seen their premier programs fall flat on their tail? You don't hear about Lady Techsters WBB anymore, do you?

Guest coachacola

2014 seems to be the year everyone's talking as far as the next big shake up of conferences because of a lot of the big TV contracts end that year.  For Lamar's sake that would be better than 2010 or 2012 because that buys time for Lamar to get the football program established and all the facility upgrades finished.

Conferences looks at more than just metro size.  They look at athletic budgets, academics, facilities, etc.  In the next 6 years the basketball team(s) need to be going to the NCAAs on a regular basis.  Lamar needs to be averaging at least 15K in football.  Enrollment needs to be at 13K minimum.  The athletic budget needs to be at least double what it is today.  Plans must be in place to expand Cardinal Stadium as soon as possible.

There's a lot work that needs to be done before Lamar is ready, put with all the changes that have taken place in the last few years I'm confident it will get done.

La-monroe is much smaller than Lamar with a much smaller metro. Lamar might surpass La-tech this fall and our metro is bigger.

UNLV...you really want Lamar to be the next ULM and LaTech? Two programs who since ULM moved from the SLC to the SBC and La Tech, from the SBC to the WAC...have seen their premier programs fall flat on their tail? You don't hear about Lady Techsters WBB anymore, do you?

If a school leaves the CUSA, who is next in line?  LA-Tech

Tech and Lamar is about the same size. Tech and Lamar was former rivals in the same conference. So why is it Tech is a big name school

and Lamar is small time?  So yes, I'd rather see Lamar in Tech position.

UL-Monroe recently beat Alabama in football. Yes, I would rather see Lamar in UL-Monroe position.

2014 seems to be the year everyone's talking as far as the next big shake up of conferences because of a lot of the big TV contracts end that year.  For Lamar's sake that would be better than 2010 or 2012 because that buys time for Lamar to get the football program established and all the facility upgrades finished.

Conferences looks at more than just metro size.  They look at athletic budgets, academics, facilities, etc.  In the next 6 years the basketball team(s) need to be going to the NCAAs on a regular basis.  Lamar needs to be averaging at least 15K in football.  Enrollment needs to be at 13K minimum.  The athletic budget needs to be at least double what it is today.  Plans must be in place to expand Cardinal Stadium as soon as possible.

There's a lot work that needs to be done before Lamar is ready, put with all the changes that have taken place in the last few years I'm confident it will get done.

I agree, more time is needed. However I doubt that time is available. Lets say you are right, 2014 is the time. That means

teams must make an announcement by 2012...right?

Guest abovetherim

Coachacola, you did not mention this and I think this could assist in the future growth to the current campus. There is a lot of land east of Rolfe Christopher Drive.

LU: Purchase of Property

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that Lamar University be authorized to purchase properties located on both the east side of Rolfe Christopher Drive and the west side of University Drive, Jefferson County, Beaumont, Texas, as identified in the Campus Master Plan property acquisition plan, for no greater than the appraised value.

http://www.tsus.edu/regents/minutes/Called%202008%2006.19.pdf

Guest coachacola
Coachacola, you did not mention this and I think this could assist in the future growth to the current campus. There is a lot of land east of Rolfe Christopher Drive.

Isn't that where they plan to build the new soccer field?

2231793382_0e844e9d00.jpg?v=0

And Lamar is slowly buying all the land in the neighborhood between MLK and Cardinal Drive.  Cardinal Village V and VI are in the planning stages.  I'm hoping Lamar reaches 15K students by 2015 with a nice 30K stadium, renovated Montagne Center and Vincent-Beck field, 6K or more of dorms and neighboring housing, new research building, and a big parking garage to boot.

At UNLV when I was there, they built a classroom building. The campus population grew by 3,000 in 1 year.

Lamar could do the same and recruit more out of Houston. I say lets wish for 20,000 by 2015.

I know its not likely, but still its better to hope for more...

If a school leaves the CUSA, who is next in line?  LA-Tech

Tech and Lamar is about the same size. Tech and Lamar was former rivals in the same conference. So why is it Tech is a big name school

and Lamar is small time?   So yes, I'd rather see Lamar in Tech position.

UL-Monroe recently beat Alabama in football. Yes, I would rather see Lamar in UL-Monroe position.

I'm not here to debate you, but why would CUSA choose LaTech as a member should CUSA decide to add someone?  Conferences look for large population base, transportation(air), hotel accomodations, etc.,  and last time I checked, Ruston was non of the above.  Sure, LaTech has been around FBS for a while, but they bring nothing to the conference.

During CUSA's last expansion, the top two universities considered for expansion were UTEP and North Texas.  UTEP won out because of there great attendance in FB and BB.  Forget that they are a zillion miles from there nearest conference mate (SMU).  Of course, I was pushing for NT while we were on a high, of sorts.  Four straight FB championships and four straight bowl games.  Sure, it was only the New Orleans Bowl, but it was in New Orleans!  No better place to host a bowl game!  But, the invite did not happen and UTEP joined.  Non of these far-stretched conferences make sense with the cost of travel, etc.  UTEP should be in the WAC and North Texas should be in CUSA.  NT will have well over 34,000 students this fall and reside in a very large (overall) market (Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex).  Too bad several professional teams reside there too.  Still, NT will continue to try and move to a more recognizable conference, or stay in the Sun Belt and help elevate it's stature in college sports.  The SBC is getting pretty close to the MAC and CUSA already.  Some think the SBC passed those conferences already.  Personally, I don't think so.

No, it was between UTEP and Tech...the WAC schools.

It's all about where you been. Though UNT brings more to the table then Tech, Tech gets the edge.

UNT and Tech shouldn't fight each other, they should fight together. UNT, Tech, and even Lamar

hasn't did much since splitting apart.

Imagine UNT, Tech, Lamar, Ark st, ULL together Again.

Add UTSA

Tulsa

SMU

Rice

Tulane

It's all about where you been. Though UNT brings more to the table then Tech, Tech gets the edge.

UNT and Tech shouldn't fight each other, they should fight together. UNT, Tech, and even Lamar

Add UTSA

Tulsa

SMU

Rice

Tulane

Nope.  You are wrong.  UTEP and UNT.  For non-BCS programs, it's not where you've been, it's location and how much you can bring to the conference table.

Seriously, not here to debate.  I enjoy your posts and insight into Lamar's football efforts.

Guest coachacola

Add UTSA

Tulsa

SMU

Rice

Tulane

Nope.  You are wrong.  UTEP and UNT.  For non-BCS programs, it's not where you've been, it's location and how much you can bring to the conference table.

Seriously, not here to debate.  I enjoy your posts and insight into Lamar's football efforts.

True, that's why people are already talking about UTSA and they haven't officially started their football program yet.  That's why LU and SETX need more time to grow.  The big plans for downtown Beaumont would help along with a growing population.  Lamar needs to keep growing and finish all the planned facility enhancements.

Add UTSA

Tulsa

SMU

Rice

Tulane

True, that's why people are already talking about UTSA and they haven't officially started their football program yet.  That's why LU and SETX need more time to grow.  The big plans for downtown Beaumont would help along with a growing population.  Lamar needs to keep growing and finish all the planned facility enhancements.

Let me talk out of both sides of my mouth. ;D  They do not some history in football for cryin' out loud.  UTSA has nothing close to football.  Then again, neither did Florida Atlantic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43

• Bye Week beat Beaumont United by double digits so not all is bad 😁
    • He made the comment as a business man he hated overtime. He never said or implied he wanted to do away with it. He has said overtime should not be taxed. That will benefit the refinery workers in our area big time…..as well as nurses. Not only would you not pay taxes and see the benefit immediately on your paycheck, my guess that at the end of the year, you would subtract all the overtime from your total wages, thus lowering your taxable imcome.
    • Well I thought it would be a better matchup for us more so than us versus yall and we got whooped 🤷🏾‍♂️ we'll see, long time before Ball High meets Lufkin though. 
    • Very critical win for Crosby last night. At no point has the current regime given me any reason to think Crosby should be able to pencil in wins but for the sake of discussion I will for FB Kempner who we play two weeks from now and also Porter who we play a couple of weeks after that. That means if Crosby can beat Kingwood Park next week we’ll most likely finish district play 5-2 and in at least 3rd place.    That being, the team could be a lot better if we had a competent offensive coach. Crosby’s offensive philosophy is to give it to Yarbrough and hope he breaks it which is why we lose to team with above average defensive talent. Crosby’s TE Landen Hammer is 6’2” and about 210lbs with crazy ball skills, an absolute mismatch problem and got one target last night. Friendswood realized Crosby had some playmakers on the edges and lots of times gave the receivers a 10 yard cushion. The problem is that Willis doesn’t know that so not once did we just raise up, throw it out to the receiver and give them an opportunity to be an athlete and make a play. So now that we’ve averaged 8 completions per game through our first four contest because 50% of the time Willis chooses to swap out 50% of the offense we look like we “don’t have the receiving talent that we used to.” Yarbrough probably had close to 300 rushing yards last night but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 35 carries. I like our backup RB but there are several kids who could help Crosby more at that position and Willis chooses not to play them there and feed Yarbrough to the point he couldn’t even finish the game last night. He continues to display an inability to efficiently use his personnel which is why we get blow out by any team with at least equal talent. Maybe something changes but Willis being 6-19 his last two and a half years on the sideline and his inability to shake the Cedar Park model don’t give much hope, which is unfortunate for the kids. 
    • Big girl is trying to make Oprah sound like Bam Morris, who was busted with 220# of weed in the trunk of his car. When the cops opened the truck and found the weed, Bam said,”That’s not mine”. Give me a break.
  • Topics