SLC Football Media Days

SLC has media days in Houston next week for football, July 21 and 22.

Any clue if Lamar will be represented? Figure it makes sense for the Cards to get some pub in Southland circles re: their new football team and talk about the future...can't recall if Southeastern La. showed up before they hit the field, know they showed up the years they were not playing SLC slates, but playing football.

Guest coachacola

SLC needs to kick Lamar out.

That's harsh.

Is there anyway we can get UNLV kicked back to UNLV?

UNLV is an enthusiastic supporter of Lamar and there's nothing wrong with that.

That's harsh.

Exactly. All I want for Lamar is the best of the best. The best conference Lamar can get into, the best stadium,

best recruits, the best everything yet that pisses off so many.

Guest abovetherim

That's harsh.

Exactly. All I want for Lamar is the best of the best. The best conference Lamar can get into, the best stadium,

UNLV, I wish there were a lot more people as passionate about Lamar as you are. I may not always agree with your comments but I do admire your enthusiasm for the Cards.

That's harsh.

We all want the best for Lamar. It's just that most of us realize that Lamar does not have carte blanche when it comes to conference, facilities, and players. We know they do not have the money to provide these opportunities but enough to get the ball rolling and to build from there. For some odd reason, you don't understand this concept.

Now if you are proposing that Lamar wait till they get enough money to build these bigger and better facilities and go FBS, then I can understand that. But it seems you think they can do that right now, and that's just absurd. You're in LALA Land.

That's harsh.

We all want the best for Lamar. It's just that most of us realize that Lamar does not have carte blanche when it comes to conference, facilities, and players. We know they do not have the money to provide these opportunities but enough to get the ball rolling and to build from there. For some odd reason, you don't understand this concept.

Now if you are proposing that Lamar wait till they get enough money to build these bigger and better facilities and go FBS, then I can understand that. But it seems you think they can do that right now, and that's just absurd. You're in LALA Land.

No, its people like you who nay say everything. You lack an imagination and vision to see anything that could be great. Lamar and Beaumont went

40 years without growth because of leaders who think like you. I like to use Kemah as an example. I'm sure you and many others would have

said, one day before construction on the boardwalk started, this guy is an idiot to build a tourist resort in this dump. You lack that vision. I am

a true believer in build it, build it right, people will come. I watched it work for years in Las Vegas. I'm watching it now in Galveston and Gilchrist.

I'm happy Beaumont in waking up and abandoning your way of thinking. I'm happy Dr Simmons do not think the nay sayers way.

Lamar built Cardinal village, Lamar built them right, people came to fill them. Lamar has started football, if Lamar don't do it right, people will not come.

PERIOD...

That's harsh.

No, its people like you who nay say everything. You lack an imagination and vision to see anything that could be great. Lamar and Beaumont went

40 years without growth because of leaders who think like you. I like to use Kemah as an example. I'm sure you and many others would have

said, one day before construction on the boardwalk started, this guy is an idiot to build a tourist resort in this dump. You lack that vision. I am

a true believer in build it, build it right, people will come. I watched it work for years in Las Vegas. I'm watching it now in Galveston and Gilchrist.

I'm happy Beaumont in waking up and abandoning your way of thinking. I'm happy Dr Simmons do not think the nay sayers way.

Lamar built Cardinal village, Lamar built them right, people came to fill them. Lamar has started football, if Lamar don't do it right, people will not come.

PERIOD...

You are leaving out one important fact with your examples. All those " visions " had the financial backing to do those things with, Lamar doesn't, at least to the high standard that you want it to be.

There's nothing wrong with starting at the bottom and working up. Many a great thing has been built that way.

Trust me, I am not a nay sayer. I want Lamar to go big time, but I know it will take some time to do it. There is no quick fix here. I have the patience to give Lamar the time they need to get there. I do have some insight to what's going on at Lamar with the football program. I'll just say, it will take longer than expected with the type upgrades that you are wanting. That doesn't mean that Lamar can't be successful. I believe they will because of who they have in charge.

That's harsh.

PERIOD...

You are leaving out one important fact with your examples. All those " visions " had the financial backing to do those things with, Lamar doesn't, at least to the high standard that you want it to be.

There's nothing wrong with starting at the bottom and working up. Many a great thing has been built that way.

Trust me, I am not a nay sayer. I want Lamar to go big time, but I know it will take some time to do it. There is no quick fix here. I have the patience to give Lamar the time they need to get there. I do have some insight to what's going on at Lamar with the football program. I'll just say, it will take longer than expected with the type upgrades that you are wanting. That doesn't mean that Lamar can't be successful. I believe they will because of who they have in charge.

There are risks from moving too slow. Let me give you an example scenario.

Lamar starts football, Lamar decides to play FCS for 5 years before considering to move up.

1st year, lets say Lamar fill the little 17,000 seat stadium every game.

2nd year lets say Lamar average 10,000 per home game... the first year hype wont last forever especially playing Nichols st.

3rd year 10,000 again...

4th same

5th same

I am being very generous with the numbers even if Lamar is winning. Lamar basketball was 13-3 in conference yet SETX half a million population could only manage

5,000 average.

Therefore with numbers like these, the nay sayers will say why would Lamar move up with 10,000 average per game?  why wasted the money when

the money can be used for something else?    In a frugal area like this you must build it quickly or it wont get built at all.

Guest coachacola

UNLV, it's not as simple as building a large stadium and Lamar will have big crowds and everyone lives happily ever after.  Nothing beats tradition in sports, except for winning.  Since Lamar barely has any football tradition, especially after almost 20 years of no football whatsoever, only winning can bring fans to the games.  And to keep the fans coming, Lamar has to keep winning.  Lamar basically has to do what Appy State is doing and create a FCS dynasty.  SETX is a lot like Houston, if you don't win then they won't show up.  UH, Rice, Texas Southern, they all have the same problem.  With 5 million people, you'd think UH and Rice would have 80,000 at their games, but they don't.  They would if they were as successful as UT.  Lamar has to win, and keeping winning, and keep progressing, and build up a big fan base.  There's no quick fixes here.

UNLV, it's not as simple as building a large stadium and Lamar will have big crowds and everyone lives happily ever after.  Nothing beats tradition in sports, except for winning.  Since Lamar barely has any football tradition, especially after almost 20 years of no football whatsoever, only winning can bring fans to the games.  And to keep the fans coming, Lamar has to keep winning.  Lamar basically has to do what Appy State is doing and create a FCS dynasty.  SETX is a lot like Houston, if you don't win then they won't show up.  UH, Rice, Texas Southern, they all have the same problem.  With 5 million people, you'd think UH and Rice would have 80,000 at their games, but they don't.  They would if they were as successful as UT.  Lamar has to win, and keeping winning, and keep progressing, and build up a big fan base.  There's no quick fixes here.

Right on!!!  Maybe you can get through to him.

That's harsh.

PERIOD...

None of those "imaginations and visions" were built on a whim.  Much market research and planning was done before the first yard of concrete was poured.  It takes a lot of money to do any of that, and to put that money up, you need some reason to believe that it will work.  I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that someone looked at building a better football stadium and going DI-FBS.  I'll also bet that the return doesn't justify the investment right now.

You do know that thinking was used to kill football at Lamar.

"If we kill football, then we can use the resources to build up other sports and improve the campus, then fans will fill the montagne, then the school can grow with improvements

then we can return football in 10 years."

It didn't work out. Why? too many "then's" to accomplish.

Now

Lamar starts FCS, then must build up, then get community support, then invite to another conference, then increase stadium sizes, etc..

Can it work that way?  yes. In my opinion its unlikely.

Without shock and aww, Lamar risk the old lamar small time football image returning.

Guest coachacola

I disagree.  That thinking is what built the basketball program.  Lamar's success in basketball came when they played in the 3500 seat McDonald gym.  Basketball went downhill soon after the Montagne Center was built.  There were big crowds at the Montagne Center for a few years, but after the "shock and aww" wore off, people stopped coming because the team stopped winning.  Winning is what got Lamar a nice large arena and winning is what kept them coming.

Now about football.  The fans know LU won't be competing at UT's or LSU's level for a while.  That doesn't mean they won't show up.  Back in 1979 Lamar went 6-3-2 and averaged over 16K per game.  Here's who they played at home that year:  La Tech, West Texas A&M, McNeese, UL-Laf, and Northwestern State.  No great teams, no big name school, mostly former and current SLC teams. 

Lamar just needs to win and the rest will follow.

I disagree.  That thinking is what built the basketball program.  Lamar's success in basketball came when they played in the 3500 seat McDonald gym.  Basketball went downhill soon after the Montagne Center was built.  There were big crowds at the Montagne Center for a few years, but after the "shock and aww" wore off, people stopped coming because the team stopped winning.  Winning is what got Lamar a nice large arena and winning is what kept them coming.

Now about football.  The fans know LU won't be competing at UT's or LSU's level for a while.  That doesn't mean they won't show up.  Back in 1979 Lamar went 6-3-2 and averaged over 16K per game.  Here's who they played at home that year:  La Tech, West Texas A&M, McNeese, UL-Laf, and Northwestern State.  No great teams, no big name school, mostly former and current SLC teams. 

Lamar just needs to win and the rest will follow.

What if they don't win?  cancel football again? stay FCS?

Back in 1979, Lamar played at LSU and UT level so 16k was a slam dunk. Lamar football attendance went down after I-AA and now Lamar wants to

repeat that I-AA/FCS mistake.

Guest coachacola

A big reason I think for the new athletic fee is to help finance football, even during the bad times.  Since they now know the harm that canceling football caused I doubt they would do it again.

Back in 1979, Lamar played at LSU and UT level so 16k was a slam dunk. Lamar football attendance went down after I-AA and now Lamar wants to repeat that I-AA/FCS mistake.

Technically they were D1-A but Lamar mostly played SLC level D1-A schools and they also played a lot of non-D1 schools.  Attendance didn't drop just because Lamar went I-AA, there were a lot of other factors, like the local economy tanking and people leaving SETX in droves and Lamar all but abandoning the football program in favor of basketball and letting it die a slow death.

A big reason I think for the new athletic fee is to help finance football, even during the bad times.  Since they now know the harm that canceling football caused I doubt they would do it again.

Back in 1979, Lamar played at LSU and UT level so 16k was a slam dunk. Lamar football attendance went down after I-AA and now Lamar wants to repeat that I-AA/FCS mistake.

Technically they were D1-A but Lamar mostly played SLC level D1-A schools and they also played a lot of non-D1 schools.  Attendance didn't drop just because Lamar went I-AA, there were a lot of other factors, like the local economy tanking and people leaving SETX in droves and Lamar all but abandoning the football program in favor of basketball and letting it die a slow death.

I think the economy played a part, however when Lamar football started dropping, the Beaumont economy was ranked number 1.

Look it up. But I don't want to argue this case again. It's not in either one of our hands. I think Lamar football is a guarantee success play FBS in a bowl type stadium.

I think Lamar football struggle playing FCS in a high school looking stadium. Las Vegas vs Lake Charles, ppl like the loud flashy types.

Guest coachacola
I think Lamar football is a guarantee success play FBS in a bowl type stadium.

I agree with that, but the problem is they just can't do that right now.  Thanks to the previous administrations for running LU into the ground (dropping football, leaving the Sun Belt, declining enrollment), it's going to take time to get there.  I'm hoping sometime between 2012 and 2014 when  the supposedly conference shakeups start happening Lamar will be ready to make that jump.

I think Lamar football is a guarantee success play FBS in a bowl type stadium.

I agree with that, but the problem is they just can't do that right now.  Thanks to the previous administrations for running LU into the ground (dropping football, leaving the Sun Belt, declining enrollment), it's going to take time to get there.  I'm hoping sometime between 2012 and 2014 when  the supposedly conference shakeups start happening Lamar will be ready to make that jump.

If the plan is for FBS by 2012-2014 and a expanded semi-bowl or bowl stadium, then Lamar will have a successful program.

Anything less, Lamar football = Titantic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43

• He made the comment as a business man he hated overtime. He never said or implied he wanted to do away with it. He has said overtime should not be taxed. That will benefit the refinery workers in our area big time…..as well as nurses. Not only would you not pay taxes and see the benefit immediately on your paycheck, my guess that at the end of the year, you would subtract all the overtime from your total wages, thus lowering your taxable imcome.
    • Well I thought it would be a better matchup for us more so than us versus yall and we got whooped 🤷🏾‍♂️ we'll see, long time before Ball High meets Lufkin though. 
    • Very critical win for Crosby last night. At no point has the current regime given me any reason to think Crosby should be able to pencil in wins but for the sake of discussion I will for FB Kempner who we play two weeks from now and also Porter who we play a couple of weeks after that. That means if Crosby can beat Kingwood Park next week we’ll most likely finish district play 5-2 and in at least 3rd place.    That being, the team could be a lot better if we had a competent offensive coach. Crosby’s offensive philosophy is to give it to Yarbrough and hope he breaks it which is why we lose to team with above average defensive talent. Crosby’s TE Landen Hammer is 6’2” and about 210lbs with crazy ball skills, an absolute mismatch problem and got one target last night. Friendswood realized Crosby had some playmakers on the edges and lots of times gave the receivers a 10 yard cushion. The problem is that Willis doesn’t know that so not once did we just raise up, throw it out to the receiver and give them an opportunity to be an athlete and make a play. So now that we’ve averaged 8 completions per game through our first four contest because 50% of the time Willis chooses to swap out 50% of the offense we look like we “don’t have the receiving talent that we used to.” Yarbrough probably had close to 300 rushing yards last night but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 35 carries. I like our backup RB but there are several kids who could help Crosby more at that position and Willis chooses not to play them there and feed Yarbrough to the point he couldn’t even finish the game last night. He continues to display an inability to efficiently use his personnel which is why we get blow out by any team with at least equal talent. Maybe something changes but Willis being 6-19 his last two and a half years on the sideline and his inability to shake the Cedar Park model don’t give much hope, which is unfortunate for the kids. 
    • Big girl is trying to make Oprah sound like Bam Morris, who was busted with 220# of weed in the trunk of his car. When the cops opened the truck and found the weed, Bam said,”That’s not mine”. Give me a break.
    • Aggies with the “brunch” game today. I think Missouri will be a tough matchup. Playing at Kyle may have an effect.
  • Topics