Southland TV Network Formed

Guest coachacola

Is the first step in moving the SLC towards FBS land?  The SLC is in a lot of the larger markets in Texas and Arkansas (DFW, SA, Austin, Little Rock, lots of SLC alumni in Houston), along with Corpus Christi, SETX and Lake Charles.  I think the SLC should eventually dump some of the LA schools and find some larger market schools in the region (if possible).

Is the first step in moving the SLC towards FBS land?  The SLC is in a lot of the larger markets in Texas and Arkansas (DFW, SA, Austin, Little Rock, lots of SLC alumni in Houston), along with Corpus Christi, SETX and Lake Charles.  I think the SLC should eventually dump some of the LA schools and find some larger market schools in the region (if possible).

I dunno coach. Mass dumping loyal schools is not likely. Many SLC schools moving up, not likely.

Guest coachacola

With the SLC located in some big media markets they need to start taking advantage of it.  But I do agree that the SLC just won't dump any schools. But if 6 to 8 of the larger market schools could break away to form a new conference with some other breakaway schools then the tv network would probably follow.

When LU and the other schools left the SLC to form the American South conference in the 1980s, they had several factors going against them: (1) no automatic bids, (2) no football conference, and (3) no tv money.  This time they can do it right.  With a big shakeup of conferences coming soon, UTSA, Texas State, Lamar, SHSU, McNeese State, and Cental Arkansas (and maybe a few others) can join up with some current FBS schools and start a new conference.  This new conference would (1) keep it's automatic bids, (2) be a FBS football conference, and (3) already have a tv network in place.

Terror do you think Tubbs was behind this TV network. SLC leaders are not known for being innovative.

We are lucky to have Tom Burnett as our commissioner. Under his lead, a lot of great things have happened, even before Tubbs came into the league as AD at Lamar. The big things have been our relationship with the Big 12 in football officiating, something that is now being emulated all over the place. Southland TV is huge. Taking the conference back into Arkansas, wonderful. Burnett is one of the power players at the FCS level when it comes to ADs. We got someone very well respected...

Terror do you think Tubbs was behind this TV network. SLC leaders are not known for being innovative.

We are lucky to have Tom Burnett as our commissioner. Under his lead, a lot of great things have happened, even before Tubbs came into the league as AD at Lamar. The big things have been our relationship with the Big 12 in football officiating, something that is now being emulated all over the place. Southland TV is huge. Taking the conference back into Arkansas, wonderful. Burnett is one of the power players at the FCS level when it comes to ADs. We got someone very well respected...

Burnett had years to introduce TV, interesting the network starts after football is annouced in Beaumont. Thank Tubbs, not Burnett.

Guest coachacola

Channel 6 is in talks to show some games on Cable Channel 18.

That makes sense since they've shown a lot of Lamar basketball games in the past.

Burnett had years to introduce TV, interesting the network starts after football is annouced in Beaumont. Thank Tubbs, not Burnett.

UNLV -- what happened to your reading comprehension? While it does not state a time, it states that they've had this committee in place  and with as big a decision as they came to and the SLC timeline (when meetings are, etc) -- had to come before Lamar's big announcement. Takes time to make things work...

UNLV -- what happened to your reading comprehension? While it does not state a time, it states that they've had this committee in place  and with as big a decision as they came to and the SLC timeline (when meetings are, etc) -- had to come before Lamar's big announcement. Takes time to make things work...

Anyone can put a committe in place, yet everything just so happen to fall in place around the time Lamar football is annouced.

So let me put the peices together...

CC not Burnett

UCA, great work Burnett

bad slc decisions, Tubbs fault

slc tv, great work Burnett

Anyone see a pattern?

Anyone can put a committe in place, yet everything just so happen to fall in place around the time Lamar football is annouced.

Seems to me, they held off the announcement until SLC Media Days. That's when you do any and all major announcement pertaining to the conference because that's the only time a year you have every SID staff there, most every media member, etc.

CC not Burnett

UCA, great work Burnett

bad slc decisions, Tubbs fault

slc tv, great work Burnett

Anyone see a pattern?

Burnett helped open the door for A&M-CC, but the problems that exist there have been in place since before they came into the SLC. Ronnie Arrow has a track record and apparently, there was a lack of institutional control present. UCA has flourished in the SLC and getting back into Arkansas was a great thing.

Tubbs is at fault over the Wednesday move in basketball. Anyone affiliated with the SLC could agree to as much. The neutral site tournament, which I agree with, is a mutual Tubbs/Burnett thing. Tubbs gets the most crap from it -- especially since many believe he pushed it in an effort to get it into Beaumont, but I think a profitable conference tournament at a neutral site would be great for the SLC.

SLC-TV is just another innovative thing the conference has done. I know you do not follow football, but we've gotten the shaft there for the last 2-3 years. Basketball hasn't been too much better. This helped the schools in the conference and this gets a big thumbs up. Oddly enough, the diminished coverage and the SLC working to fix it has been going on for several years, before Lamar students even passed a fee...

Guest abovetherim

Tubbs is at fault over the Wednesday move in basketball. Anyone affiliated with the SLC could agree to as much. The neutral site tournament, which I agree with, is a mutual Tubbs/Burnett thing. Tubbs gets the most crap from it -- especially since many believe he pushed it in an effort to get it into Beaumont, but I think a profitable conference tournament at a neutral site would be great for the SLC.

Again, you can't prove the move to Wednesday from Thursday will be bad for the student-athlete? Isn't that the most important aspect of your debate.

Let's see how is works before staying it is a bad decision. Besides you I haven't read anyone on this site complaining.

No need to post some UCA fan's comments. I already read those and I understand it could be difficult for them.

Again, you can't prove the move to Wednesday from Thursday will be bad for the student-athlete? Isn't that the most important aspect of your debate.

ABR3 -- you ever travel with a basketball team? I've done it before. Not a proponent of Weds/Sat. I'd rather be at home Thurs/Sat or on the road Thurs/Sat, not all of this split up trips.

A) Worst officiating -- we're on the same night as many of the conferences we get officials from (see C-USA, Big 12). In fact, the Sun Belt moved men's hoops to Thursday to get better officials -- as they are in the same Dale Kelley group as we are.

B) Church Night -- has an impact on attendance due to all those who go to Church.

C) Equal, if not more missed class time. If the game is more than x amount of hours away, a team will leave the day before. This conference is larger and further apart than it has ever been before (think Corpus, Conway and Cajun Corner). The "travel partners" that existed, especially when playing foes in the other division is non-existant. Splitting up the Cajun Corner means that instead of one long bus trip to that side of the conference, teams have to go back twice -- sometimes, both mid-week games.

Let's see how is works before staying it is a bad decision. Besides you I haven't read anyone on this site complaining.

There's complaints on other boards. You read the UCA fan boards, but it's not just them. As noted above, the conference is larger and further spread out. This is a bus league for most purposes -- it's not like you can take flights around the league, just not cost effective.

Guest abovetherim

Yep, I've traveled with the team several times. My brother is a Administrative Pastor with over 1,000 members in Orange, Texas. If you were talking about playing on Sunday I would agree.

I wish I could miss class time and have a person come to the house and give me one-on-one instruction. I know Lamar has a tutor traveling with the team. Now, we have a coach in Dr. Mark Honea who will be a tremendous in this area of assisting the basketball team with their academics.

Honestly, I don't see how the officiating can be any worse.

I wish I could miss class time and have a person come to the house and give me one-on-one instruction. I know Lamar has a tutor traveling with the team. Now, we have a coach in Dr. Mark Honea who will be a tremendous in this area of assisting the basketball team with their academics.

Not all teams are as fortunate...

Honestly, I don't see how the officiating can be any worse.

Wednesdays are Big XII and C-USA in our referee alliance. The top refs are heading there. With the SLC on Wednesdays, we are getting third tier officials. The Sun Belt schools did not like Wednesdays officiating and moved to Thursday. They were the third tier before the SLC and them "switched" spots...

Guest abovetherim

I may agree with you after the season. I don't see how a person X can officiate a Big XII game on Wednesday then travel to a SLC game on Thursdays. I think we are already getting 3rd tier officials.

Again, I could be way off here. But, I'll wait to pass judgement until seeing a few games on Thursday.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and not going to pretend to be as smart as either one of you on this matter.  But as much as I hate to agree with TT, I do.  I agree with all points.  A former coworker of mind dropped his two season tickets and Cardinal Club membership because of the Wednesday night games. Church and being a 12 hour shift worker made it more difficult to make games.  Low and behold the next season was Thursday night games.

TT covered the travel and the classroom pretty well.  The officiating.....what a mess.  We are definitely getting bottom feeders.

Guest abovetherim

bigred, thanks for your input regarding the move to Wednesday night games. You and TT are probably correct. I'm just backing our AD. ;D

I may agree with you after the season. I don't see how a person X can officiate a Big XII game on Wednesday then travel to a SLC game on Thursdays. I think we are already getting 3rd tier officials.

Bobby Knight was throwing a fit about this the other year -- how officials are overworked and making bad calls because of it. These individuals do make quick turnarounds between games, whether they are calling a collegiate or HS game the night before.

I've been in officials meetings before the game (having worked on the scorers' table for at least four institutions) and have had officials tell me where they've worked the night before.

• 5 weeks later...

Throw in Baton Rouge...

This is the hidden content, please

#5 DFW (UTA)

#10 Houston (SHSU and LU)

#37 San Antonio (UTSA, Texas State-San Marcos)

#51 Austin (Texas State-San Marcos)

#53 New Orleans (SLU and Nicholls State)

#57 Little Rock (UCA)

#82 Shreveport (Northwestern State)

#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

#111 Tyler-Longview-Lufkin-Nacogdoches (SFA)

#129 Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC)

#141 Beaumont-Port Arthur (Lamar)

#176 Lake Charles (McNeese)

#180 Alexandria (Northwestern State)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43