ODU Finalizes First Year Schedule

Old Dominion, fielding a football team in 2009 for the first time since 1940 have announced their football schedule. Seven home games. Four road games. Lamar as we know has one confirmed road games (McNeese). Substantiated rumors and discussions have also led to near confirmation of one additional road game and another home game.

I'll break down ODU's schedule so you get an idea of what they are facing...

Division II - 2

Non-Scholarship Division I - 3

Partial Scholarship Division I - 1

Full Scholarship FCS - 5

2009 Old Dominion University Football Schedule

Sept. 5 - Chowan - Division II

Sept. 12 - Virginia Union - Division II

Sept. 19 - at Jacksonville - Division I Non-Scholarship

Sept. 26 - Monmouth - Division I Partial-Scholarship

Oct. 3 - NC Central - MEAC

Oct. 10 - Presbyterian - Big South

Oct. 17 - Campbell - Division I Non-Scholarship

Oct. 24 - at Savannah State - Division I Independent

Oct. 31 - Georgetown - Patriot League

Nov. 7 - OPEN

Nov. 14 - at Iona - Division I Non-Scholarship

Nov. 21 - at VMI - Big South

Guest coachacola

That's a pretty boring schedule but I've heard they've sold over 10K in season tickets.  South Alabama also has first year season ticket sales over 10K.  No matter who Lamar plays at home in 2010, they should aim for at least 10K in season ticket sales.  I think that's an attainable goal.

That's a pretty boring schedule but I've heard they've sold over 10K in season tickets.  South Alabama also has first year season ticket sales over 10K.  No matter who Lamar plays at home in 2010, they should aim for at least 10K in season ticket sales.  I think that's an attainable goal.

ODU's schedule is not boring by any means. Nine Division I opponents! That's not bad for a program that is new to FCS. Coachacola, you are better than that! Look at schedules of other new programs. Seven home games and nine Division I opponents may be the best one you'll find...

South Alabama is playing Hargrave Military Academy in season 1. They also have Kentucky Weslayan and if I am not mistaken, the George Mason club football team! Have you looked up Hargrave and seen who they play? Seen the score when Kentucky Weslayan played an SLC foe recently? Did you even know club football exists?

You guys may not end up being jealous of ODU's, maybe you will -- but ODU has a tougher opening slate than South Alabama by far! You guys will have somewhere in the middle...three or four SLC foes (which include two road contests in your first three games), then it'll be interesting from that point forward...

Guest coachacola

Well, having seven home games is pretty nice.  But because of most of these teams are on the east coast I just don't care about them.  I'm not saying it's not a tough schedule, just that's it's loaded with teams I've not heard of or barely recognize.  Hopefully I won't be saying that about Lamar's first year schedule.

Well, having seven home games is pretty nice.  But because of most of these teams are on the east coast I just don't care about them.  I'm not saying it's not a tough schedule, just that's it's loaded with teams I've not heard of or barely recognize.  Hopefully I won't be saying that about Lamar's first year schedule.

You'll get to understand in FCS football, that it seems that most teams will play a more "regional schedule". That is part of the problem with the SLC in FCS. Outside of the SWAC for which you can pretty much drive to all foes, you are looking at the Great West and Big Sky. Those leagues require travel by plane -- which is not too good on the budget. On the east coast, you can play quite a few OOC foes within a few hour drive, especially in the areas north of Virginia. With the economy as is and traveling costs as high as is, this is not helping the Southland in scheduling. I think there's a College Sporting News column on this coming out soon...

ODU's schedule is all East Coast schools and not boring for them. The fact they got all those Division I opponents is very impressive. USA already has three sub-Div I opponents and they have much deeper pockets than ODU, who will easily get to 13-14k in season tickets (which is their cap in order to allow 6k for students and 1k for walk-ups)...

ODU's schedule is not boring by any means. Nine Division I opponents! That's not bad for a program that is new to FCS. Coachacola, you are better than that! Look at schedules of other new programs. Seven home games and nine Division I opponents may be the best one you'll find...

South Alabama is playing Hargrave Military Academy in season 1. They also have Kentucky Weslayan and if I am not mistaken, the George Mason club football team! Have you looked up Hargrave and seen who they play? Seen the score when Kentucky Weslayan played an SLC foe recently? Did you even know club football exists?

You guys may not end up being jealous of ODU's, maybe you will -- but ODU has a tougher opening slate than South Alabama by far! You guys will have somewhere in the middle...three or four SLC foes (which include two road contests in your first three games), then it'll be interesting from that point forward...

That is a chump schedule. I would be ashame if that was Lamar schedule. 

Guest coachacola
You'll get to understand in FCS football, that it seems that most teams will play a more "regional schedule". That is part of the problem with the SLC in FCS. Outside of the SWAC for which you can pretty much drive to all foes, you are looking at the Great West and Big Sky.

Which is probably one of the reasons the SLC is looking to go FBS.  I would prefer to see a team from the Sunbelt come to Beaumont than some east or west coast FCS team.  Looking at McNeese State's schedule, they have Delta State, Cal Poly and Southern Virginia coming to Lake Charles.  I bet they would prefer ULL, La Tech or Troy coming in over one of those teams.

Wonder what the reaction will be here when the schedule is not what you guys are expecting...and more in line with programs like Old Dominion, Southeastern Louisiana, South Alabama, etc for their first year of NCAA football...

Then again, Lamar does tend to surprise...there are probably some folks that may let a few things get to their head and you may have 11 Division I games that opening season.

ODU went and talked to the folks (FAU, Coastal Carolina, etc) that had just begun football and were able to turn their programs into winners quickly. Wonder who Lamar and Woodard are talking to regarding scheduling and other things that first-year programs have unique...

Wonder what the reaction will be here when the schedule is not what you guys are expecting...and more in line with programs like Old Dominion, Southeastern Louisiana, South Alabama, etc for their first year of NCAA football...

Then again, Lamar does tend to surprise...there are probably some folks that may let a few things get to their head and you may have 11 Division I games that opening season.

ODU went and talked to the folks (FAU, Coastal Carolina, etc) that had just begun football and were able to turn their programs into winners quickly. Wonder who Lamar and Woodard are talking to regarding scheduling and other things that first-year programs have unique...

McNeese and SELU doesn't sound like a ODU schedule so far....

Yes it does. ODU has two Big South teams, a MEAC team and a Patriot League team. All three conference have automatic bids like the SLC does to the postseason. May not sound like much because you guys think too "regionally" with mid-majors, but comparable. Big South is a quickly improving conference (will have an auto-bid in 2010) and the MEAC has gotten two teams in during recent years.

Yes it does. ODU has two Big South teams, a MEAC team and a Patriot League team. All three conference have automatic bids like the SLC does to the postseason. May not sound like much because you guys think too "regionally" with mid-majors, but comparable. Big South is a quickly improving conference (will have an auto-bid in 2010) and the MEAC has gotten two teams in during recent years.

LOL...  All I see is DII, Non-Scholarship and Partial-Scholarship.. Lamar is yet to sign its first player yet I would predict

Lamar a winninng record versus that cup-cake schedule.

Come on UNLV -- read between the lines.

Nov. 7 - OPEN

Guest abovetherim

I agree with UNLV here to a point. Lamar will have at least 4 SLC teams on the schedule in 2010. Now, if you are calling SLC teams cupcakes including McNeese State then we can't debate.

I think Lamar's 2010 schedule will be tougher than either of these schools.

I agree with UNLV here to a point. Lamar will have at least 4 SLC teams on the schedule in 2010. Now, if you are calling SLC teams cupcakes including McNeese State then we can't debate. I think Lamar's 2010 schedule will be tougher than either of these schools.

Four SLC schools in the first four weeks of the season. Road games in week 1 (McNeese) and 3 (Southeastern La) with home games in week 2 (TBA) and week 4 (TBA). It's going to be a brutal opening for a new program, tougher than any other seen in recent years...

The questions come after week 4 -- who will end up on the LU schedule? That will be the fun part.

If Lamar can manage nine Division I opponents like ODU, I will be impressed. Five home games in their final seven games would be impressive like ODU's seven.

Come on UNLV -- read between the lines.

Nov. 7 - OPEN

WHO, WHO, AND WHO?   The only school I recognize is Savannah st. And the only reason I recognize them is because the

basketball team was like 0-31 a few years back.

WHO, WHO, AND WHO?   The only school I recognize is Savannah st. And the only reason I recognize them is because the basketball team was like 0-31 a few years back.

For someone that claims UNLV and Lamar as their #1 schools -- I am surprised you do not recognize Georgetown. I'm sure ABR3 and perhaps some of those Univ of Houston fans that lurk this board, can tell you about Georgetown...

I seem to recall a guy named Patrick Ewing who went there...ABR3 can correct me, if I'm wrong!

WHO, WHO, AND WHO?   The only school I recognize is Savannah st. And the only reason I recognize them is because the basketball team was like 0-31 a few years back.

For someone that claims UNLV and Lamar as their #1 schools -- I am surprised you do not recognize Georgetown. I'm sure ABR3 and perhaps some of those Univ of Houston fans that lurk this board, can tell you about Georgetown...

I seem to recall a guy named Patrick Ewing who went there...ABR3 can correct me, if I'm wrong!

IN FOOTBALL...Geez do I need to SHSU everything down to you.

Guest coachacola

The first year or two it won't matter too much who Lamar plays, people will be excited about the return of football.  But 5 or 6 years from now that type of schedule will start to bore people.  Getting La Tech or ULL to come to town would be a lot more exciting than any of those teams, including Georgetown.

Getting La Tech or ULL to come to town would be a lot more exciting than any of those teams, including Georgetown.

Good luck getting ULL or La Tech to Beaumont. Unless you are FBS, that's a pipe dream. ULL can not by SBC rules. The WAC might allow it (Idaho, may have been in the SBC still, traveled to Montana a few years back), but they may have changed the rule since. Regardless, La Tech has too big a head to go to Beaumont...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43

• Bye Week beat Beaumont United by double digits so not all is bad 😁
    • He made the comment as a business man he hated overtime. He never said or implied he wanted to do away with it. He has said overtime should not be taxed. That will benefit the refinery workers in our area big time…..as well as nurses. Not only would you not pay taxes and see the benefit immediately on your paycheck, my guess that at the end of the year, you would subtract all the overtime from your total wages, thus lowering your taxable imcome.
    • Well I thought it would be a better matchup for us more so than us versus yall and we got whooped 🤷🏾‍♂️ we'll see, long time before Ball High meets Lufkin though. 
    • Very critical win for Crosby last night. At no point has the current regime given me any reason to think Crosby should be able to pencil in wins but for the sake of discussion I will for FB Kempner who we play two weeks from now and also Porter who we play a couple of weeks after that. That means if Crosby can beat Kingwood Park next week we’ll most likely finish district play 5-2 and in at least 3rd place.    That being, the team could be a lot better if we had a competent offensive coach. Crosby’s offensive philosophy is to give it to Yarbrough and hope he breaks it which is why we lose to team with above average defensive talent. Crosby’s TE Landen Hammer is 6’2” and about 210lbs with crazy ball skills, an absolute mismatch problem and got one target last night. Friendswood realized Crosby had some playmakers on the edges and lots of times gave the receivers a 10 yard cushion. The problem is that Willis doesn’t know that so not once did we just raise up, throw it out to the receiver and give them an opportunity to be an athlete and make a play. So now that we’ve averaged 8 completions per game through our first four contest because 50% of the time Willis chooses to swap out 50% of the offense we look like we “don’t have the receiving talent that we used to.” Yarbrough probably had close to 300 rushing yards last night but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 35 carries. I like our backup RB but there are several kids who could help Crosby more at that position and Willis chooses not to play them there and feed Yarbrough to the point he couldn’t even finish the game last night. He continues to display an inability to efficiently use his personnel which is why we get blow out by any team with at least equal talent. Maybe something changes but Willis being 6-19 his last two and a half years on the sideline and his inability to shake the Cedar Park model don’t give much hope, which is unfortunate for the kids. 
    • Big girl is trying to make Oprah sound like Bam Morris, who was busted with 220# of weed in the trunk of his car. When the cops opened the truck and found the weed, Bam said,”That’s not mine”. Give me a break.
  • Topics