ROWDIE RETIRES

Guest WeedBegone

Guest WeedBegone

Several weeks ago, the ladies on Rowdie started realizing that the end of this softball team was getting close.  In situations like this it is easy to lay down, loose interest and let the feeling of burn-out eat at you one game at a time.  But these ladies chose to commit themselves to play every inning of every game as if it was their last—and leave it all out on the fields.  I wish many of you could have seen these ladies eliminating  teams as they welcomed them to the losers’ bracket then sent them to the front desk to ask for an early check-out.  They stretched every muscle, dove at every ball, ran every inch, to keep their season alive.  Even in the last game while running on fumes –they ended three innings on bang-bang double plays against the California Rage.  Rowdie pitched, batted, and hustled themselves to a very respectable finish in the NAFA tournament.

The “ROWDIE†organization has been a low-key, low-profile, yet very hard working and competitive team.  I doubt this team has ever had its name in any of the local news media.  In fact, Rowdie was the only team not mentioned on KFDM Sports as a team even going to the NAFA National tournament.  We have spent little to no time self promoting (probably too tired after Caesar’s long practices which ended only when he could not recognize who he was pitching to ).

Much different from other organizations, Rowdie found its players only by word of mouth.  We have never posted try-outs in the newspaper or any other media. Our goals were simple - we offered a team for area players who still had interest in softball but also had multi-dimensional activities.  We asked them to commit to playing at a level that would still expose other teammates to colleges.  It was very difficult to get the desired results, but Coach Jay stuck with it and I believe he was very successful.  We never had any fundraisers and kept team fees to the minimum.  We just played girls fast pitch softball when we had right numbers to field the team. 

Rowdie is coached and managed by Jay Brocato.  Different from lots of other coaches, rather than a team committing to play for a coach, Jay committed himself to the team.  He practices the ladies at a very intense level and pushes them hard—and then he makes himself available to work with them one-on-one.  Before they could drive—he was the type that will pick em up and deliver them back.  Behind his back, his assistant coaches called him Caesar.

The bucket dude is Scott Burns.  Scott concentrated on pitchers and catchers and ball management.  He also was very committed to his duties and somehow knows the tendencies of almost all the teams in this area.  During games, this coach is about as serious as any body can get, and off the field he is the most relaxed.  Prefers heavy rock over symphonic.

Our assistant to the assistant to the head coach was Drew Leblanc who still is young enough to show and teach the proper techniques and mechanics to our players.  He also is known to attempt to show the umpires some of the proper mechanics. 

Oh, I almost forgot, I am Mike Hamilton.  I am just a weed killing water-boy.  But I really do take my responsibilities seriously.  Because if you keep the weeds in check and provide proper nourishment---you can produce the CREAM OF THE CROP, which will be my next post.  Stay tuned!!

Guest BreakerCoach

Have been around and competed against you guys for a long time. Always a classy group ! Best of luck to all as you move on. You guys will have a lifetime of memories, especially those late night guitar sessions !

Guest WeedBegone

Have been around and competed against you guys for a long time. Always a classy group ! Best of luck to all as you move on. You guys will have a lifetime of memories, especially those late night guitar sessions !

BC--I see where your starting another team up.  Did you get the idea from Brett Favre?  Maybe BigHam can start another team and call it Rowdie to too;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats