J'Covan Brown To Texas is Not Happening

Guest mffl

It's the same way alot of kids think they are going to be getting a call from the next level to come play.  Most parents do not tell their kids how difficult it is to do that. But another problem is that the parents actually think their kid is good enough to play at the next level.  It's the parents who were not engaged in athletics while growing up and now have kids who are playing, that usually have this problem. it's EVERYWHERE....CLUELESS about what has to happen for kids to get to the next level. Parents need to tell the kids to worry about the H.S. level first.  If they get that call, great. But in most cases it is not going to happen.  It'a a numbers game!

Do you know where this kid is from?  It is less likely about parents playing or not...  This kid parents may have not even gone to college.  I am a first generation college kid, pretty sure Jacovin is too!

I hate to say this... but...

Please do not comment on people who you know nothing about!  His parents cared deeply about his academics...I know!  I spent MANY a long night at my house, at school, at his house, at the rec center, etc helping him study.  His mother is a fine woman who cares deeply for the success of her family! (as is is father)  to bash these people because a kid does not live up to your expectations is ridiculous! If it is you opinion that he is wasting his talent, then let it be at that.  What is gained by all of your comments??  NOTHING!

I teach alot of kids each day that struggle with academics.  For some it would be an achievement to graduate high school.  Why now is one of these kids who happens to be good at sports villified because he does not live up to your academic standards?

Lay off the young man...  If not, get on here and bash the hundreds of other kids in this area who don't make the honor roll!

Also, before someone says that I did this so he could be elgible to play, please remember that some of us actually got into this profession to help kids!!!

The honor roll?  Are you serious?  He needed to make the MINIMUM passing grades and scores on his exit tests.  And he did not do it.  You are right his parents do have a big part in this...in the way he way raised and what he was taught academically.  But by the time he gets to the age he is now, it's all on him.

I wasn't bashing the kid or his parents...  But it is one thing to try an get your kids to do something you have no idea about and having a kid that comes from a rich college background.  It's is difficult to teach your kids about something you weren't apart of.  Then he has PA pulling at his heels trying to drag him down.  I was commenting on his environment... 

Example... All the things my parents said to me about college was tottally irrelevant and untrue (because you can go to college and still be a bum, it depends on the degree)... I put research into finding out more and that is what pushed me to college. On the other hand I have a friend that is a 6th generation UT grad.  All that knowledge and experience is what he grew up seeing.  So he knew exactly what college had in store for him, and what majors paid good income).

Last example, my parents told me get a college degree and you will be successful, untrue.  Most Black /Low Income kids that go to college, use financial aide(loans), get the easiest degree, and then don'yt even make enough money to pay those loans back while concurrently paying for room and board and transportation (If they even find a job).  Then they wind up with bad credit and struggling the rest of their life.  A college degree is not the cure all, the appropiate degree is!  That is the difference between a having college parents and having non-college parents.

All JBrown sees in PA is the streets and that mantality.  He is blind to anything else and his parents mere words don't budge him or make him care about anything else.  Only foolish street kids think college is irrelevant, toughness is better intellegence, respect is better than education, and making babies is better than being a father.  I can see his parents TRIED... That is why they sent him to Kelly (hoping to take him out of the element), but he did not want to see or be part of anything else because all he knew his entire life is PA.

I am not saying that some kids don't get out...  But the majority don't!

I wasn't bashing the kid or his parents...  But it is one thing to try an get your kids to do something you have no idea about and having a kid that comes from a rich college background.  It's is difficult to teach your kids about something you weren't apart of.  Then he has PA pulling at his heels trying to drag him down.  I was commenting on his environment... 

Example... All the things my parents said to me about college was tottally irrelevant and untrue (because you can go to college and still be a bum, it depends on the degree)... I put research into finding out more and that is what pushed me to college. On the other hand I have a friend that is a 6th generation UT grad.  All that knowledge and experience is what he grew up seeing.  So he knew exactly what college had in store for him, and what majors paid good income).

Last example, my parents told me get a college degree and you will be successful, untrue.  Most Black /Low Income kids that go to college, use financial aide(loans), get the easiest degree, and then don'yt even make enough money to pay those loans back while concurrently paying for room and board and transportation (If they even find a job).  Then they wind up with bad credit and struggling the rest of their life.  A college degree is not the cure all, the appropiate degree is!  That is the difference between a having college parents and having non-college parents.

All JBrown sees in PA is the streets and that mantality.  He is blind to anything else and his parents mere words don't budge him or make him care about anything else.  Only foolish street kids think college is irrelevant, toughness is better intellegence, respect is better than education, and making babies is better than being a father.  I can see his parents TRIED... That is why they sent him to Kelly (hoping to take him out of the element), but he did not want to see or be part of anything else because all he knew his entire life is PA.

Okay, I am going to try and do my best DickVitale:  PREACH, SHORT, CHUUUUURCCHHH!!!!!!!

Nobody, and I mean nobody, can say it better than what shorttexas1 just posted. You da man Short!!

Okay, I am going to try and do my best DickVitale:  PREACH, SHORT, CHUUUUURCCHHH!!!!!!!

Nobody, and I mean nobody, can say it better than what shorttexas1 just posted. You da man Short!!

Thanks! man... You forgot to say, "Santuary, Tabernacle!!!"

[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=

I grew up in Houston's 5th Ward and my parents never told me about college because they never attended a college or university. Growing up I use to idolize the pimps because I liked the cars they rode in down Lyons Ave. But I also had people like Dickie Vitale's dad to balance out that wayward thinking. The coach's were from the same neighborhood I was from and I CHOSE to use them as my models. Whereas, some of my other friends decided on the street life. I agree, it's about choices and we have to be willing to pay the price for whatever choice we make in life or on the court.

well said short....!

I just don't like the jabs thrown his way.... a kid shouldn't have to read that.

Maybe the kid needs to read it!!! Wake the He!! up!  The world does not owe him a thing.  It is his responsability to make his mark on the world.  Either he wakes up and becomes a positive impact on society, or continue down the same path and become another kid with a world of potential who didn't use it; if for nothing else a free education.

well said short....!

I just don't like the jabs thrown his way.... a kid shouldn't have to read that.

Maybe the kid needs to read it!!! Wake the He!! up!  The world does not owe him a thing.  It is his responsability to make his mark on the world.  Either he wakes up and becomes a positive impact on society, or continue down the same path and become another kid with a world of potential who didn't use it; if for nothing else a free education.

True Dat Short! True Dat!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4