Dayton News - Dayton takes Lumberton to the woodshed with scrimmage

Dayton takes Lumberton to the woodshed with scrimmage

This is the hidden content, please

By MIKE GEORGE

Published: 08.26.08

The Dayton Broncos, due to some inclement rainy weather earlier in the week, wound up hosting Lumberton rather than traveling to the Golden Triangle but the outcome would not have mattered – the Raiders took a whipping.

“When we scrimmage, we try to beat you,†said head football coach Jerry Stewart. “If you and I are pitching horseshoes I’m going to try to beat you. Everybody tries to win and don’t let any of them tell you different because that’s a lie. The only time you don’t try to win is when you don’t.â€

QB Cody Green and A.J. Dugat took turns putting on a clinic for the visitors from Lumberton. On the Broncos’ second offensive series, Green called his own number, took off to his right, cut inside, cut outside and outran defenders for the 61-yard score. Dayton would then score on the next four possessions with Lumberton getting a score on their lone drive of the morning sandwiched in between. The score at the half was 35-7. The Broncos, off substitute quarterback Zach Crowder’s 65-yard pass completion and long run by Payton Ploch iced it for the home team.

Meanwhile, although the defense recorded 7 sacks, the Bronco boss was none to thrilled with execution on that side of the ball.

“We’re just not very good yet, defensively,†Stewart said. “I’d be the first one to tell you if we were, I think the strength of our team is the offense and our offensive line is doing really good.â€

One problem with the offense and it showed up quite a bit on Saturday was a series of high snaps, one of which resulted in a turnover.

“Right now Jeremy Baker, Caleb Lang and Jake (Clayton) Howard are going to determine which one is going to play center,†Stewart explained. “Jeremy blocks good, but he snaps too high. He tries hard and is a great kid. Caleb snaps good, but he doesn’t seem to know how to make every practice yet, and Jake Howard has been sick so that boy needs to drink some orange juice or something. Our guards are Anthony St. Julian and Aaron Ripkowski and they’ve done a great job. St. Julian will hurt you out there and Aaron is great for just a sophomore. The two tackles are Chance McCormack and Ray Samuels and those kids have done a really good job. So we feel pretty good about our line right now.â€

The Broncos don’t utilize a tight end, but have some receivers that are game breakers and name takers.

“Our receivers have all done well,†said the coach. “Damian Berotte, Terry Asson, Payton Ploch and A.J. Dugat have been great. Then ‘Smoky’ (Darius Detiege) and B.J. Jones are working at tailback, but of course Cody (Green) is pulling the trigger back there.â€

The coach went on to describe how his featured quarterback, the most fussed at player on the field due to the tremendous responsibilities placed on his big shoulders, handles the adversity of some coach getting into this face.

“Cody can take being gotten after by a coach,†said Stewart. “I wish all those kids who’ve recently quit over getting hollered at by some coach could listen and watch. Cody takes on more than anybody. We stay on him all the time because he’s got more responsibility than others, but then, he can take it. Then, like I said, we’ve got A.J. out there and I still believe nobody can touch him. And A.J. is his own worst enemy. Nobody else is going to do it to him. When he wants to, it’s going to get done. So we played them, Cody and A.J. for a half Saturday. The first time we had the ball we didn’t do anything, but from then on, we scored every time we had the ball on that bunch. We were really strumming offensively.â€

The coach described how Lumberton really didn't offer much of a challenge, but his main gripe against his own defensive squad is that none of them are running down hill. That’s a coaches expression for a defensive player coming in fast and hard on a play and delivering a lick to the opponent’s ball carrier, or anybody on the other team. He likes to hear a pop now and again and those are far and few between.

“Run down hill and hit somebody,†said the coach. “Hit something in an opposite colored jersey. We’re not hitting and we’re just not a very good defensive ball club right now.â€

The coach lamented that right now the thing that is holding the defense together and making them look good to the average fan sitting in the stands is the defensive front. That’s when he relaxed a bit a smiled.

“Our defensive front is the best thing we’ve got,†admitted Stewart. “That’s Tony Hill, Xavier Edwards and K.J. Barton. They’ve done the best job so far. Another kid, Darian Wright, a sophomore has come in and backed up at nose and did a real good job. N.L. Hines is one of the defensive linebackers that did a good job. In fact, we might have to pull Darian up from jayvee and put him up here with us. He did a really good job and I’m real pleased with him – great kid, he’s a great kid.â€

The coach bemoaned about how this team has to get better in the other positions because right now they’re just not very good.

“Come to think of it, Evan Brown had a good game playing 8-tech, so five kids on defense had a pretty decent scrimmage,†remembered the coach. “The rest of them, I thought, were average. And then we got a pretty good game by Cameron LaCour over there playing corner. They didn’t attack him much so he got in there and did what he was supposed to do.â€

Stewart went on to add that Terry Asson was being worked at safety and would only get better and better, but reiterated that this is just not a very good defensive team right now. He also bemoaned the fact that Green (Cody) wasn’t kicking the ball as well as he had been at the beginning that that was very disappointing. He also admitted that possibly he had been over-coached and they probably needed to leave him alone and let him kick. The coach also was disappointed in the consistency on punts and that his kicker just needed to have that job become more important to him.

“I tell him he’s going to live to be 112 because he never gets in a hurry,†said Stewart.

Feeling good, or not, it gets real this Friday night when an old nemeses, Bay City comes calling. The game is at Dayton with kickoff at 7 p.m. Bay City will run the Tyler John Tyler offense.â€

“It’s a power game,†explained Stewart. “A toss brings everybody up in the hole and you use your speed to get bounce out and outrun them. Defensively, Bay City returns 8-starters from last year, but that’s why you play those teams – to see what you’ve got.

Boy, You can tell that article was written by the hometown newpaper.    LOL  You can tell he knows which side of the bread to butter LOL.

Lumberton, is young and potentially a very good team.  I would predict at the end of the season that the Raiders will again swamp Dayton this season also.

Yes,  that article shows that Dayton's players, Coaches, or anyone out there that follow them do not respect Lumberton whatsoever.   I remember that Dayton's HC had a little smart remark a few years ago about playing in this district... :-\

i remember that, didnt he wanna appeal to the UIL?

Yes,  that article shows that Dayton's players, Coaches, or anyone out there that follow them do not respect Lumberton whatsoever.   I remember that Dayton's HC had a little smart remark a few years ago about playing in this district... :-\

i remember that, didnt he wanna appeal to the UIL?

he did... multiple reasons. I honestly do think it was mostly travel. Coach stewart was mostly aggravated with Galena park in that deal. He definitely doesn't try to make any friends in his interviews.

I Think they can't get over The district lost to Lumberton that meant something. So this is the only way they can get their fix on a win in a scrimmage. I feel sorry the people in Dayton, bronco1, and anybody else here from Dayton. They do have counselors or therapist for that matter to help you get over that hump in the road.

God Bless, and best of wishes,

My prayers are with you

I Think they can't get over The district lost to Lumberton that meant something. So this is the only way they can get their fix on a win in a scrimmage. I feel sorry the people in Dayton, bronco1, and anybody else here from Dayton. They do have counselors or therapist for that matter to help you get over that hump in the road.

My prayers are with you

maybe you can come counsel us.... I'll write you down for week 11. You oughta be free about 7:00 right?  :o

J/K  ;)

My prayers are with you

maybe you can come counsel us.... I'll write you down for week 11. You oughta be free about 7:00 right?  :o

J/K  ;)

Man don't get mad. I know the truth hurts. I'm sorry. Truely, I really feel bad for you guys.

My prayers are with you

Seems like someone upset you.  Keep up the hard work and just maybe you will hit over 100 posts in just under 2 years....People like you make me laugh.  Are you related to maverick24?

My prayers are with you

J/K  ;)

Well I said I wasn't going to post about Lumberton anymore but apparently goodsport is having a hard time with the lil'ol trash talkn'and they forgot to capitalize SCRIMMAGE!  There won't be a week 11 for Lumberton so I guess we can make a thread regarding who will make week 11 and who will not make week 11.  You Lumberton folk are just way too easy to get your feathers all ruffled, last year was a fluke deal with it, i'm over the loss to Lumberton, I just enjoy the trash talkn'. oooohh touchn'that nerve again am I?

My prayers are with you

Yeah I think that freshman status is getn'to him or could it be the L-trolley status maybe........ ;D

Seems like someone upset you.  Keep up the hard work and just maybe you will hit over 100 posts in just under 2 years....People like you make me laugh.  Are you related to maverick24?

Believe it or not, I posted that article just to kick the old ant bed.  ;D

Personal observation:

Last Saturday Coach Stewart and Coach Creduer spent at least 20 minutes talking before the scrimmage. Then they moved their conversation over to where the officals were seated and began to talk to the officals. In total they talked between 20 -30 minutes.

I am sure in that time span each coach expressed to the other their intentions for the scrimmage. IMO

It was just a scrimmage, this time next week it probably will be forgotten.

And yes, it did suck losing to Lumberton and I still don't like it, that scrimmage in no way could repair the empty void in my Bronco heart. Hopefully we can meet in the playoffs and then perhaps I could be on my emotional road to recovery.  :)

This needs be posted in Central's and Ozen's field house/dressing rooms:

The coach described how Lumberton really didn't offer much of a challenge, but his main gripe against his own defensive squad is that none of them are running down hill.

Damn Coach, tell us how you really feel about the De-railed L-Train lol

Believe it or not, I am posting that article just to kick the old ant bed.

;D

This is the hidden content, please

Lumberton Stuns Dayton

What a way to start district play.

Lumberton scored with 14 seconds to play and then added a do-or-die two-point conversion to hand Dayton an 8-7 loss in Friday night’s Distict 22-4A opener.

Dayton, the defending district champ, beat Lumberton 55-0 a year ago en route to a perfect record in district.

Lumberton, 4-0, which averaged 44 points a game to start the season, didn’t dent the Bronco goal line until Raider quarterback Bryce DeJohn scored from a yard out with just 14 ticks remaining.

Second-year head coach Alvin Credeur went for the game-winning two-pointer and saw his son Aaron on the receiving end of the DeJohn pass for the game winner.

Dayton dropped to 1-3 on the season.

Once again, the Dayton defense played well by forcing four Raider turnovers but the offense could not take advantage.

Late in the third quarter, the Broncos had the games deepest penetration by moving down to the Lumberton 17-yard line before turning it over to the Raiders.

After both teams traded punts, it was the special teams of the Broncos that penned Lumberton deep in its end as Jeffrey Summers’ punt was downed at the Raider 7-yard line.

A few plays later, it was the Bronco defense recovering a Raider fumble at the Lumberton 23-yard line. A.J. Dugat scored two plays after that from 16 yards out on the option keeper to make it 6-0 Dayton. Ronnie Powell then booted the PAT kick with 7:24 remaining in the contest.

Again the defense was strong and forced Lumberton to give the ball back but the Bronco offense could not run out the clock and was forced to punt.

Taking over at their own 38-yard line with 1:51 remaining, the Raiders drove 62 yards on 14 plays for the game winner.

A couple of big plays happened on the drive as Dayton was called for a questionable holding penalty as Lumberton was facing a fourth-and-15 from the Bronco 33-yard line. That gave the offense an automatic first down.

Then DeJohn made perhaps the play of the game on a fourth-and-15 from the Bronco 30-yard line. Avoiding two would be Bronco tacklers, he hit Jacob Hanna for a 17-yard pass play to keep the drive alive. Four plays later, DeJohn went in from a yard out to set up the game winning conversion.

Dayton did have one last hope as Dugat hit Powell for a 35-yard pass play down to the Lumberton 23-yard line with 1 second to go. Dugat was hit while trying to throw again, ending the Broncos’ hope.

The Broncos finished the game with 277 yards of total offense as Dugat finished 15 of 25 passing for 173 yards. Powell led all receivers with a game-high eight catches for 99 yards.

Next Friday, Dayton returns home to face Beaumont Ozen, a 21-19 loser to Port Neches-Groves in its league opener.

Dayton even wore their real jerseys for the scrimmage.  That just shows how serious they took it.  They even had a pep rally before the game and a city parade afterwards. 

Sorry but that wasn't just for the Raiders, they always wear their best. Ask WOS, same thing when we scrimmaged them. Oh yeah, how come nobody told me about the pep rally, but the parade was just the Lumberton fans leaving town screaming," it was only a scrimmage".

This thread needs to be TERMINATED!

This was a SCRIMMAGE!

Both teams need to be focused on the games ahead!

Good luck to Lumberton...

Hopefully, and I do mean hopefully...

In the first round of the playoffs we can make an appointment.

Dayton will be there, how about the Raiders?

Good luck this week, to BOTH teams!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo