Mustangs Await "Royal" Test

Mustangs await "Royal" test

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — The West Orange-Stark Mustangs are rolling.

You would certainly think that, after all because the Mustangs have vaulted from No. 7 to No. 3 in the Class 3A state poll in three weeks. Not bad at all, considering the Mustangs have not played in three weeks due to Hurricane Ike.

“Isn’t that the weirdest thing you’ve ever heard up,†said long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “People have been dropping games that were in front of us, many of them surprises. The kids are loving it.â€

The Mustangs (2-0) return to action Friday night in their final non-district tuneup when they play host to the Brookshire-Royal Falcons (2-2).

“We’ve had a chance to see Brookshire live twice and they’re pretty darn good,†said Hooks. “Their two losses came at the hands of Sealy and Bellville, two very outstanding programs. They beat Bryan-Rudder and Hempstead.â€

Hooks likes what the Falcons have on both sides of the ball.

“Their quarterback is what makes them go,†said Hooks. “They don’t like to run much. They spread you out and like to throw the ball. The quarterback is capable of breaking some big runs. Defensively, they like to apply a lot of pressure and come at you with blitz packages, much like what Newton likes to do. It’ll be a good challenge for our kids.â€

The Mustangs will open up defense of their District 21-3A crown Oct. 10 when they play host to the Silsbee Tigers. The Mustangs have won four straight district titles and also have a 24-game district winning streak.

The Mustang players have been performing well in practice, even after all of the Ike trauma.

“The kids are hungry to go out there and play a game,†said Hooks. “It’s been so long. Three weeks, it almost seems like a year ago. We’ve got eight kids that are no longer in their homes but they’re out there battling. After about three days of practice, the kids starting looking real good again. Conditioning was tough early but heck, our defense is hitting harder and flying to the ball quicker then before the storm.â€

The Mustangs were a “storm†in their first two games of the season whipping up on Class 4A programs Nederland (33-13) and Little Cypress-Mauriceville (48-7).

The Mustang defensive unit, led by the likes of Kevin Robinson (21 tackles) and Josh Lynch (17 tackles) are allowing just a mere 155 yards a contest.

Meanwhile, the offense has piled up big numbers, pumping out 420 yards per contest.

Senior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite has completed 13-of-21 passes for 269 yards and three touchdowns. He’s also rushed for 162 yards and two TDs on 18 carries.

Senior tailback Quintavious Garrett has dashed for 356 yards and five TDs on just 35 totes. Trey Franks (five catches, 121 yards, 1 TD) and Josh Gloston (five catches, 106 yards, 1 TD) lead a sound group of receivers.

“Hopefully the kids will dig down deep and find that great momentum we had before the storm Hooks said. “I know one thing, they’re ready to play some football. Friday night can’t get here fast enough.â€

Newton has never beaten us and I stated once before that they have never scored on us but I was incorrect.  The correct statement is that their OFFENSE has never scored on us.  I think they had a field goal or two and their defense scored once.  I do remember though, they were always tough.  Seemed like they were so big!!!!!

I'm thinking that there is a mutual respect! ;D

Yeah there is, but with the way he talks why would there be.  If he coached the Mustangs, would he say "We are going to beat Newton so bad.  They ain't worth shit.  They've never beaten us.  Hell they can't score on us."  I really had no idea that this existed.  I've always been around Coach Hooks' ways so I figured good teams always acted this way towards others.  Oh well.

I don't think Coach Barbay means to hurt anyones feelings he is just being honest and remember these are things he is telling his team. That being said I'm not real sure he gives a $hit if he hurts anyones feelings. Sorry I had to say it like Coach Barbay would have said it.  ;)

I only know a couple of people that have played for him but they love him like a father. I've heard stories of the links he goes to to help kids and it's amazing. He really does care about the kids. I think he could be mayer of Newton, maybe even the King of Newton  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats