PERRYN KEYS: Ike roughed up Montagne, but humans will take care of Higgins

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Some highlights from the article:

While Woodard's staff will be busy recruiting players in the next two years, Cardinal Stadium will undergo an extra-large overhaul, with a price tag in the tens of millions.

Even before that, Higgins Field House will vanish.

Its ultra-modern, monster-sized replacement will be a testament to how much college football has changed since Lamar killed its program in 1989. Among other things, the new building will include a 5,000-square-foot weight room; a 4,000-square-foot training facility; an academic room; a giant football team meeting room; meeting rooms for players at each position; and, of course, coaches' offices, which overlook Cardinal Stadium from the south end of the field.

There could be more, too. Woodard said luxury suites - an optional addition since the early planning phase of football's return - also might be a part of the new facility.

"I don't know about the suites right now," Woodard said. "That is not off the table; I'll say that. I know (athletics director) Billy Tubbs and (president) Jimmy Simmons are working hard at that and looking into it. ... Now that's a frill. But it's definitely not off the table. It's been discussed more than once."

The NCAA prohibits coaches from speaking about specific recruits, and Woodard won't say how many athletes have scholarship offers from Lamar at the moment.

Woodard will say this much, however: His staff have evaluated all of the Golden Triangle and three-fourths of Houston.

"The offers are out there. We've offered enough young men," Woodard said.

"I know you can look at it one way and say ... it'd be no fun to come here and sit for a year until we start playing (in 2010). But we say this: Come on in and we'll get you an extra year toward your college degree. I can point to any number of young men who go four years to a school and don't get finished."

Link: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/perryn_keys__ike_roughed_up_montagne__but_humans_will_take_care_of_higgins_10-05-2008.html

Guest abovetherim

Has RW said how many players he'd like to sign this year (2009) compared to 2010?

Why? First of all, the clock is ticking. Sure, there won't be an actual game for two more years. But Woodard is recruiting players now. He plans to sign 30 or so athletes in February - and when they report for the fall 2009 semester, they need the new field house to be ready.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/perryn_keys__ike_roughed_up_montagne__but_humans_will_take_care_of_higgins_10-05-2008.html

Guest coachacola

and, of course, coaches' offices, which overlook Cardinal Stadium from the south end of the field.

This statement rules out any bowl configuration in the case there is every an expansion....

That's not entirely true.  Unless the athletic complex is right on top of the end zone then there is room for seats.  There's quite a few FBS stadiums that are either bowls or horseshoes with maybe 4000 or 5000 seats in the end zones.  LU could squeeze around 4000 seats in front of the Montagne right now.  Add another 4000 seats in the south end zone and capacity is now at 25K (and the stadium isn't even a bowl yet).  If they extend the stands to meet the end zone seats that would add another 5000 or more seats and you have a 30K+ bowl stadium.

Cardinal Stadium was designed to be a bowl, but that doesn't mean it has to be a perfectly shaped bowl.  I bet both the Montagne Center and the new athletic complex will be tied into Cardinal Stadium so it's almost like one big complex.

and, of course, coaches' offices, which overlook Cardinal Stadium from the south end of the field.

This statement rules out any bowl configuration in the case there is every an expansion....

That's not entirely true.  Unless the athletic complex is right on top of the end zone then there is room for seats.  There's quite a few FBS stadiums that are either bowls or horseshoes with maybe 4000 or 5000 seats in the end zones.  LU could squeeze around 4000 seats in front of the Montagne right now.  Add another 4000 seats in the south end zone and capacity is now at 25K (and the stadium isn't even a bowl yet).  If they extend the stands to meet the end zone seats that would add another 5000 or more seats and you have a 30K+ bowl stadium.

Cardinal Stadium was designed to be a bowl, but that doesn't mean it has to be a perfectly shaped bowl.  I bet both the Montagne Center and the new athletic complex will be tied into Cardinal Stadium so it's almost like one big complex.

How much would it cost to bowl 4,000 seats in front of the Montagne?  That would create a killer situation for LU and hell for opposing teams.

How much would it cost to fully bowl the south end?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43

• Bye Week beat Beaumont United by double digits so not all is bad 😁
    • He made the comment as a business man he hated overtime. He never said or implied he wanted to do away with it. He has said overtime should not be taxed. That will benefit the refinery workers in our area big time…..as well as nurses. Not only would you not pay taxes and see the benefit immediately on your paycheck, my guess that at the end of the year, you would subtract all the overtime from your total wages, thus lowering your taxable imcome.
    • Well I thought it would be a better matchup for us more so than us versus yall and we got whooped 🤷🏾‍♂️ we'll see, long time before Ball High meets Lufkin though. 
    • Very critical win for Crosby last night. At no point has the current regime given me any reason to think Crosby should be able to pencil in wins but for the sake of discussion I will for FB Kempner who we play two weeks from now and also Porter who we play a couple of weeks after that. That means if Crosby can beat Kingwood Park next week we’ll most likely finish district play 5-2 and in at least 3rd place.    That being, the team could be a lot better if we had a competent offensive coach. Crosby’s offensive philosophy is to give it to Yarbrough and hope he breaks it which is why we lose to team with above average defensive talent. Crosby’s TE Landen Hammer is 6’2” and about 210lbs with crazy ball skills, an absolute mismatch problem and got one target last night. Friendswood realized Crosby had some playmakers on the edges and lots of times gave the receivers a 10 yard cushion. The problem is that Willis doesn’t know that so not once did we just raise up, throw it out to the receiver and give them an opportunity to be an athlete and make a play. So now that we’ve averaged 8 completions per game through our first four contest because 50% of the time Willis chooses to swap out 50% of the offense we look like we “don’t have the receiving talent that we used to.” Yarbrough probably had close to 300 rushing yards last night but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 35 carries. I like our backup RB but there are several kids who could help Crosby more at that position and Willis chooses not to play them there and feed Yarbrough to the point he couldn’t even finish the game last night. He continues to display an inability to efficiently use his personnel which is why we get blow out by any team with at least equal talent. Maybe something changes but Willis being 6-19 his last two and a half years on the sideline and his inability to shake the Cedar Park model don’t give much hope, which is unfortunate for the kids. 
    • Big girl is trying to make Oprah sound like Bam Morris, who was busted with 220# of weed in the trunk of his car. When the cops opened the truck and found the weed, Bam said,”That’s not mine”. Give me a break.
  • Topics