STJFL...Its impact!!!

Guest LR1969

As one who has never been a big fan of Youth Football, I hate to admit that the STJFL has probably played a big role in the current state of HS football in Southeast Texas....As stated already, I'm not a big fan of youth football. I'm not sure that kids under the age of 12 should be playing contact sports (before you attack me on that...the NFL agrees with me and that is why they promote their own NFL Flag leagues) and I really can't stand most of what I see on the sidelines (from the parents/not the kids!). However, as I mentioned on another post, I recall a former LC-M coach explaining to me (several years ago when LC-M was kicking butt) that youth football played a big role in LC-M's success due to a strict adherence to instilling the Wishbone in the future Battlin' Bears at a young age. Apparently, the success the Bears had with the Wishbone, was directly related to the fact that these kids had been running it since the day they stepped onto the field. It was groomed and nurtured through youth ball, junior high and high school.

I also know that many current Raiders grew up in the STJFL and that probably has something to do with the "newfound" success of the Lumberton football program. Just wondering what others may have to say on the subject...And, I realize their is a section for the STJFL on the boards but I felt this was a good topic for here..

By the way...I did play youth football (1 year) in the Vidor Junior Football League...Go Eagles (ha)...Had to love Haley Field...wasn't it just 80 yards?

Guest Brubaker

Here's my take.  Football is about athletes, so to play it, you simply need to be an athlete.  It's not like baseball, where you have a specific skill (hitting/pitching/... the list goes on), you simply need to be tough and have athletic ability.  Youth football doesn't teach kids to be tough, they either are or they aren't.  I've seen LOTS of tough kids that didn't play a down of football until 8th grade and were absolute studs.  My opinion is, what you need to develop before 8th grade is being an athlete, you don't need youth football for that.

All that said, I don't have an issue with youth football, I just don't think it "creates" high school football players.  Players will be players whether they play youth football, soccer, fall baseball... etc. It has more to do with the kids athletic ability coupled with desire and toughness.

Although  that is true the kids that do play are light years ahead of the ones who don't when they get to middle school.

I disagree with the light years comment. A lot of the kids that play prior to middle school come in with bad habits or improper techniques that have to be fixed by the middle school coaching staff. The reason why is in many cases the youth football teams are coached by armchair QBs that may or may not know what they are doing and how to teach technique.

In my opinion most of the junior high coaches couldn't put air in the football, much less coach a team.  You are right some youth coaches don't do it all right but a lot of jr high coaches don't either and they get paid to screw it up.

The kids that came out of a good youth program are light years ahead

In my experience as a youth football player, Ex. Jr. High coach, Ex. Varsity coach, and now STJFL coach...I would agree that some positions DO favor playing youth football. But the youth programs that focus on winning and not technique or similar plays, formations, and terminology of the Jr. High or High School do cause a problem. You have to undo and reteach.

With that being said, there are some Jr. Highs that don't even run what the High Schools run. Usually programs that are not as good. So I do see both sides.

If this kids that are playing now continue playing together until HS they will be excellent, already they dont have to talk to one another just look at each other and know what the othe ris gonna do. as one poster said light years ahead as far as ball disipline and skills, yes being big helps but its not everything

An STJFL player can just look at another one and they know what the other one is going to do????

Do they teach mental telapathy down there or something?

You take a non-athlete and have him play 8 years of Jr. football (because his parents want him to) and compare him to a natural athlete, I believe the natural athlete will play. JMO

An STJFL player can just look at another one and they know what the other one is going to do????

You take a non-athlete and have him play 8 years of Jr. football (because his parents want him to) and compare him to a natural athlete, I believe the natural athlete will play. JMO

By the same token, you take two natural athletes in the 7th grade.  One has played years of youth league football and one has never played anything but sandlot ball.  Which is more likely to be the better player?

The bottom line is that like any other sport or game of skill players benefit from coaching, practice, and experience, all thing being equal.

Youth league football absolutely has an impact but in most cases it is probably overstated. 

As one who has never been a big fan of Youth Football, I hate to admit that the STJFL has probably played a big role in the current state of HS football in Southeast Texas....As stated already, I'm not a big fan of youth football. I'm not sure that kids under the age of 12 should be playing contact sports (before you attack me on that...the NFL agrees with me and that is why they promote their own NFL Flag leagues) and I really can't stand most of what I see on the sidelines (from the parents/not the kids!). However, as I mentioned on another post, I recall a former LC-M coach explaining to me (several years ago when LC-M was kicking butt) that youth football played a big role in LC-M's success due to a strict adherence to instilling the Wishbone in the future Battlin' Bears at a young age. Apparently, the success the Bears had with the Wishbone, was directly related to the fact that these kids had been running it since the day they stepped onto the field. It was groomed and nurtured through youth ball, junior high and high school.

I also know that many current Raiders grew up in the STJFL and that probably has something to do with the "newfound" success of the Lumberton football program. Just wondering what others may have to say on the subject...And, I realize their is a section for the STJFL on the boards but I felt this was a good topic for here..

By the way...I did play youth football (1 year) in the Vidor Junior Football League...Go Eagles (ha)...Had to love Haley Field...wasn't it just 80 yards?

Assuming you are from Lumberton. This is an interesting topic. Lumberton runs an offense In STJFL that is only for youth football. It works and they have alot of success with it so please understand that I'm not putting it down. I just have never understood how that helps them later in football. Like you said running the same offense that your high school runs seems like it would help.

Assuming you are from Lumberton

[/quote

No almost all these kids have been playing together fo at least 4-5 years enought to know what the other player is gonna do and now it has alot to do with coaching and confidence in your fellow player]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43

• Bye Week beat Beaumont United by double digits so not all is bad 😁
    • He made the comment as a business man he hated overtime. He never said or implied he wanted to do away with it. He has said overtime should not be taxed. That will benefit the refinery workers in our area big time…..as well as nurses. Not only would you not pay taxes and see the benefit immediately on your paycheck, my guess that at the end of the year, you would subtract all the overtime from your total wages, thus lowering your taxable imcome.
    • Well I thought it would be a better matchup for us more so than us versus yall and we got whooped 🤷🏾‍♂️ we'll see, long time before Ball High meets Lufkin though. 
    • Very critical win for Crosby last night. At no point has the current regime given me any reason to think Crosby should be able to pencil in wins but for the sake of discussion I will for FB Kempner who we play two weeks from now and also Porter who we play a couple of weeks after that. That means if Crosby can beat Kingwood Park next week we’ll most likely finish district play 5-2 and in at least 3rd place.    That being, the team could be a lot better if we had a competent offensive coach. Crosby’s offensive philosophy is to give it to Yarbrough and hope he breaks it which is why we lose to team with above average defensive talent. Crosby’s TE Landen Hammer is 6’2” and about 210lbs with crazy ball skills, an absolute mismatch problem and got one target last night. Friendswood realized Crosby had some playmakers on the edges and lots of times gave the receivers a 10 yard cushion. The problem is that Willis doesn’t know that so not once did we just raise up, throw it out to the receiver and give them an opportunity to be an athlete and make a play. So now that we’ve averaged 8 completions per game through our first four contest because 50% of the time Willis chooses to swap out 50% of the offense we look like we “don’t have the receiving talent that we used to.” Yarbrough probably had close to 300 rushing yards last night but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 35 carries. I like our backup RB but there are several kids who could help Crosby more at that position and Willis chooses not to play them there and feed Yarbrough to the point he couldn’t even finish the game last night. He continues to display an inability to efficiently use his personnel which is why we get blow out by any team with at least equal talent. Maybe something changes but Willis being 6-19 his last two and a half years on the sideline and his inability to shake the Cedar Park model don’t give much hope, which is unfortunate for the kids. 
    • Big girl is trying to make Oprah sound like Bam Morris, who was busted with 220# of weed in the trunk of his car. When the cops opened the truck and found the weed, Bam said,”That’s not mine”. Give me a break.
  • Topics