Pirates, Indians face must-win game

Pirates, Indians face must-win game

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — In what has been a whacky start to the District 20-4A season, both Vidor and Port Neches-Groves will seek a much-needed victory tonight at Pirate Stadium to stay in the thick of the race.

Both teams check in with 3-2 overall marks but each are at 1-2 in 20-4A play. One more loss could spell trouble for either squad.

“I’m not saying three losses in district will keep you out of the playoffs, but that would be a hard hill to climb,†said Pirate head coach Jeff Mathews. “Both us and PN-G are really in must-win situations this week. Neither one of us can afford digging a deeper hole. This district is so darn comptitive, anything can happen.â€

The Pirates found themselves hampered with turnovers again last week when they fell to Beaumont Ozen 21-14.

“In our two district losses, we’ve coughed up the ball eight times and we still had opportunities to win both,†said Mathews. “That’s when it really hurts because we know we’ve kinda stopped ourselves. We’ve thrown away a bunch of scoring opportunities. The kids feel they can move the ball on anybody. We’ve really been harping on hanging on to the football in practice.â€

The Indians have dropped two straight encounters, including a devastating 34-14 home loss to Livingston last week.

“PN-G has been snakebit with turnovers too,†explained Mathews. “They gave up four turnovers to Livingston last week and two of them went back for touchdowns. Turnovers can kill you.â€

The Pirates have been piling up the yards on offense, mainly on the ground, averaging 342 yards a contest. The defense has been outstanding, allowing just 221.4 yards a game, second best in 20-4A behind Lumberton. However, turnovers have stopped a slew of Pirate drives, especially in opposing territory.

The Indians are pumping out 344.8 yards a contest while their defense is yielding 288.

PN-G has a very versatile attack.

Quarterback Harrison Tatum has completed 52-of-91 passes for 704 yards and six touchdowns with his favorite receivers being Spencer DeRon (15-284-4) and Kyler Segura (15-240-1).

“The Indians can do multiple things, both in their passing game and running game,†said Mathews. “Their quarterback is sound and makes good decisions.â€

The Indian running game is sound. Josh Wright paves the way with 513 yards and six TDs on 87 carries while Caleb Harmon has 431 yards and four TDs on 69 totes.

“Every year Coach (Matt) Burnett seems to have two good running backs,†said Mathews. “He’ll graduate two and then two more pop up. That Wright kid is a tough, physical runner and Harmon has some moves. They’ll be a chore for our defense.â€

The Pirates have a nice three-headed monster in their backfield.

Bruising fullback Theron Reynolds leads the arsenal with 529 yards and three TDs on 73 carries. Tailback Shane Pittman has 334 yards on just 30 touches while Jacob Peevey has zipped for 280 yards and two TDs on 38 carries.

The Pirates will need little motivation for this one.

“Pirate Stadium will be a packed house, one side wearing black and the other full of purple,†said Mathews. “This game has a lot riding on it so the atmosphere will be awesome.â€

The Pirates will hit the short road next week, traveling to Little Cypress-Mauriceville while the Indians will play host to Lumberton.

I going to stay at home just to listen to "BUTTERMAKER". Why would anybody wanna go watch it when they can sit home and listen to the VIDOR LEGEND  ;D ;D ;D

HAHAHAHA A legend in his own mind maybe... I don't know if we call him "Buttermaker" or "Gimp" or "Hopalong" maybe we just won't call him.... yeah that's the ticket!!!!!  :o :o ;D :D;):)  ;D ::) ::) ::)

I going to stay at home just to listen to "BUTTERMAKER". Why would anybody wanna go watch it when they can sit home and listen to the VIDOR LEGEND  ;D ;D ;D

Hey I listened to him last week and you know how every announcer has a catch phrase like "Boy Howdy" or "Holy Cow"....His was "uuuh"

now thats funny

Man I tell you ..You guys really know how to build a guys confidence up..

;D

Oh yeah, good luck and don't be nervous tonight. Seriously don't worry about saying "uuuhhh" too many times.  :D  ;D

Note to self...........Be careful who you tell, when you will be on the air.

Man I tell you ..You guys really know how to build a guys confidence up..

;D

Oh yeah, good luck and don't be nervous tonight. Seriously don't worry about saying "uuuhhh" too many times.  :D  ;D

Note to self...........Be careful who you tell, when you will be on the air.

I am already kicking myself in the butt..thank goodness we don't take call-ins..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats