Leader welcomes new editor Pruett

Leader welcomes new editor Pruett

Tommy Mann, Jr.

The Orange Leader

Time and hard work pay off as Gabriel Pruett can attest after being announced as the new managing editor of the Orange Leader on Tuesday.

Pruett, 28, has been in the newspaper industry for more than six years beginning with a two year stint as a general news reporter at the Port Arthur News.

He had long expressed an interest in covering sports, and made the switch more than four years ago to the Orange Leader sports department as a rep-orter under Van Wade, sports editor.

Pruett assu-med the interim editor position in late July and proved himself to be a valuable asset and true leader in the short time that followed.

“Over recent weeks, Gabe Pruett has proven through the great turmoil of Hurricane Ike that he can lead our editorial team and produce a good product,†said Eric Bauer, publisher of the Orange Leader. “Working in Port Arthur under Editor Roger Cowles and with Van Wade, Orange Leader Sports Editor, he has earned their respect and that of the staff.â€

Through the glancing blow of Hurricane Gustav to the devastating punch of Hurricane Ike, Pruett led employees, gathered story information and provided multiple online updates to keep Orange County residents informed while evacuated from their homes.

Pruett said the past three months as interim editor have been challenging, yet very fulfilling, and have prepared him for the role of editor.

“I have enjoyed every moment working in the sports department and getting to know such great coaches and athletes,†Pruett said. “Orange Leader Sports Editor Van Wade is not only a great man to work for, but a true friend. I know if I ever need advice, he is the first person I will look to for it.

“The Leader has a great opportunity to remain as the leading source of news for Orange County, and I intend to make sure we stay there,†Pruett added. “We have a small staff, but, together, we proved so much over the last month. Now, I hope to motivate and lead our team into the future and to not slow down one bit.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4