SLC Football

UNLV

Guest coachacola

Todd Dodge and UNT is losing again....0-7 going to 0-8...

Maybe UNT needs to drop down a level too.  ;D  Maybe they'll get it turned around soon.  Anyone know how many years Todd Dodge has left on his contract?  They must be losing patience with him because he doesn't seem to be making progress.

Texas State blew out SFA 63 to 21, I think.  Their football team is a lot like their basketball team, all offense and not much defense.

SHSU lost again. SHSU and Nicholls st maybe need to drop down a level. Being winless in the SLC is sad....

Nicholls beat McNeese. How is that being winless? SHSU has two playoff visits since 2001. How many other teams in the league can stake to that claim? Just McNeese State, if I am not mistaken.

Still, SFA is better than SHSU at football this year.  :D

SHSU has dominated the rivalry as of late. They play this weekend. The only SFA win in the last seven years was on a fluke 50 yard FG by a kicker who shanked twice from about 25 out earlier in the game. Our head coach is 3-0 against the Jacks. Best part of this rivalry is that you can throw out Ws and Ls, it's been one of the better rivalry games (for the most part) in the league with some exciting finishes (that aforementioned 50 yarder, a blocked FG one year by the Kats and many other late-game heroics). They also play for hardware, one of only three games in the SLC to do that -- Battle for the Paddle (Nich vs TXST) and Chief Caddo (NWST vs SFA)...

Still, SFA is better than SHSU at football this year.  :D

SHSU has dominated the rivalry as of late. They play this weekend. The only SFA win in the last seven years was on a fluke 50 yard FG by a kicker who shanked twice from about 25 out earlier in the game. Our head coach is 3-0 against the Jacks. Best part of this rivalry is that you can throw out Ws and Ls, it's been one of the better rivalry games (for the most part) in the league with some exciting finishes (that aforementioned 50 yarder, a blocked FG one year by the Kats and many other late-game heroics). They also play for hardware, one of only three games in the SLC to do that -- Battle for the Paddle (Nich vs TXST) and Chief Caddo (NWST vs SFA)...

Ok, I don't care what has happened as of late, I just said the jacks are having a better year so far, you don't have to type that bullcrap no one cares about, it's basically like making excuses.

Ok, I don't care what has happened as of late, I just said the jacks are having a better year so far, you don't have to type that bullcrap no one cares about, it's basically like making excuses.

Yep -- you don't know what being at a football school in the SLC is like. Young one, you have much to learn, though it may be awhile until LU develops a rivalry with anyone, especially with your FBS aspirations...fans on both sides of the Piney Woods rivalry will tell you that records mean crap. We've seen top 15 ranked SFA teams fall to unranked SHSU teams and vice-versa. We've seen it all. Our gray hairs could tell you a thing or few about the rivalry...

Terror, SHSU is bringing the SLC to a level never seen. Lamar will do better the first year versus what SHSU is doing now. All I'm saying is SHSU needs to get its act together or move down where they can better compete..

You guys do not have one single player and you are saying that? Can't wait to see Woodard start talking about nationally ranked FCS recruiting classes and tough schedules. I have a feeling, based on what I've been told about him -- that he'll replace Scott Stoker in several regards... ;)

SHSU needs to get our act together? We've had two consecutive second-place finishes. We've been to the playoffs twice since 2001. We've had results including a national semifinal appearance (2004) in our recent history. This is not like Lamar, where all the talk is still about the NCAA tournament appearances in the 1980s. Our history is recent and even the young folk who were actually around to see it...unlike Lamar, where none of your traditional students were even born when LU was having success in the postseason in your "Bread and Butter" sport...

Yep -- you don't know what being at a football school in the SLC is like. Young one, you have much to learn, though it may be awhile until LU develops a rivalry with anyone, especially with your FBS aspirations...fans on both sides of the Piney Woods rivalry will tell you that records mean crap. We've seen top 15 ranked SFA teams fall to unranked SHSU teams and vice-versa. We've seen it all. Our gray hairs could tell you a thing or few about the rivalry...

Terror, SHSU is bringing the SLC to a level never seen. Lamar will do better the first year versus what SHSU is doing now. All I'm saying is SHSU needs to get its act together or move down where they can better compete..

You guys do not have one single player and you are saying that? Can't wait to see Woodard start talking about nationally ranked FCS recruiting classes and tough schedules. I have a feeling, based on what I've been told about him -- that he'll replace Scott Stoker in several regards... ;)

SHSU needs to get our act together? We've had two consecutive second-place finishes. We've been to the playoffs twice since 2001. We've had results including a national semifinal appearance (2004) in our recent history. This is not like Lamar, where all the talk is still about the NCAA tournament appearances in the 1980s. Our history is recent and even the young folk who were actually around to see it...unlike Lamar, where none of your traditional students were even born when LU was having success in the postseason in your "Bread and Butter" sport...

The past is not helping the SLC today. SHSU is winless in the lowly SLC. WINLESS!!!!! El ZERO.

SHSU is the reason this conference gets no respect in football. Maybe the Lone Star conference is a better fit for SHSU...

Here is some recent success or lack thereof for your SHSU Babycats!!!!!!!

Florida Gators 85

SHSU Babycats 55

2003 NCAA 1st Round

Babycats winless in the NCAA Tournament!!!!!!!!!

Go Gators!!!!!!!

Fun times in Tampa! Yep, we were in the NCAAs in Lamar's "bread and butter" sport more recently than your own Cards. Of course, really can't say too much about your winning in SHSU's "bread and butter" sport...perhaps soon enough.  ;)

The past is not helping the SLC today. SHSU is winless in the lowly SLC. WINLESS!!!!! El ZERO. SHSU is the reason this conference gets no respect in football. Maybe the Lone Star conference is a better fit for SHSU...

UNLV...oh, football master and Einstein...let's all bow down at your feet!  ::)

Can you please tell me the GPI of the SLC? You need to stick to your fBS and leave the FCS alone. You are obviously a confused fan (see the name) and confusion reigns supreme in FBS, where no national champion is declared by the NCAA...

Here is some recent success or lack thereof for your SHSU Babycats!!!!!!!

Florida Gators 85

SHSU Babycats 55

2003 NCAA 1st Round

Babycats winless in the NCAA Tournament!!!!!!!!!

Go Gators!!!!!!!

Fun times in Tampa! Yep, we were in the NCAAs in Lamar's "bread and butter" sport more recently than your own Cards. Of course, really can't say too much about your winning in SHSU's "bread and butter" sport...perhaps soon enough.  ;)

The past is not helping the SLC today. SHSU is winless in the lowly SLC. WINLESS!!!!! El ZERO. SHSU is the reason this conference gets no respect in football. Maybe the Lone Star conference is a better fit for SHSU...

UNLV...oh, football master and Einstein...let's all bow down at your feet!  ::)

Can you please tell me the GPI of the SLC? You need to stick to your fBS and leave the FCS alone. You are obviously a confused fan (see the name) and confusion reigns supreme in FBS, where no national champion is declared by the NCAA...

This is not about me. This is about the cellar dwellers SHSU bringing down the SLC. Lamar needs out of the SLC before SHSU drag us down too.

The SLC sucks flat out. I would rather be in any FBS conference than the SLC. So what the FBS does not have a true nation champion, they have all the big named schools.... I have been a fan of many D1AA schools. I grew up watching Montana and Boise State.... I think that Lamar needs to make the move like Boise... I remember that when BSU was in the Big Sky conference they were not that great. Montana like Lamar should move up to the FBS. When I think of an FBS school that is equal to SHSU I think of Idaho Vandals.

One last thing, when Bob Marlin gets a better job offer he will leave SHSU and you will go back to your old crappy ways.

Guest coachacola

Looking at the history of the I-AA (FCS) championship games, only NE Louisiana (now ULM) has won a championship from the SLC, and that was way back in 1987.  McNeese has made it to the championship game a few times (last time was 2002), and SFA way back in 1989.  Since the SLC is suppose to be a so-called football conference, they sure don't compete well against the other conferences.  McNeese went undefeated in the SLC last year and got blown out in the first round of the playoffs, at home.  This year UCA is doing quite well and is one of the favorites to win the conference and they are still in transition from D2.

UTSA and Texas State know that the SLC is a dead end conference and will leave soon.  And I bet that Tubbs and Simmons both know it was a big mistake when the previous "leaders" of LU opted to return to the SLC.  Lamar is still a basketball school in a conference where most schools don't even draw 2K per game.  And as a football conference it's mediocre at best.

Lamar will be in a FBS conference in the future, otherwise it doesn't make sense for Lamar to invest in all these upgrades for the athletic programs.  It won't happen tomorrow, but probably around 2012 I see LU making the move out of the SLC.

Montana like Lamar should move up to the FBS. When I think of an FBS school that is equal to SHSU I think of Idaho Vandals.

Montana does not want to go to the WAC. They've discussed it and they like being what they are and quite frankly, they make money doing it plus many home games. If they go FBS, they'll lose out on all those home dates, they'll lose their rivalry game (against Montana State, just like WKU is losing theirs against EKU) and they won't compete for a national title every year.

Idaho, eh? Got to remember SHSU has wins over the Sun Belt as of late. Not sure Idaho could even get on equal footing as that league. If we were going to compare Lamar to an FBS school, that'd be Texas State. The Bobcats for most of their SLC tenure have held Lamar's old spot in the cellar clean. Lamar leads the conference in most times at the bottom of the league. Great job Cards!

Cards also have disillusional fans like UNLV that think they need to be FBS once they can without even seeing if the community will support the team after the hype of having a football team wears off. Bobcats have been dillusional for sometime and have already one failed FBS move to their name (great job LaFleur!) and to date, their only NCAA playoff appearance at the top level (the lowest amount of all active FCS teams in the Texas half of the SLC) was done on the backs of players illegally recruited (see Barrick Nealy from UH), one of numerous NCAA violations that led their coach to being canned..

One last thing, when Bob Marlin gets a better job offer he will leave SHSU and you will go back to your old crappy ways.

He's made our job more attractive than ever before. I doubt we'll fall hard when Marlin leaves if we make the right hire like we did with baseball (two NCAA appearances in two years under Johnson) and softball (Brock has got our program back to where it belongs).

Marlin has gone into SHSU and proved two things. You can have success on the floor (top SLC program since Marlin came in based on W-L record) and you can lead the conference academically while doing it (SHSU has 'dominated' the All-SLC Academic squads in hoops under Marlin)

McNeese went undefeated in the SLC last year and got blown out in the first round of the playoffs, at home.  This year UCA is doing quite well and is one of the favorites to win the conference and they are still in transition from D2.

McNeese was missing three All-Americans (including two bonafide Sunday players) and a few role players. They limped to the finish line. Legit top 10 program with all those players...and yep, UCA would do some damage if they got a chance this year...

And as a football conference it's mediocre at best.

Only been that way since Katrina/Rita year...prior to that, we were one of the top three, four leagues in terms of putting teams into the playoffs. The hurricanes as of late have made a mess of our league and really taken the playoffs out of the hands of the teams. We've lost some critical games and some teams (i.e Nicholls) really took a blow in terms of practice time (they were a solid squad and got screwed this year)

Lamar will be in a FBS conference in the future, otherwise it doesn't make sense for Lamar to invest in all these upgrades for the athletic programs.  It won't happen tomorrow, but probably around 2012 I see LU making the move out of the SLC.

If Lamar goes, SHSU will go. Simple as that. I'm not a fan of not having a seat at the table as far as playing for a "title" (if you want to call the FBS title that). Lamar is not as attractive at UTSA and even TXST. That's going to hurt. Will 2012 give the Cards a chance to prove they have an attractive football for an FBS conference? Does the Sun Belt want to take Lamar back in? What is Lamar's ticket to FBS?

Everyone is dillusional except Terror and a winless SHSU which is the worse team in one of the worse conference.

Lamar and SHSU is not linked, unless you are saying SHSU is Lamar's butler... ;D

There is no rule that says SHSU must follow Lamar. If coach is right, you and SHSU will have your SLC and FCS to yourselves without

Lamar...

There is no rule that says SHSU must follow Lamar. If coach is right, you and SHSU will have your SLC and FCS to yourselves without Lamar...

The mind set in Huntsville is that athletically and academically, we are second to no school in the TSUS. It's why there is no flagship -- we fought that off and why SHSU and TXST both came up to Division I at the same time in the first place...

We have no intentions on "following" schools that we feel are equal or lesser than that of our own...

Montana should move up to FBS, Losing home games is not going to be long term. Look at Marshall and Boise State. Both of those schools have had a lot of good schools come. Also I do believe that a lot of FBS schools choose to play an FCS school yearly so they could consistently play Montana State. Terror I am glad that the folks at your school have a lot of pride, but I do not think that when folks are asked about great schools in Texas many folks say damn SHSU is were I would go...  Lamar can at least say we have a top level engineering program...    and our masters in education program is pretty damn popular.

Oh I do remember SHSU has one fell of a golf course management degree.... but how many people go for that....

I know this has nothing to do with the conversation but TT, who is Scott Stoker?

Head coach at Northwestern State. He's known as "Stoker the Joker" amongst league fans who every year get to hear from the Demons head coach about their top ranked recruiting class in the SLC and how they always have the toughest schedule in the league. It's an annual rite of passage in the league. His dad is the legendary (in Louisiana HS football ranks) Butch Stoker. Former Demons QB, Stoker is...

Montana should move up to FBS, Losing home games is not going to be long term. Look at Marshall and Boise State. Both of those schools have had a lot of good schools come. Also I do believe that a lot of FBS schools choose to play an FCS school yearly so they could consistently play Montana State.

Similar to Eastern Kentucky, Montana State won't play Montana if they go FBS, just like McNeese does not play La-Lafayette. Those teams won't want to be part of a one-sided rivalry game where they go to that team every year. It's commonsense and more importantly, against league rules for some conferences for an FBS to go to an FCS.

And we are talking about Montana. Their fans won't want a lapse in home games. They expect 6, if not 7 home games yearly. They only play FBS schools if the $$$ is high in the sky, because they can make more from a home game than they can from traveling to quite a few FBS schools (outside of the BCS conferences). They pay schools to come to them. Occasional OOC home-and-home, but it's got to be a good team (they like Cal Poly and have had a healthy relation with SHSU).

Terror I am glad that the folks at your school have a lot of pride, but I do not think that when folks are asked about great schools in Texas many folks say dang SHSU is were I would go...  Lamar can at least say we have a top level engineering program...    and our masters in education program is pretty dang popular. Oh I do remember SHSU has one fell of a golf course management degree.... but how many people go for that....

PGA Management degree program is capped at a certain amount of students. It's a unique program and we do own our own golf course, which is a nice little part of that.

LUFAN -- you think highly of Lamar academics and I do not fault for you for that. However, as recently as 2005, when I was debating against the merits of a flagship school in the TSUS, the only schools the Regents and/or Chancellor mentioned were Sam Houston State and that little school in San Marcos. In fact, the TXST student body president at the time said that while TXST had the size, academically, SHSU was the top dog. Not once during my years of politicking as a student leader did Lamar really come into the forefront as one of the top academic institutions.

It's not a smack against your school, just telling you as I heard it from the 'power people' in the system. And I dare say, SHSU has continued moving forward in that time with new doctoral programs and new masters programs while churning out more and more of those. Apparently, churning out said students has a lot to do with the TSUS rating system and really, the flagship issue, if it were to ever come about because it's all about being a research institution.

Guest coachacola

The Big 12 and CUSA schools look down on all the SLC schools so I don't get too worked up over which school is best academically in the TSUS.  LU, SHSU and Texas State all need to keep improving.  There is no worthy "flagship" in the TSUS because none are research institutions and the endowments are tiny compared to the Big 12 and CUSA schools.  Lamar's $100 million capital campaign is a good step in the right direction.  But academics doesn't matter all that much when talking athletics and FBS.

I'm fine with SHSU going FBS.  Not sure where they'll find the fans to go their games, but I have no problem with them doing that.  Lamar will be just fine attendance wise.  Like any school they need to win.  What they did in the SLC from the mid-60s to the mid-80s is of no consequence.  Terror likes to say the we're living in the past when talking about what Lamar did in basketball 25 years ago, but the first thing he brings up about Lamar football is what happened 25 years ago.

Lamar will be just fine in football.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43