JH Question...

Just wondering what the members of this forum think about this...

I grew up in PN where we have two junior highs feeding into PN-G.

Vidor and Nederland are in the same situation.

Over the last decade I have watched Coach Stewart in Dayton transform the ENTIRE athletic program from 7th to 12th.

I think having only one junior high has helped tremendously (athletically).

When I was coaching in Dayton, Lumberton only had one junior high.

There are pros and cons about having one and two junior highs, but I would say that in 4A, Dayton is very lucky to only have one junior high feeding into the high school.

The varsity coaches are at the junior high every Tuesday night and know ALL the athletes by the time they get into junior high.

In 5A it is not practical to only have one junior high, but....

In 4A if  you were setting up your district (athletic purposes only) would you only want one junior high or two? and the pros and cons on both.

Guest Brubaker

Just my two cents, but I would think at that level, you'd want as many kids playing and getting interested as possible.  The more teams the better.  Now what a varsity head coach does with that situation is a totally different thing.  Todays culture for these kids says if I'm not starting/playing, I'll go find something else to do, when in fact there are kids who don't start/play in middle school that turn out to be dang good football players.

Not sure what the answer is for the PNG middle schools at this point, they are really struggling with the talent level.

In Lumberton you not only have the one Junior High situation, but the football program goes all the way literally to the little league level. Lumbertons' little league footballers play the same formations and plays as the Varsity. If a kid grows up playing football in Lumberton now, when he gets to high school, he is working more on the finesse then learning the plays. If i'm not mistaken, this is what happens in Orange too, with the young ones going into WOS.

I thought Lumberton still had one junior high.

Barbers Hill is in the same situation.

It seems like it is easier to implement your program from top to bottom if you only have one junior high.

You do get more kids involved with two junior highs, but as one of the coaches said, you sure don't come out with 22 starters if you have 2 junior highs.

When I was in school and still in Jefferson county, it always seemed that in PN, Nederland, or Vidor, most of the time one of the junior highs was just a lot better than the other one.

Right now in Nederland it seems like CO Wilson is better than Central.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo