Discussed SHSU Athletic Fee Could Spur FBS Conversation?

UNLV may tinkle his pants, because it looks as if SHSU is moving towards tinkering with the athletic fee by moving the athletic fee out from under the auspices of Student Services.

The link does not work for me, but if someone is able to get access to it, I'll let you know (or someone else will) on here, because then we can all access it. I'm assuming that we could possibly get this situation rectified by the end of the 2009 session of the Texas Legislature.

Since I'm not 100% clear on what they are doing (due to the lack of ability to read the article), I can not really state what is needed to do, though I have an idea...

This may spur some people to think SHSU is preparing for FBS...and considering, we do not like sitting idle, especially behind our sister schools...very well could be.

This is the hidden content, please

Terror, shouldn't you be outraged?  SHSU leaving behind FCS where its possible to win a national championship

to FBS where there is no  playoffs. SHSU will have a losing season every year then the season is over. What fun is that?

Mcneese will own the SLC and a few NC. Where is your outrage?  oh wait, the outrages is for Texas st FBS talk and LU

FBS talk while you cheer on SHSU... I told this forum you have 2 faces to FBS.

Terror, shouldn't you be outraged?  SHSU leaving behind FCS where its possible to win a national championship

to FBS where there is no  playoffs. SHSU will have a losing season every year then the season is over. What fun is that?

Mcneese will own the SLC and a few NC. Where is your outrage?  oh wait, the outrages is for Texas st FBS talk and LU

I'm not happy about going FBS because we do not have a seat at the table in football. The landscape of FBS needs to change and perhaps our administration who is very involved in football activities (our AD sat on the FCS football committee), knows something that is not out there.

Look how long it has taken a school like La-Lafayette to go to the bowl games and they've obviously not had a shot at the championship. They hang their hat on a mid 1990s win over Texas A&M. They may go bowling this year, but that's a bit ridiculous.

In 4 years TSU, SHSU and Lamar will be in a FBS conference. We don't need another fee just some deep pocket alumni.

Didn't you guys already put an increase for student athletic fees? Or did you separate the fee from where it was? Forget what you guys did...

I'm not happy about going FBS because we do not have a seat at the table in football. The landscape of FBS needs to change and perhaps our administration who is very involved in football activities (our AD sat on the FCS football committee), knows something that is not out there.

Look how long it has taken a school like La-Lafayette to go to the bowl games and they've obviously not had a shot at the championship. They hang their hat on a mid 1990s win over Texas A&M. They may go bowling this year, but that's a bit ridiculous.

In 4 years TSU, SHSU and Lamar will be in a FBS conference. We don't need another fee just some deep pocket alumni.

Didn't you guys already put an increase for student athletic fees? Or did you separate the fee from where it was? Forget what you guys did...

Then fight it Terror. Are you willing to sit back and do nothing while SHSU gets dragged down to La-tech and Lafayette level.

Get your power people together and fight it. Unless all that anti-FBS was just talk....

Guest coachacola

I'm buying that "no real shot at a championship" argument as a reason against going FBS.  Appy State is getting a lot of pub these days at the FCS level because they have won 3 FCS championships in a row and the beat Michigan.  That is the exception, not the norm.  And that still doesn't get them on ESPN as much as teams from the MAC, CUSA or Sunbelt, who I doubt have a shot at a national championship in football.

There's a lot more to it than just a championship.  I think perception and exposure are more important than a shot at the championship.  I doubt anyone in the SLC has a shot at a championship in basketball, but if there was a FCS-equivalent level basketball division, would you want the SLC playing basketball at that lower level?  I sure wouldn't.

Lamar enacted the athletic fee mainly for football.  Looks like SHSU will follow LU and Texas State down that path.  Lamar will pull in more money from ticket sales and donations than SHSU and Texas State, so even with fewer students Lamar will be able to support a FBS program.

I have just found out that the fee is not in discussion mode...it has already passed by a 2:1 margin amongst our students. You want to talk about a clear majority putting their vote behind athletics? Figure the specifics of the fee increase and what it means to SHSU athletics will be made available soon.

SHSU is stepping up to the plate and 'Closing the Gap' with those institutions in the state of Texas -- SFA and TXST -- that outspend us by a several million dollar margin...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43