WO-S grad Bevil verbally commits to Lamar

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

CORSICANA — Each time Andre Bevil took the field for the West Orange-Stark Mustangs, everyone on the WO-S coaching staff knew they had a “gamer.â€

Whether it was being the first young man at practice each day or needing someone to take charge in tight situations, the Mustangs always counted on Bevil to be there.

He was always there.

Bevil, who led the Mustangs to an 11-1 mark as a senior quarterback in 2006 and who is currently leading top-ranked Navarro Junior College into the first round of the playoffs, has verbally committed to play college football at Lamar University.

“For right now, Lamar University is a great choice for me,†said Bevil. “I wanted to go ahead and make a decision on what was next for me so I could really concentrate on what’s in front of our team now - and that’s the playoffs.â€

Bevil has complete confidence in Coach Woodard, who was an assistant at Navarro JC until last year when he accepted the challenging Lamar post.

“Coach Woodard is a great coach and a intense coach,†said Bevil. “He has the will to win and he’s a coach that knows how to push all the right buttons.â€

Getting back close to home would be a plus for Bevil.

“To have a chance to go back home and perform in front of so many people I know will be a blessing,†said Bevil. “The new program at Lamar is getting off the ground well and Coach Woodard is so enthusiastic about being there. The community seems to be in high spirits about the program returning. The more local players on the team, the more fans will be interested. I'm looking forward to it."

Bevil is concentrating on the task at hand as he will lead Bulldogs against Trinity Valley Junior College in the first round of the playoffs this weekend.

The Bulldogs are pumping out more than 36 points a game and have outscored opponents 326-130.

Bevil has completed 45-of-85 passes for 686 yards and four touchdowns and has rushed for 87 yards and three scores in the Bulldogs’ run-oriented offense.

‘We’ve had an awesome season so far but we feel like we have a lot more to accomplish,†said Bevil. “I messed up my ankle and had to sit out a couple games but I've been getting back into the groove again the last couple weeks. We want to take this thing all the way to the national title. We’ve been No. 1 for awhile now, so we’ll get everyone’s best shot.â€

Bevil got his shot at WO-S and ran with it his senior year.

An outstanding All-District rover on defense as a junior, Bevil knew he was probably going to be the backup quarterback his senior year to Jacoby Franks, who is now a redshirt freshman receiver playing for No. 2-ranked Texas Tech. Things changed in a hurry.

“After about our third practice in pads, Jacoby got dinged up a little bit and Andre stepped right in and we never missed a beat in 12 games with him in the lineup,†said long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “He showed a lot in 7-on-7 during that summer and once he stepped into that starting role, he was amazing. Andre had the prettiest deep ball I’ve ever seen a player have here at WO-S and was so accurate. Going into his senior year we knew we had an All-District defensive guy but then he puts up All-State-caliber numbers at quarterback. We found a true gem in that one.â€

During his 2006 senior campaign Bevil completed 125-of-195 passes for 2,069 yards and 25 touchdowns.

Bevil, who also played a key role in the Mustangs' trip to the Class 3A State Basketball Tournament in 2006 from his forward spot where he averaging double digits, just wanted to make progress from week to week when he first took over the QB duties.

The coaches at West Orange made things easy for me,†said Bevil. “They taught me so much, not only on how to perform but to be a leader too. They always showed confidence in me from the first day until the last game. Of course, when you’re throwing to guys with names like Earl Thomas and Jacoby Franks, you can’t help to be blessed.â€

Hooks is elated that Bevil will have a chance to shine at Lamar, a place where Hooks was an assistant in the 1970s.

“Coach Woodard and Andre already have a relationship from the Navarro days and that’s a plus,†Hooks said. “Andre is a teriffic young man with a good head on his shoulders. His work ethic has always been an asset. He’ll be a good fit for Lamar. It’s great to see Coach Woodard hitting our area hard because there is a lot of talent in the Southeast Texas area, talent that seemed to escape Lamar in the past.â€

Lamar has snagged several other local verbal commitments recently including Port Neches-Groves quarterback Harrison Tatum and his teammate in lineman Ryan McLin; Hamshire-Fannett’s guard Sequoia Harry and defensive end Jake Koehl; Jasper quarterback Dominique Bailey; Beaumont Ozen offensive linemen John Prescott and Daniel Lemelle and Nederland standout receiver Asa Cardenas.

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

CORSICANA — Each time Andre Bevil took the field for the West Orange-Stark Mustangs, everyone on the WO-S coaching staff knew they had a “gamer.”

Whether it was being the first young man at practice each day or needing someone to take charge in tight situations, the Mustangs always counted on Bevil to be there.

He was always there.

Bevil, who led the Mustangs to an 11-1 mark as a senior quarterback in 2006 and who is currently leading top-ranked Navarro Junior College into the first round of the playoffs, has verbally committed to play college football at Lamar University.

“For right now, Lamar University is a great choice for me,” said Bevil. “I wanted to go ahead and make a decision on what was next for me so I could really concentrate on what’s in front of our team now - and that’s the playoffs.”

Bevil has complete confidence in Coach Woodard, who was an assistant at Navarro JC until last year when he accepted the challenging Lamar post.

“Coach Woodard is a great coach and a intense coach,” said Bevil. “He has the will to win and he’s a coach that knows how to push all the right buttons.”

Getting back close to home would be a plus for Bevil.

“To have a chance to go back home and perform in front of so many people I know will be a blessing,” said Bevil. “The new program at Lamar is getting off the ground well and Coach Woodard is so enthusiastic about being there. The community seems to be in high spirits about the program returning. The more local players on the team, the more fans will be interested. I'm looking forward to it."

Bevil is concentrating on the task at hand as he will lead Bulldogs against Trinity Valley Junior College in the first round of the playoffs this weekend.

The Bulldogs are pumping out more than 36 points a game and have outscored opponents 326-130.

Bevil has completed 45-of-85 passes for 686 yards and four touchdowns and has rushed for 87 yards and three scores in the Bulldogs’ run-oriented offense.

‘We’ve had an awesome season so far but we feel like we have a lot more to accomplish,” said Bevil. “I messed up my ankle and had to sit out a couple games but I've been getting back into the groove again the last couple weeks. We want to take this thing all the way to the national title. We’ve been No. 1 for awhile now, so we’ll get everyone’s best shot.”

Bevil got his shot at WO-S and ran with it his senior year.

An outstanding All-District rover on defense as a junior, Bevil knew he was probably going to be the backup quarterback his senior year to Jacoby Franks, who is now a redshirt freshman receiver playing for No. 2-ranked Texas Tech. Things changed in a hurry.

“After about our third practice in pads, Jacoby got dinged up a little bit and Andre stepped right in and we never missed a beat in 12 games with him in the lineup,” said long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “He showed a lot in 7-on-7 during that summer and once he stepped into that starting role, he was amazing. Andre had the prettiest deep ball I’ve ever seen a player have here at WO-S and was so accurate. Going into his senior year we knew we had an All-District defensive guy but then he puts up All-State-caliber numbers at quarterback. We found a true gem in that one.”

During his 2006 senior campaign Bevil completed 125-of-195 passes for 2,069 yards and 25 touchdowns.

Bevil, who also played a key role in the Mustangs' trip to the Class 3A State Basketball Tournament in 2006 from his forward spot where he averaging double digits, just wanted to make progress from week to week when he first took over the QB duties.

The coaches at West Orange made things easy for me,” said Bevil. “They taught me so much, not only on how to perform but to be a leader too. They always showed confidence in me from the first day until the last game. Of course, when you’re throwing to guys with names like Earl Thomas and Jacoby Franks, you can’t help to be blessed.”

Hooks is elated that Bevil will have a chance to shine at Lamar, a place where Hooks was an assistant in the 1970s.

“Coach Woodard and Andre already have a relationship from the Navarro days and that’s a plus,” Hooks said. “Andre is a teriffic young man with a good head on his shoulders. His work ethic has always been an asset. He’ll be a good fit for Lamar. It’s great to see Coach Woodard hitting our area hard because there is a lot of talent in the Southeast Texas area, talent that seemed to escape Lamar in the past.”

Lamar has snagged several other local verbal commitments recently including Port Neches-Groves quarterback Harrison Tatum and his teammate in lineman Ryan McLin; Hamshire-Fannett’s guard Sequoia Harry and defensive end Jake Koehl; Jasper quarterback Dominique Bailey; Beaumont Ozen offensive linemen John Prescott and Daniel Lemelle and Nederland standout receiver Asa Cardenas.

Gabe, you need to get on Van, tell him to do a little more research. ;) Coach Woodard was not an assistant at Navarro, he was the head man.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43