Bellow apologizes to Vidor, but beats Pirates with 3 TDs

Bellow apologizes to Vidor, but beats Pirates with 3 TDs

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND — Kirby Bellow played one of his better games at quarterback last Friday in Vidor. But the District 20-4A’s passing leader issued an apology on Tuesday.

Bellow apologized to Vidor’s players, coaches and fans for his conduct on the Pirate Stadium playing field. He did not have to apologize for throwing three touchdown passes and guiding Nederland back to the 4A football playoffs with a 35-23 victory. Bellow did admit to carrying his gestures and celebratory moments way too far.

The Nederland quarterback saw Vidor’s playoff neck get chopped off when Wareall Grogan ran 84 yards for a lights-out touchdown with 3:52 left in the game. As Grogan headed toward a certain touchdown, Bellow made a gesture toward Vidor’s stands, suggesting that their heads were chopped off.

Beaumont officials decided to penalize Bellow for unsportsmanlike conduct and eject him from the game after the lefthanded passer also had received two personal foul penalties. Those actions did not sit well with Vidor coach Jeff Mathews, or many of the Pirates assistant coaches and players after the tough homecoming loss for the Vidorians.

Bellow apologized to Vidor for his actions on Wednesday.

“I let my actions get out of control,†Bellow told The News. “I’m taking responsibility for my actions and I’m apologizing for them. It was the competitiveness of the event and I wished I hadn’t done it. I have friends in Vidor. And it was a great game. They’ve got a real good team and there wasn’t any trash-talking or any ill will meant toward them.â€

The Vidor coach shook Bellow’s hand during the post-game exchanges but indicated to Nederland’s quarterback that he was “too good of a player to behave like that.â€

When The News wondered what Bellow’s take on that would be, Kirby handled the incident with humility and class. Sure, he got exuberant. Sure, it was a big game.

“He’s not the kind of young man who ever has been any problem and he’s been a great leader for us,†Bulldogs head coach Larry Neumann said. “I can honestly say that I don’t know what kind of things actually occurred but I’m sure it’s a case where Kirby got caught up in the game.â€

The 16-year-old Bellow has been nothing short of sensational in his second year as Nederland’s field general. His touchdowns to interceptions are a remarkable 17 (TDs) to 3 (INTs). His 2008 passing yards — 1,393 — far and away assures Bellow of being this year’s 20-4A passing leader.

How does Kirby rank among Nederland’s all-time passing greats? The greatest of the great ones coaches Nederland’s receivers right now. Bryan Spell threw for 4,185 career yards as a Bulldog. That’s 300 yards more than Nederland’s single-season passing leader. Dustin Hood threw for 3,848 career yards but set the standard with 2,305 in 2004 as a senior before his May 2005 graduation from NHS.

Bellow has a long ways to go with 3,169 career yards but he’s got another year to add another 1,016 yards to catch Spell. He’s already established a Nederland career mark for most touchdown passes with 37 — seven more than Dustin Hood’s 30 and 10 more than Spell’s 27. Another of Nederland’s varsity offensive assistants, running backs coach Cody Robbins tossed 16 scoring passes back in an era when Nederland stayed on the ground more.

Even though the 2008 Bulldogs work from a spread offense, Bellow has been grateful to tailback Grogan and his experienced line for keeping his life as well protected five yards behind center Trey Terracina.

“Wareall has been a big help because he keeps the defense guessing on what we’re going to do,†Bellow said. “I feel the team has more trust in me now than last year. I think I’m able to make smarter choices on and off the field.â€

One of those smart choices often simply persuades Kirby to throw the ball away and not risk an interception. Bellow had nine interceptions last year. The number has dwindled to three this year, although Nederland has played only seven games.

The Bulldogs close their regular season Friday night at home against Lumberton at 7:30 p.m.

There’s a head coach who has humbly appreciated Kirby’s talents, too. Neumann knows how great of a coach that Bellow makes him appear to be at times.

“I do like to think we coached him to do some of those things he’s done, but it’s more the athletic ability that he has,†Neumann said. “He’s multi-talented and we probably don’t use his talents as much as we could. He could probably start in our secondary if we wanted him to.

“Kirby’s uncanny in his ability to put the ball in areas where receivers have the best chance of catching the ball.â€

Bulldog Bites

Starters Asa Cardenas and Dionte Forney will be suspended for the rest of the week after missing Tuesday’s practice with an unexcused absence. Jimmy Swain will fill Asa’s void and Tommy Gillespie will sub for Forney at defensive end. The duo will miss at least the Lumberton game and their status will be re-evaluated on Monday. “If they wish to re-enter the program on Monday, they will be held to a higher accountability for their preparation in the playoff game in order to participate,†head coach Larry Neumann said. The announcement came on Wednesday afternoon that Cardenas and Forney were suspended from this game due to a “blatant disregard for the commitment to prepare.†Cardenas and Forney missed Tuesday’s workout and journeyed to Houston to watch the NBA game between Houston and Boston.... The Highland Park elementary school students will seek to pep up the Dogs today at 2:30. Friday’s NHS pep rally in the Dogdome will feature a special regional championship trophy presentation to the 1942 Bulldogs. Those regional champs will be recognized again at halftime of the NHS game with Lumberton... No major injuries were sustained at Vidor... Top grades belonged to Trey Terracina (89), Asa Cardenas (88), Wareall Grogan (87), and Ryan Brady (84).

Classy move by Kirby.  Good young man that got caught up in the game.  Happens all of the time.  The difference is he realizes it and takes responsibility.  Not many players do.  Good luck friday!

I agree. I got a chance to meet Kirby a few times during summer baseball. He's a good kid and just got caught up in the moment. His apology is sincere.

Best of luck.

That was it? He got ejected for making a chopping motion with his hands?

I thought maybe he flipped off the home crowd or something. It was still in poor taste but nothing but elation. I have seen a couple of players stand in front of the opponent's side and do similar and not get flagged. Maybe they just got away with it.

That was it? He got ejected for making a chopping motion with his hands?

I thought maybe he flipped off the home crowd or something. It was still in poor taste but nothing but elation. I have seen a couple of players stand in front of the opponent's side and do similar and not get flagged. Maybe they just got away with it.

I bet he did the so called "Throat Slash" implying decapitation. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4