Lamar figures to have shot at Lucas’ son

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

From Bob West:

Don’t be surprised if Lamar University is strongly in the running for, and maybe even lands, blue chip point guard Jai Lucas after he transfers from Florida at the end of the current semester. Why Lamar, for the 5-8 son of former Houston Rocket John Lucas, who was one of the nation’s most highly recruited players two years ago? First of all, Lucas’ dad is a good friend of Cardinal coach Steve Roccaforte and was the guest speaker at LU’s Tip-off Banquet last month. Secondly, Lamar was in the final three when Jai Lucas’ brother John III transferred from Baylor to Oklahoma State a few years ago. It came down to Lamar, Rutgers and Oklahoma State. Jai Lucas, though he started as a true freshman and averaged 8.8 points, while shooting 43.5 percent on treys, is looking to leave Florida because a couple of blue chip recruits are cutting into his playing time, and because he wants to get closer to home.

News about the scrimmage with UTEP:

With Lamar’s season opener six days away, Cardinal coach Steve Roccaforte’s biggest concern is his team’s physical condition. A rough and tumble scrimmage against Texas-El Paso last weekend saw the Cardinals lose big men Tristan Worrell (concussion) and Lawrence Nwevo (knee). Ashton Hall didn’t even make the trip because of a pulled hamstring. Despite being shorthanded, Lamar worked over the Miners pretty good in a couple of 20 minute scrimmages.

Link: http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_313200841.html?keyword=topstory

Guest coachacola

From a Kentucky newspaper:

Former Florida guard Jai Lucas does not expect to commit to a new school until late December.

First he must complete the fall semester so he can transfer his eligibility as well as his basketball talent.

During a telephone conversation Thursday, Lucas gave two possible hints.

First, he said, he wanted to play "somewhat close to home." He's from Houston. Does that mean Oklahoma State, his older brother John's alma mater and one of Jai's finalists two years ago, might be in prime position?

Lucas said it was "really difficult" being in Gainesville, Fla., and far from home.

Second, Lucas wants to play, and he knows Kentucky, another finalist from two years ago, continues to groom a freshman point guard in DeAndre Liggins. Plus the Cats will have a senior point guard in Michael Porter in 2009-10 and incoming freshman G.J. Vilarino.

"I'm aware of all that," Lucas said of UK's point guard options.

Coming out of high school, Lucas was often mentioned with Patrick Patterson in a recruiting package deal. For what it's worth, the two haven't been in contact for months. Lucas said he had not talked to UK's star big man since last season.

At this early stage, Lucas is not being picky.

"Every school is attractive to me," he said. "I want to go where I'm wanted and needed and can help."

Link: http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/583074.html

Looks like he will be eligible to play next year.  With Dawkins and McThay gone after this year, wouldn't it be nice to have Miles and Lucas in the backcourt next year?

That would be amazing... if he came in and took a RS his transfer year that he would have to sit out he could have 3 years of being a DOMINANT PG and most PG's would seem to bloom in this system being that the ball is always in Dawkins hands.

From a Kentucky newspaper:

Former Florida guard Jai Lucas does not expect to commit to a new school until late December.

First he must complete the fall semester so he can transfer his eligibility as well as his basketball talent.

During a telephone conversation Thursday, Lucas gave two possible hints.

First, he said, he wanted to play "somewhat close to home." He's from Houston. Does that mean Oklahoma State, his older brother John's alma mater and one of Jai's finalists two years ago, might be in prime position?

Lucas said it was "really difficult" being in Gainesville, Fla., and far from home.

Second, Lucas wants to play, and he knows Kentucky, another finalist from two years ago, continues to groom a freshman point guard in DeAndre Liggins. Plus the Cats will have a senior point guard in Michael Porter in 2009-10 and incoming freshman G.J. Vilarino.

"I'm aware of all that," Lucas said of UK's point guard options.

Coming out of high school, Lucas was often mentioned with Patrick Patterson in a recruiting package deal. For what it's worth, the two haven't been in contact for months. Lucas said he had not talked to UK's star big man since last season.

At this early stage, Lucas is not being picky.

"Every school is attractive to me," he said. "I want to go where I'm wanted and needed and can help."

Link:

This is the hidden content, please

Looks like he will be eligible to play next year.  With Dawkins and McThay gone after this year, wouldn't it be nice to have Miles and Lucas in the backcourt next year?

3 years with Miles....

Guest DickVitale

I would bet on it being Baylor first, then Rice or UH, Texas, and last UK, based on the fact he wants to play in his home region. However, I would not bet against what my man Billy Clyde Gillespie can pull off!! That guy could sell water to a whale!! :D

Guest DickVitale

Sorry Lamar fans, but I just don't see that scenario happening. Baylor, Kentucky, Rice (due to other ties with them), Houston or Texas. Inside info. ;)

Hope this "inside info" is better than your connections with the defending NBA World Champs!!!!! ;D ;D ;) ;)

Ouch, Lazeek.... :D....All I can say is, ouch, buddy... 8)...I STILL am going to make that one up to you!! ;)

That would be amazing... if he came in and took a RS his transfer year that he would have to sit out he could have 3 years of being a DOMINANT PG and most PG's would seem to bloom in this system being that the ball is always in Dawkins hands.

Okay, after a few weeks debating over at the political sites on the board, my karma marks almost look like Dickie's, which is nothing to brag about. So I'm coming back to the sports end of it now, expecially since basketball is heating up. Fellas, it's nice to think about Jai coming to Lamar and it makes interesting conversation. But that yahoo sportswriter must have been smoking something or just blowing the smoke up our crack.

There is no way this kid is coming to Lamar and play.Nobody with any kind of competitive spirit will choose playing Sam Houston Technical College over Memphis State University.

Guest abovetherim

mffl, I forgot to tell you I saw you on TV during a local stations story about West Brook winning the district title in cross country. Congratulations to you and your team!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43