Lamar will add 3 more womens sports

UNLV

Among those next steps before the football team returns for the 2010 season is the completion of a renovated stadium and a rebuilt field house. The gift frees money for other needs, including construction of the field house, a soccer-only facility on the drawing board and the addition of three women's sports, Simmons said.

"We're looking at softball as probably the next sport to be added, and then two other sports yet to be determined," Simmons said.

This is the hidden content, please

Guest coachacola

I'm surprised they'll be adding 3 more women's sports, I thought they just needed 2 more.  I agree with you UNLV, softball, swimming and gymnastics make sense.  I guess they could go with bowling instead of gymnastics.

Guest coachacola

I bet gymnastics would be too expensive for Lamar.  Either way, once all these sports are added then Lamar will be up to 7 men's sports, 10 women's sports, up from 12 just a couple of years ago.  The athletic budget could possibly double from under $5 million to over $10 million in the next 3 to 4 years.

I bet gymnastics would be too expensive for Lamar.  Either way, once all these sports are added then Lamar will be up to 7 men's sports, 10 women's sports, up from 12 just a couple of years ago.  The athletic budget could possibly double from under $5 million to over $10 million in the next 3 to 4 years.

Not really. Equipment purchase is the big expense, but you do that every few years. Then the price drops to Soccer budget.

Lamar would most likely join the WAC in Gymnastic because I doubt the Big 12 and SEC take Lamar. It would give LU better name recognition

that would help in recruiting in other sports.

Gymnastics is a BIG no-no! The insurance costs there are more than any other sport. Travel prices stink and even read an article about offseason practice that rose my eyebrow some (which not even most UNLV posts do!).

Bowling is great so we can get it as an SLC sport. More schools are adding it.

Softball is a MUST!

Swimming and diving would be great, plenty of competition just off of I-10 (Rice, Houston, LSU, New Orleans). Incarnate Word has it too and short trips to Centenary, North Texas and SMU. Question is conference affiliation. Sun Belt as an affiliate member? C-USA as an affiliate?

Gymnastics is a BIG no-no! The insurance costs there are more than any other sport. Travel prices stink and even read an article about offseason practice that rose my eyebrow some (which not even most UNLV posts do!).

Bowling is great so we can get it as an SLC sport. More schools are adding it.

Softball is a MUST!

Swimming and diving would be great, plenty of competition just off of I-10 (Rice, Houston, LSU, New Orleans). Incarnate Word has it too and short trips to Centenary, North Texas and SMU. Question is conference affiliation. Sun Belt as an affiliate member? C-USA as an affiliate?

Hyping up bowling for the slc and down playing gymnastic because Terror's belove slc won't sponsor it.

Is anyone suprised?

Hyping up bowling for the slc and down playing gymnastic because Terror's belove slc won't sponsor it. Is anyone suprised?

Bowling is..

a) cheaper than gymnastics

B) more beneficial if you have a set conference championship instead of chasing affiliate membership in a conference 2000 miles away

c) helps LU in their quest for Commish Cup

Hyping up bowling for the slc and down playing gymnastic because Terror's belove slc won't sponsor it. Is anyone suprised?

Bowling is..

a) cheaper than gymnastics

I agree. However being cheap got Football dropped as well as LU other sports, school population dropped, respect dropped, and conference drop.

Gymnastic is worth the cost because it will get lots of local support.

B) more beneficial if you have a set conference championship instead of chasing affiliate membership in a conference 2000 miles away

oh let me check espn slc bowling update. I don't want bowling or the SLC.

c) helps LU in their quest for Commish Cup

::)  I can't believe you posted that...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43