*OF vs. HF Updates/HF Wins!!*

KFDM COOP

Lady Longhorns oust Orangefield

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

NEDERLAND — It was only fitting the last shot of the night came from an assist by Danielle Johnson to Kindra Wright.

The Hamshire-Fannett Lady Longhorns used the combination all night long against the Orangefield Lady Bobcats and it pushed the team into the regional finals.

The Lady Longhorns (25-9) swept past the Lady Bobcats (20-11) in three games Tuesday in the Class 3A Region III regional quarterfinals at Nederland High School.

Hamshire-Fannett won the match 25-14, 25-21 and 25-9 behind 25 assists from Johnson and 14 kills from Wright, both match highs.

The Lady Longhorns will now face Robinson in the Class 3A Region III regional tournament in College Station starting Friday.

"It has been such a weird year," Hamshire-Fannett Coach Debbie Peltier said. "I thought we had hit our peak then we had Hurricane Ike and now the girls are really meshing and trusting the person side by side."

The Hamshire-Fannett victory ends a superb Orangefield season who locked up the final playoff spot out of District 21-3A with a play-in win over Bridge City. The Lady Bobcats then took out Liberty before having a bye in the area round.

Junior Aimee Scales led the Lady Bobcats Tuesday night with eight kills while senior Allie Beach added six kills. Fellow senior Olivia Wagner had a team-high 14 assists.

"I am very proud of the season our girls had this year," Orangefield Coach Kristin Holbrooks said. "It is a rough ending but it was an amazing way to get there."

The Lady Bobcats simply had no answer Tuesday night for the powerful hitting of several Lady Longhorns hitters.

Hamshire-Fannett's Shelby Mason finished with eight kills and Elizabeth Files had eight.

Game 1 was close at 13-11 before Macy Howerton came to serve.

Howerton hit for nine consecutive service points, including one ace and three kills from Files and two from Wright as the Lady Longhorns built a 22-11 lead.

Files would hit for an ace to finish the game at 25-14.

Game 2 was close all the way through and with Hamshire-Fannett up 24-20 Wagner set Beach for a kill to make it 24-21.

A final Orangefield shot landed out of bounds to give Hamshire-Fannett the 25-21 win.

Orangefield was then never able to recover in Game 3 as Hamshire-Fannett came out on fire.

After the game was tied 1-1, Johnson hit for 10 straight service points as Orangefield had six errors in the stretch and the Lady Longhorns took a 11-1 lead.

With Hamshire-Fannett up 22-8, Howerton hit for two aces to give the Lady Longhorns a 24-8 lead.

One play later, Johnson found Wright to make sure the Lady Longhorns could punch their ticket into College Station.

"Hamshire-Fannett is phenomenal," Holbrooks said. "I really do think they have a great chance to go to state. Our season is going to help with building us a phenomenal program."

Peltier knows the Lady Longhorns have a lot of work ahead of them in College Station.

"I really do commend Orangefield," Peltier said. "A lot of people say they are a scrappy team and it is true and I mean it in a positive way. They tip balls, dig out shots and are all over the place. I am not one who looks ahead but as I know right now Robinson is very tall. We are going to spend three days looking at how we can attack trees.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4