Bob West: Lamar’s Woodard schedules Aggies for 2012 season

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
New Lamar University football coach Ray Woodard is not only a big man at 6-6, 290, he also thinks big. Woodard, in the process of putting future schedules together, called Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Michigan and Oklahoma State, among others. His first taker was Texas A&M. Although the contracts have not been signed, Lamar is tentatively schedule to play the Aggies at Kyle Field Sept. 8, 2012. Tentative dates have also been made with Oklahoma State and TCU in 2013. Asked about a possible game with Texas, Woodard said he was told the Longhorns weren’t interested in playing a 1-AA team. The LU coach wouldn’t say what the school’s payout will be for playing at A&M, but I’m betting it’s in excess of $500,000

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_320194620.html?keyword=topstory

Guest coachacola

He should call Baylor, SMU, UH, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Okie st, Army and Navy...

He did call Okie State and LU is playing them in 2013, along with TCU.  I like this aggressive scheduling.  Not only will it help with recruiting, it should also help to keep local interest up, bring in much needed money to the program, and also help Lamar figure out if moving up to FBS would be worthwhile.

He should call Baylor, SMU, UH, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Okie st, Army and Navy...

He did call Okie State and LU is playing them in 2013, along with TCU.  I like this aggressive scheduling.  Not only will it help with recruiting, it should also help to keep local interest up, bring in much needed money to the program, and also help Lamar figure out if moving up to FBS would be worthwhile.

This will defintely look good for the program and fill the stands for these games.

This will defintely look good for the program and fill the stands for these games.

A&M, Oklahoma State and TCU already do a fair job of filling the stands regardless of opponent...not sure how Lamar being there would boost attendance in College Station, Stillwater or Fort Worth.  ::)

Sorry, I meant LU home games whenever they schedule some of these schools for home games.

Sorry, I meant LU home games whenever they schedule some of these schools for home games.

As long as your FCS -- look forward to games against the Texas State(-San Marcos), Idaho State, Tennessee State and Alabama State of the world compared to those schools...

Even if you go FBS, those schools won't find their way into Beaumont. A likely "home" game in Houston would be possible, just as ULM about their "home game" in Little Rock, Ark against the Razorbacks...

As long as your FCS -- look forward to games against the Texas State(-San Marcos), Idaho State, Tennessee State and Alabama State of the world compared to those schools...

Even if you go FBS, those schools won't find their way into Beaumont. A likely "home" game in Houston would be possible, just as ULM about their "home game" in Little Rock, Ark against the Razorbacks...

Alabama went to Monroe.

I wonder if there would be a huge fan support ( buses, etc) for games if LU scheduled teams like Rice, UH, SMU, Texas Tech, LSU, and other teams near Beaumont?

If you guys didn't, then you were being behind the eight ball...

McNeese does road trips for EVERY conference game plus others within driving distance. Believe only one (NWST) got called off due to lack of interest and perhaps NWST was because of how close it was for people. They went to SHSU and even were very limited on spaces for UCA. Lots of schools do that. SHSU had a few buses for the UH game in 2005 and have done buses for SFA and TXST in the past.

UH and Rice may not be willing to schedule you guys. UH has quit on the SLC and gone the "SWAC route" because the bands and more likely chance for a win. Rice is done with FCS schools it looks like after the Nicholls victory two seasons ago. Texas Tech loves scheduling FCS and even did two this year.

I wonder if there would be a huge fan support ( buses, etc) for games if LU scheduled teams like Rice, UH, SMU, Texas Tech, LSU, and other teams near Beaumont?

If you guys didn't, then you were being behind the eight ball...

McNeese does road trips for EVERY conference game plus others within driving distance. Believe only one (NWST) got called off due to lack of interest and perhaps NWST was because of how close it was for people. They went to SHSU and even were very limited on spaces for UCA. Lots of schools do that. SHSU had a few buses for the UH game in 2005 and have done buses for SFA and TXST in the past.

UH and Rice may not be willing to schedule you guys. UH has quit on the SLC and gone the "SWAC route" because the bands and more likely chance for a win. Rice is done with FCS schools it looks like after the Nicholls victory two seasons ago. Texas Tech loves scheduling FCS and even did two this year.

Then if no one will play a FCS, then we have no choice but to go FBS...

I think as long as we win, that will put people's butts in the stands. Simple as that.

Sorry, but when you experience an economic depression, you tend to save your money in  pillow cases under the bed. I still remember 1988(?) and LU had a decent record. They quit football because the program was losing money.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43