Bowhunters concerned about possible regulation change

KFDM COOP

I signed the petition about 1 1/2 months ago.  I am all for getting more youth into the outdoors, but at the sacrifice of the bowhunters is unacceptable!  We only get 3 weeks to hunts without all the rifles in the woods and now they are talking about taking it away from us!  I know that todays deer hunting is a money driven business, but it is getting out of hand!  Us Texans are lucky to have the length of seasons that we do.  Many states don't operate the way we do, and yet it is getting to the point where we will be like other states with VERY short seasons.  That is the reason our state is so well known for hunting for the fact that MANY people from other states are coming all the way down here to hunt in our long season.  Like the article stated.  It probably won't hurt the big ranches on S Texas, and any other big ranch in the state, but there are more people in Texas that don't have the means to hunt these big leases and only get to hunt small private property that is surrounded by a lease.  I for one am one of those who hunt small tracts of family land, but I am lucky enough to have family who is on a 10,000 acre ranch in Del Rio and get the chance to go out there maybe twice a yr, but that isn't where I do the bulk of my hunting.  I've been 4 times and have only killed 3 deer, I get the majority of my venison from E Texas.

"BUT IT"S FOR THE KIDS"

I agree Lefty. I have been deer hunting for about 35 years and the October archery season was an add-on. Guns were not allowed to hunt back then and that put that extra season for bow hunters the extra time without all the extra pressure in the woods. You have to remember that bow hunters usually need to get within 20 yards of their game and normally shots are taken about about 12-18 yards. It is not like when the gun hunters are taking from 75-150 yard shots and have large shooting lanes. I hunt both gun and bow so I am not dogging out gun hunters. I just think they are trying to move in on a time that they have never been able to use for gun hunting. It is not like they took that time away from gun hunters to make room for archery.

I think a lot of people that claim to be doing it "for the kids" are really doing it to get the kids out of their hair for the "real" season. Heck, the kids can hunt with the parent right now for 9 weeks of the regular season and additional time (part of it in archery season) when adults can't hunt with guns. That apparently isn't enough. That is why I have the suspicion that it is so the kid can kill a spike or a doe and get that out of the way so dad (and/or mom) can do the serious hunting or dad wants that extra chance at the monster buck before the other hunters get in there and uses the kid as the justification to be in the woods. Sorry but there it is.

Also, anyone that wants to gun hunt for deer during October (or even September) can do so by starting with the MLD program. Of course, to do that they need to manage their lease and not just kill everything that moves. An MLD program lease will allow gun hunters to hunt the entire deer season (including archery) and even into February, way after everyone else has had their season end. 

Most people don't have the choice whether or not their lease is on MLD. 

The hunter that is going to break the law and shoot a deer while in youth season is the same hunter that will break the law and shoot a doe after doe season or shoot an illegal buck next year or take too many deer and so on.  Most people are ethical.  I watched a monster ten point last year dance around my feeder during youth season.  My son had buck fever and farted around trying to get  a perfect shot as well as calming his nerves.  Had I been unethical I would have shot it, (inside I was wishing it was regular season).  The buck ended up running off and we never saw him again. 

Outlaws will be outlaws.

If my kid's are going to have to shoot a trophy from now on then I welcome the chance to have more time for them to get him. 

SO I resectfully disagree both of you.  Both being bowhunters I do understand where your coming from though.

You are ethical. I believe that many are not. Yes, criminals will be criminals. I think that this move would allow a criminal the "right" to be in the woods with a rifle without having to sneak around. The only way to catch a poacher in these kinds of situations is to almost be in the deer stand with the hunter to know which person pulled the trigger. I believe that it will be a way to almost legitimize poaching and make it much easier to break the law.

Not for the ethical hunters but for the large number (maybe not a majority but it is substantial) of ones that are not.

• 5 weeks later...

The TPWD Commission met in committee today to consider the proposals put forth at the November meeting. These included the expansion of youth rifle season for the entire month of October, opening a rifle season in Grayson County, and limiting the number of Alligator Gar to 1 per day. The LSBA with support from TBoT and bowhunters/bowfishers across the state rallied in opposition to these proposals. We were heard!!

Today the commission recommended the following proposals:

1. Youth Season will be extended into January with no intrusion into the Archery Season at all.

2. Grayson County will stay Archery Only with an increased bag limit to 2 bucks but with antler restrictions.

3. No limits or restrictions on taking Alligator Gar except on Lake Texoma where it will be limited to 1 fish per day.

These proposals will be published in the Texas Register for consideration to be made law at the Commissioner's meeting in March. There will be several public hearings before then to gather data regarding these and several other proposals.

It was obvious from listening to commissioner's comments that bowhunters had made their feelings known. The leadership of the LSBA has agreed to work with TPWD to explore new opportunities to get the youth in the field and I believe we will be able to make positive contributions to that effort. The next time you talk to one of the folks from TPW or one of the commissioners please take the time to thank him/her for supporting bowhunting. I want to thank each of you for your hard work in supporting the LSBA and bowhunters of Texas.

You have anything on the Flounder proposals, last I heard it would be a closier for Nov to the giggers. Seems to me IF TPW wanted to help the fishery they would make Flounder a 'game fish' and therefore close the season for the commericial guys, this itself would save the Flounder as it did the Specks n Reds yrs back. Thanks for the info on hunting, I, a bowhunter am thankful for the desicion BUT I also have a grandson that will start hunting this next season, with the youth season as is, I see no problem in hooking the boy up, my biggest problem would be getting him from Houston to Hardin county.

I have a hard time making the youth season as it currently stands.  I have two little hunters and my wife doesn't hunt, so I have to alternate or double up with one pouting because he isnt' holding the gun.  As the season stands now I can make 4 hunts with 2 for each child.  However because of my line of work and having to work every Sat and Sun during football season I'm usually unable to take them unless its  a Sunday evening.  Every now and then we'll get off early on Sat evn.  I was hoping for the expanded season during October. 

What will the youth season be in Jan? 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats