Enjoy the SLC For Awhile

If Lamar was on the fast track to FBS, they would not be allowed to be a football member of the league, especially as quickly as they are. Both the Commissioner and the decision makers in the league would not allow such a stop-over on the school's way to FBS.

Remember this article from Nov. 30, 2006...? It's coming back into discussion on numerous boards around the league and on the national stage as we discuss whether or not UTSA will actually play a down of SLC football. I really have a hard time believing they will, especially due to the timeframe of their playing football.

SLC commissioner Tom Burnett expressed concerns Thursday that UTSA eventually wants to split from the conference for another conference that sponsors Division I-A football.

If that is the case, Burnett said he doesn't know whether the SLC would welcome UTSA as a Division I-AA football member in its first season.

"I don't know what interest we would have in (a program) being in our conference a few years on their way to I-A," Burnett said.

Burnett's concerns surfaced a day after UTSA released a report by a national consulting firm that analyzed its ability to start a Division I football program.

This is the hidden content, please

Funny enough, when seeking out this article on AGS -- I came across a post which had a poll regarding the return of football. Lamar only had one vote. Top vote-getters were East Tennessee State (which is not at this time) and Georgia State (who is bringing it back).

This is the hidden content, please

Guest coachacola

No one from Lamar has stated that they taking the fast track to FBS so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up.  It's been debated here if Lamar should go FBS and we know UNLV wants Lamar to go FBS as soon as possible, and I would like Lamar to go FBS in the future.  Nothing new there.  I think the decision for Lamar to go FBS depends on a number of factors, including how well the team does, how much support it gets, the level of donations, what happens after the 2011 moratorium ends, if another FBS conference forms, if the SLC decides to split and go FBS, etc.  UTSA obviously feels they will be better served by fast tracking to FBS, but they're in a different situation than Lamar is.

And that AGS poll is a joke.  Out of over 5000 members of that message board only 1% cared to respond.  I think the real motivation of your post is to put Lamar down since we all know SHSU doesn't have the financial or fan support to go FBS anytime in the foreseeable future.

No one from Lamar has stated that they taking the fast track to FBS so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. 

Terror loves to bring up bs that doesn't matter and stir people up. Even on his home board, katfans.com, he seems like he's more hated than me over there.

Terror is: The Internet's Most Hated  :o

And that AGS poll is a joke.  Out of over 5000 members of that message board only 1% cared to respond.  I think the real motivation of your post is to put Lamar down since we all know SHSU doesn't have the financial or fan support to go FBS anytime in the foreseeable future.

The reason I shared that was more along the lines of how humorous it was that the schools that many thought would be quicker to add football were not necessarily the ones to add football. It was not meant as an attack on Lamar.

If anything, I was just trying to get UNLV worked up...the confused individual that he is. ;)

Terror loves to bring up bs that doesn't matter and stir people up. Even on his home board, katfans.com, he seems like he's more hated than me over there.

The people on my "home board" have a blocked view of reality which has led many of the more informed and "in the know" posters to retreat to private messages.

They ignore positives (gawd forbid anyone on that board ever acknowledge our athletic department as the tops in the SLC when it comes to all things academic or conference championships by teams that are not football, basketball or baseball) and simply beat the same ole dead horse...the most humorous of which is Pat, who is running people under the bus, the same individuals who provided him filming opportunities like no other photog has had in the SLC and provided him great video to pitch to potential individuals who he seeks jobs from. Guess you forget about the people who got you where you are today. That's successful networking.

Guest coachacola

Well, it is fun to watch you and UNLV go after each other.  The big problem I see with the SLC is that it gets no respect, even from a lot of schools and fans in the SLC.  I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to change that, but it does hurt all the schools in the SLC.  Money and tradition are probably the two most important ingredients to be successful in college sports, and that's where the SLC falls way short.

Well, it is fun to watch you and UNLV go after each other.  The big problem I see with the SLC is that it gets no respect, even from a lot of schools and fans in the SLC.  I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to change that, but it does hurt all the schools in the SLC.  Money and tradition are probably the two most important ingredients to be successful in college sports, and that's where the SLC falls way short.

More money is on the way for the TX schools as it seems all of them have passed in the last year or so, fees that will generate more money towards athletics. Now, if this just goes to help keep up with the increased costs from year to year (insurance, increased scholarship costs, etc) or if this goes above and beyond, is probably a different story from school to school.

The reason I shared that was more along the lines of how humorous it was that the schools that many thought would be quicker to add football were not necessarily the ones to add football. It was not meant as an attack on Lamar.

If anything, I was just trying to get UNLV worked up...the confused individual that he is. ;)

The people on my "home board" have a blocked view of reality which has led many of the more informed and "in the know" posters to retreat to private messages.

They ignore positives (gawd forbid anyone on that board ever acknowledge our athletic department as the tops in the SLC when it comes to all things academic or conference championships by teams that are not football, basketball or baseball) and simply beat the same ole dead horse...the most humorous of which is Pat, who is running people under the bus, the same individuals who provided him filming opportunities like no other photog has had in the SLC and provided him great video to pitch to potential individuals who he seeks jobs from. Guess you forget about the people who got you where you are today. That's successful networking.

It didn't work. I was more curious at why you didn't post an update on that thread...

And what kind of recognition is SHSU getting for having Academic All Americans, an article in The Huntsville Item? So impressive...

Sure helps getting players when you can tell them about our graduation rates, how our athletes have the top GPA in the conference year to year and the most Commissioner Honor Roll selections. You'd be surprised, but academics does hold some weight. Best thing an athletic program can do is find student-athletes who can get full academic rides and not use up an athletic scholarship, especially in those Title IX sports or even sports like baseball, which are not fully funded.

Bob Marlin can promote being a successful student and an athlete. He seems to have almost half the SLC all-academic team the last three or so years.

I guess you could say maybe it can help you get upper level SLC caliber players, maybe beyond SLC talent, however, HE DOESN'T! Y'all are pretty bad this year.

MFFL -- your intelligent banter is starting to reach levels only equaled by that of UNLV.

We lost all of our key players (sans Ramirez) from last year's squad and despite that, with a young team, we are going to be right in the thick of things in the SLC race. Our team has been competitive and came with a basket or two of beating a North Texas team picked to win the Sun Belt's West Division.

This team is going to be good and they are only going to get better as the season goes along. There's a bit of an excitement from those who actually have some sort of basketball IQ, including the coaches, because they get to teach this year and they think this team is going to peak later in the year than most Bearkat teams of year's pasts.

And you are right, we do not get SLC caliber talent or beyond SLC talent -- probably explains why we won 20+ for the last three years, a feat Lamar probably has not pulled since several years before your birth. Heck, the vast majority of the fans at Montagne Center probably vaguely remember those days from the early to mid 1980s -- an eternity ago for them.

I'm enjoying Bearkat basketball thoroughly this year, the foundation is there for a strong team next year and the year after.

I guess you could say maybe it can help you get upper level SLC caliber players, maybe beyond SLC talent, however, HE DOESN'T! Y'all are pretty bad this year.

MFFL -- your intelligent banter is starting to reach levels only equaled by that of UNLV.

We lost all of our key players (sans Ramirez) from last year's squad and despite that, with a young team, we are going to be right in the thick of things in the SLC race. Our team has been competitive and came with a basket or two of beating a North Texas team picked to win the Sun Belt's West Division.

This team is going to be good and they are only going to get better as the season goes along. There's a bit of an excitement from those who actually have some sort of basketball IQ, including the coaches, because they get to teach this year and they think this team is going to peak later in the year than most Bearkat teams of year's pasts.

And you are right, we do not get SLC caliber talent or beyond SLC talent -- probably explains why we won 20+ for the last three years, a feat Lamar probably has not pulled since several years before your birth. Heck, the vast majority of the fans at Montagne Center probably vaguely remember those days from the early to mid 1980s -- an eternity ago for them.

I'm enjoying Bearkat basketball thoroughly this year, the foundation is there for a strong team next year and the year after.

If you haven't noticed, I haven't compared SHSU to Lamar in this thread. I will if you'd like me to though. I think if Roc has 3 straight 20 win seasons, we are in at least 1 post season tournament during that time, and Roc could get above caliber SLC talent if he had that on his resume.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43