Louis To Lamar!!!

Bruins RB to Ags, QB to Lamar

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

One West Brook running star informed NBC's listeners on national television while a Bruins passing whiz quietly told The News of his collegiate decision.

Christine Michael is headed to Texas A&M while Christian Louis is committed to sign with Lamar. Two offensive standouts and members of the 37th annual Port Arthur News Super Team, Michael and Louis, traveled totally different roads to their pledge announcements on Saturday.

Another coveted Southeast Texan college recruit, Aldine Eisenhower defensive back Craig Loston, ended his tug-of-war recruitment when the 6-2, 180-pound safety picked Louisiana State University.

The great portion of all this recruiting season's suspense virtually has concluded exactly a month prior to the Feb. 4 national signing day for college football recruits. That is, unless any significant pledges should change their minds during the final month.

Until that time, Mike Sherman has to refrain from publicly bragging about Michael at A&M and Ray Woodard has to keep quiet about singing the praises of Louis at LU.

Michael stepped up to the grandest stage of all on Saturday at noon just before kickoff of the annual U.S. Army All-America Bowl in San Antonio's Alamodome. NBC cameras beamed Michael's decision to the nation, as the Most Valuable Player of the News' Super Team offered the game's first declaration, picking A&M's cap rather than LSU or Oklahoma.

"As a person, I've been over there quite often and that's a real good fit for me," Michael said. "They've accepted me over there real well and they have a great academic program. I felt like I was right at home."

A top 30 nationally rated player and a top 10 state recruit, Michael combines a low-to-the-ground 5-11, 202-pound frame with a 4.45 speed in the 40. He dashed for 3,927 yards and 80 touchdowns in three varsity seasons under West Brook head coach Craig Stump.

When Michael announced his decision to play at Aggieland to the nation, a former A&M quarterback named Craig Stump stood right behind him in front of NBC's cameras.

"You always find this one thing or that one thing that a running back usually is lacking but Christine is the total package," Stump said. "He's just a tremendous inside and outside runner with great vision. He catches the ball well coming out of the backfield and he blocks well in picking up blitzes. He's a fine young man and just a great all-around talent."

The announcement for Louis did not require the same fanfare. The 21-5A first-team all-district quarterback from West Brook liked the idea of staying in a similar spread offense at Lamar that the Bruins deployed. Christian also welcomed the idea to play under LU head coach Ray Woodard and quarterback coach James Brown, a former West Brook and University of Texas quarterback.

While Louis announced the verbal commitment to sign with Lamar, all verbal commitments remained non-binding until the Feb. 4 national signing date. Louis expressed his intention to still visit Sam Houston State on Jan. 16.

"It's just right for me to stay at home and play in front of the home fans," Louis said.

The West Brook pledges, as well as Eisenhower DB Loston to LSU and Lufkin tackle Jamarkus McFarland to OU, basically dwindled the list of Port Arthur News area and state recruits down to only six. The 119 non-binding pledges out of 125 names contained 18 players committed to the Fiesta Bowl-bound Texas Longhorns, 15 to A&M, 13 to Oklahoma, and

10 to Houston.

Loston made his announcement on Friday at Disney World. The coveted Eisenhower safety participated in the Burger King All-America Skills Challenge at Disney's Wide World of Sports. The skills competition was an event leading up to today's Under Armour All-America Game at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

Loston had prematurely pledged to A&M in his sophomore year only to de-commit when he realized he decided too soon. Then Loston dropped a commitment to Clemson and switched to LSU after the South Carolina ACC school fired coach Tommy Bowden.

Very few major decisions remained on the recruiting chart. Several universities still liked the versatile skills of Sulphur Springs quarterback Tyrik Rollinson, who played in the U.S. Army game on Saturday.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats